Software Toolbox

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Software Toolbox

Post by mike acker »

this is a chitter-chatter topic so I'm posting in the "Open Discussion"

I regard myself as a refugee -- from commercial software. That's the main reason I've migrated from Windows/7 to Ubuntu, and from Ubuntu to MINT, and now to LMDE/MINT

I'm running the RC201402 LMDE/MINT. So far: Excellent. I think the good folks who have built this for us all deserve a "commendable"!!

as is wont to happen though in these migrations sometimes new tools have to be adopted. So this will be a bit of chatter about that new Software Toolbox.

this morning I found myself searching for a replacement for Kolourpaint. I found a "Kolourpaint4" in the Software Manager but when I installed it it didn't appear in the start menu :(

I tried out some of the alternates and settled on "mtPaint" . the learning curve is 500% more that for Kolourpaint,-- but there seem to be more capabilities.

In my case this is not a problem. As an ORF* and the weather FREEZING outside I've got nothing better to do than to enhance my software experience :?

I think Software categories generally are:
1. OFFICE: Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Simple scan, PDF_Shuffle, Document Viewer, mtPaint, FileZilla, gedit, archive manager, calc, BlueFish
2. Photography: gwenview; gimp.
3. Music: Audacious, Audacity, Sound Juicer, Brasereo
4. Video: OpenShot, kzam

kolourpaint -- activates just fine from a terminal command
k3b -- dropped -- no .flac support; using sound juicer instead
Simple Scan is usually the better scanner tool as it needs less fiddling with settings . If gscan2pdf handled the duplexer in the HP6500 desk jet it could scan 2 sided dox and would be the preferred selection or at least a preferred alternate .

( basically following the 4 main user libraries )
~~~
"ORF" : Old, Retired Fellow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
kurotsugi

Re: Software Toolbox

Post by kurotsugi »

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep kolourpaint
dpkg -l |grep mtpaint
this command will check whether if they got installed or not. if it didn't appear on the menu there might something wrong with the menu program. we can use terminal to launch them.

man mtpaint
man kolourpaint
you can use these command to figure out more about the program.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

thanks

~ $ dpkg -l |grep kolourpaint
ii  kolourpaint4                                      4:4.11.3-1                      amd64        simple image editor and drawing application
 ~ $ man kolourpaint4
No manual entry for kolourpaint4
[16] ~ $ man kolourpaint
No manual entry for kolourpaint
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
[16] ~ $ 
[16] ~ $ dpkg -l |grep mtpaint
ii  mtpaint                                           3.40-1+b1                       amd64        painting program to create pixel art and manipulate digital photos
~ $ 
the paint program should be just 'kolourpaint' -- not 'kolourpaint4'
i'm guessing 'kolourpaint4' is just a piece of the package :?

I can work at learning to use mtpaint.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the package have been correctly installed. sometimes package name have different name in the menu. they should be on menu - graphics. if they still not exist you can try calling their program from terminal

kolourpaint 
#in case if you want to call mtpaint, 
mtpaint
#it also work for other programs
firefox
libreoffice
audacious
pidgin
#in case if you don't know the full syntax, type a part of it (we'll use libreoffice for an example)
libre
#continued by pressing tab twice. the command will be completed or it will show all the possible command. 
#we usually could get help by "-h" or "--help" option
libreoffice -h
libreoffice --help
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

it activates perfect from terminal
thanks!!!!!

my LMDE/MINT 201402 is running like a Champ!!
¡Viva la Resistencia!
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi mike acker,

One possible reason Kolourpaint4 is not showing up in the menu is because it is a KDE app. To check and possibly correct this go to: /usr/share/applications
Find the icon for Kolourpaint4. It may have another name so you may only recognize it by the icon. Right click on the icon and choose to open with text editor. Look for a line that reads:

OnlyShowIn=KDE;
If that line appears then that is the reason it is not showing up in the menu. To fix this do the following:

Make sure your File Manager is showing hidden files. Then go to your Home folder to: /.local/share/applications
If there is no applications folder then create it. Copy the Kolourpaint4 file from /usr/share/applications to /.local/share/applications.
Again, right click on the icon and choose to open with text editor. Find the above line and delete it. Save the file and it should now appear in the menu.

Hope this helps. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”