Default firewall in Mint.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abickerton

Default firewall in Mint.

Post by abickerton »

Hi,

Having just re-installed after far too long, I realised that I had at some point configured an iptables firewall. On a completely clean system, the firewall is set to allow all; even forwarding, this is bad.

For future spins of LMDE at least could we at least disable forwarding by setting the iptables policy to drop by default. Personally I usually allow all outbound, for inbound rules allow established or related and anything coming from the local subnet.

Maybe my settings are not ideal, but it's just my 2 cents.

A.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Default firewall in Mint.

Post by mike acker »

abickerton wrote:Hi,

Having just re-installed after far too long, I realised that I had at some point configured an iptables firewall. On a completely clean system, the firewall is set to allow all; even forwarding, this is bad.

For future spins of LMDE at least could we at least disable forwarding by setting the iptables policy to drop by default. Personally I usually allow all outbound, for inbound rules allow established or related and anything coming from the local subnet.

Maybe my settings are not ideal, but it's just my 2 cents.

A.
do you need a firewall? or does your router provide this?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
kurotsugi

Re: Default firewall in Mint.

Post by kurotsugi »

the tittle is a lil bit misleading. I think it should be 'default firewall policy in LMDE'. AFAIK it turned off by default. we already have ufw and gufw installed but user need turn it on and configure it by themself. if you're not satisfied with this schema you can try to ask clem to change the firewall policy.

Return to “LMDE Archive”