LMDE Suggestion

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE Suggestion

Post by bkovacs »

Why can't LMDE just be based off of Debian Stable, instead of messing things up with Testing!. Since the Ubuntu version has a poor support cycle for non-LTS releases, LMDE based on Wheezy would be a better option for many. Also since the KDE developers may bee entirely giving up on Ubuntu, thanks to the we only care about us mentality at Canonical. LMDE based on Debian Stable would make better sense. Debian 7 is awesome!.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: LMDE Suggestion

Post by Crewp »

Although LMDE is based on Debian testing, I find it very stable. I run Wheezy on another box I own and it's very good as well. But what makes you think LMDE is not that stable? To me Cinnamon on top of Jessie works very well. :D
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Tho I agree with there is a lot to be said for LTS.
That doesn't mean it's best for everyone.

Some need latest fixes in apps they try to use daily.
And any apps with bug fixes that impact a users needs in using in a daily setting.

True many just want to be on the bleeding edge for no rhyme or reason than just because.
And there are other's that their needs are fulfilled by apps that are mature and stable.
With no need for added new functions or features. And are quite happy with LTS.

And other's that are waiting patiently for fixes in apps like LibreOffice fixes to expand
their usability and compatibility in everyday use.

Same goes for me anxiously waiting for darktable 1.1.4 with layers support.
Or Calibre 1.9 for managing my ebook library and devices.

I switched from Mint KDE ubuntu base to SolydK KDE Debian Jessie (Testing) where the Solyd team puts testing even thru more testing before release in monthly update packs. And been less bug free and stable then Ubuntu distro's overall. And fresher apps with the added functions and features that I actually need and use.

Debian Stable just isn't for me. As I need the newer not bleeding edge just on productivity issues. And find their term Testing misleading as is more stable then the word implies in my experience.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

bkovacs wrote:Why can't LMDE just be based off of Debian Stable, instead of messing things up with Testing!. Since the Ubuntu version has a poor support cycle for non-LTS releases, LMDE based on Wheezy would be a better option for many. Also since the KDE developers may bee entirely giving up on Ubuntu, thanks to the we only care about us mentality at Canonical. LMDE based on Debian Stable would make better sense. Debian 7 is awesome!.
At that point, why not just run pure Debian stable? You can install some Mint themes and basically have LMDE. In theory, you could grab a copy of LMDE that came out before Wheezy was released, change the repos to Wheezy and run from there. You'd have to disable the original Mint repos, however, or you'd probably break the system once a new Cinnamon comes out.

I believe that the developer's intentions with LMDE is to great a distro that's in between stable and testing. If you want more cutting-edge than LMDE, there's testing. If you want more stable, there's stable.

From my experiences, I've never had an issue with stability with LMDE compared to Wheezy.
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bkovacs »

Crewp wrote:Although LMDE is based on Debian testing, I find it very stable. I run Wheezy on another box I own and it's very good as well. But what makes you think LMDE is not that stable? To me Cinnamon on top of Jessie works very well. :D
By looking at the comments regarding Update Pack 7 and it's breaking allot of systems. Plus when I went to install LMDE, I had all kinds of graphic problems with appling various themes. Also I had to manually load the default wallpapers, since they were not their after a fresh install. I could go on!.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

bkovacs wrote:
Crewp wrote:Although LMDE is based on Debian testing, I find it very stable. I run Wheezy on another box I own and it's very good as well. But what makes you think LMDE is not that stable? To me Cinnamon on top of Jessie works very well. :D
By looking at the comments regarding Update Pack 7 and it's breaking allot of systems. Plus when I went to install LMDE, I had all kinds of graphic problems with appling various themes. Also I had to manually load the default wallpapers, since they were not their after a fresh install. I could go on!.
A big reason why you see a lot of UP7 breakage posts on here is because these forums aren't as lively as they used to be. There's not a whole lot to talk about outside of tech support, so that's all people post a lot.

If you're interested in Debian stable, go give Wheezy a try. I ran it before I switched back to LMDE and it's great. Some software is older (gnome-shell is a big example), but Wheezy-backports are great in bringing up to date versions of programs like Libreoffice to stable.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

bkovacs wrote: By looking at the comments regarding Update Pack 7 and it's breaking allot of systems. Plus when I went to install LMDE, I had all kinds of graphic problems with appling various themes. Also I had to manually load the default wallpapers, since they were not their after a fresh install. I could go on!.
Maybe people without problem with UP7 just haven't posted here... :roll:

Return to “LMDE Archive”