[SOLVED]UP8 after LMDE new installation

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED]UP8 after LMDE new installation

Postby magisterludi on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

Hi to all, I realized that I'm not too well-timed, I installed LMDE Mate 64 bit today from the ISO 201303 and now I am reading about the UP8.
Because at the moment I haven't a connection working I have to wait this evening to update but I'm a little worried about that, can I perform all the updates together (UP6,UP7 and UP8)? Or is it better to wait for the new ISO to be released? I installed LMDE on a my friend's PC because I think it's a simple and complete distro but if there will be problems I think that he could not have a positive impression and the hard work done to convince him to use linux will be lost.
What is the most safe method to update starting from the distro as it has been released about a year ago?
Thanks and regards
Last edited by magisterludi on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
magisterludi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE new installation

Postby Monsta on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 pm

magisterludi wrote:can I perform all the updates together (UP6,UP7 and UP8)?

Yes, but be absolutely sure to read the UP notes before the upgrade. UP6 is already in your system, so read the notes on UP7 and UP8.

magisterludi wrote:Or is it better to wait for the new ISO to be released?

It's better if you don't want to download a gigabyte of updates after the installation. Also the new installer will probably have the support for EFI and GPT, so if that matters for you, I'd suggest to wait.

magisterludi wrote:I installed LMDE on a my friend's PC because I think it's a simple and complete distro but if there will be problems I think that he could not have a positive impression and the hard work done to convince him to use linux will be lost.

LMDE is not recommended for newbies, as it's clearly stated on this page:
Pros:

• You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
  • It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.
Cons:

• LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
  • Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
  • No EFI, GPT or secureBoot support.

Of course he will not have a positive impression when something breaks on the next upgrade (and things can break, we can't test every possible case). I recommend giving him Mint 13 LTS, it's stable, supported until April 2017 and easy to use.

magisterludi wrote:What is the most safe method to update starting from the distro as it has been released about a year ago?

It doesn't matter when it has been released. The safe method to upgrade is posted in the blog every time a new UP is released. The latest post is here.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE new installation

Postby magisterludi on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Yes, I already read all the posts about the update packs.In my experience I've been more lucky with debian than with ubuntu so I preferred LMDE, for some time I though have to assist him in discovering the linux world.The update seems to be very smooth, I told him that the pc will be ready tomorrow, so I should have some time to repair some eventual break but I hope that all will go smoothly as at this time, Best regards,thank you
Edit: the update was ok. I don't know why at the restart the system has disabled the nvidia driver and was using nouveau, I had to login in recovery mode and reinstall the nvidia drivers, then all has gone well
magisterludi
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Open Discussion