LMDE release date?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gryphon

LMDE release date?

Post by gryphon »

I have to admit that I'm really excited for the upcoming release of LMDE with Cinnamon 2.0 (and possibly with the new features introduced in Petra: performance improvements, better MDM, etc.)

Is there any news about the release date? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clfarron4

Re: LMDE release date?

Post by clfarron4 »

Update Pack 7 was released back in September 2013, so it may be a while yet.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 7?

LMDE ISOs will be updated with Update Pack 8 after the Mint 16 release to feature MATE 1.8, Cinnamon 2.0 and all the improvements planned for the upcoming version of Linux Mint.
- from http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2455
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

clfarron4 wrote:Update Pack 7 was released back in September 2013, so it may be a while yet.
Is there a release schedule? I'd like to have an approximate date so that I can decide whether to wait for LMDE or install the Ubuntu-based Mint for the time being.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

gryphon wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:Update Pack 7 was released back in September 2013, so it may be a while yet.
Is there a release schedule? I'd like to have an approximate date so that I can decide whether to wait for LMDE or install the Ubuntu-based Mint for the time being.
No, there is no release schedule.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I hear Cinnamon 2.0 will be backported to LMDE this month. also no ISO for UP7 but Clem said ISO's after UP8.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

It's too early to talk about it anyway. KDE and Xfce editions of Mint 16 aren't out yet - and LMDE always gets the updates or backports last.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

KDE and Xfce editions aren't even in testing phase http://community.linuxmint.com/iso so it looks like it will be a while before I can wipe window$ off my laptop pc :?

Thanks for your replies.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

gryphon wrote:KDE and Xfce editions aren't even in testing phase http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Strange. To me they seem to be in testing phase looking at your link. Xfce is 83,61 % tested ( http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/239 ) and the most recent testing version of KDE was rejected two weeks ago ( http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/248 ). So something is happening with regard to Petra KDE and Petra Xfce.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

be happy. the problem seems not DE specific issue. if everything goes right, we'll got all petra edition in this month and new UP will comes for testing around january/february.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

*testing* in january/february? I guess I'll have either to compile Cinnamon 2 from git, or switch back to Debian and use another DE.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

You could do worse than switch to [url=http://solydxk.com]Arjen Balfoort's SolydXK[/url]. When I got myself a new computer recently, I faced the choice of either using a hopelessly outdated LMDE iso and going through the same update mess as before, or downloading a very recent SolydX iso and installing a couple of non-Xfce packages that suited me better than their Xfce counterparts. Guess what I did.

For me, the way LMDE is constantly falling behind isn't exactly confidence inspiring. It's history as far as I'm concerned.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

That's interesting, but SolydXK has nothing to offer to me. I chose Linux Mint mainly because of Cinnamon (after ditching Gnome 3 in disgust and trying all of the other desktop environments and window managers), and because LMDE follows, at least in theory, the rolling release model. Unfortunately, it seems Mint devs stick to Ubuntu's model even for LMDE. So the only choices left for me are Arch Linux (up-to-date Cinnamon packages are in the repos) or Debian + git builds of Cinnamon. Too bad.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

if cinnamon is your main interest then sticking with LMDE is your best choice since LMDE only one step behind mint main edition to get newest cinnamon. other distro usually still using older cinnamon. there are better solution but it will require higher skill on system maintenance.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

kurotsugi wrote:There are better solution but it will require higher skill on system maintenance.
In some cases, much higher maintenance skills (thinking ArchLinux).
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

it's not as higher as that. you only need familiar with terminal, apt-get/aptitude and their configuration. debian have their packages pre-configured. in most case we only need to install it and let it work.
Riko

Post by Riko »

[url]http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2503[/url]:
Work is starting on LMDE UP8. We’re expecting it to hit “incoming” before Christmas.
which probably means a release in Jan/Feb 2014 was a good estimate.

I find LMDE a rock-solid distro. I ventured away a few times to try something new (including SolydX) on a 2nd partition but still run as my main OS (however slightly tweaked to be hybrid of stock LMDE-UP7 and Debian testing/unstable/experimental. probably nothing for the chicken-hearted :)
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

Riko wrote:I find LMDE a rock-solid distro. I ventured away a few times to try something new (including SolydX) on a 2nd partition but still run as my main OS (however slightly tweaked to be hybrid of stock LMDE-UP7 and Debian testing/unstable/experimental. probably nothing for the chicken-hearted :)
I guess you're right. I've spent months trying all sorts of distros and desktops and LMDE/Cinnamon was the (only) winning combination. I tweaked it using unstable repos too, however an up-to-date Cinnamon is another story... Not wanting to wait for UP8 I ventured to look for an alternative, but I found nothing comparable.

So LMDE is it, even though for me that means a couple of months without Linux...

Edit: Now that I think of it, replacing repositories with incoming ones should give me a (somewhat?) working LMDE around the end of this month. I don't mind minor bugs but... Good idea? Bad idea?
Riko

Post by Riko »

gryphon wrote: Edit: Now that I think of it, replacing repositories with incoming ones should give me a (somewhat?) working LMDE around the end of this month. I don't mind minor bugs but... Good idea? Bad idea?
I don't think is an answer to good or bad :) Depends on how much you are willing to struggle to get back to a working system, IF something breaks seriously. I often / usually use incoming repositories and haven't really run into any disaster so far, but there is a first time for everything.

It's always a good idea to make an image of your system partition before doing so, so it's a snap to restore your installation, if things go wrong. It helps if you have /home on a separate partition, then your image is only about 10 Gigs.
gryphon

Post by gryphon »

Thanks for your reply, Riko. I haven't used incoming repos before, but from what I gather it's a bit like running Sid (debian unstable): scary but only in theory :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”