Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I love LMDE!

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks for the info Killer de Bug.
I would respectfully suggest the Mint team consider the following idea:
Follow Jessie into freeze and then into the New Stable with LMDE. Then track New Stable Debian Jessie. Use backports for slightly newer big apps like LibreOffice and Gimp and Firefox, etc. For those who want to experiment, they could still change sources, use apt-pinning, and take their chances on following Testing or Sid if they like. But Mint is known for its Stability, and with the gtk issues you mention for Cinnamon, following Stable seems an obvious choice going forward. It would not limit those who want Testing, especially with MATE, they could just change sources and dist-upgrade. And if Mint hasn't tweaked the Stable Debian base too much, its possible that LMDE could dist-upgrade to future Debian Stable releases every two years.
Will be interesting to see where LMDE goes :-)
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

It really will be interesting, these next several months, to see where Clem and the Mint team take LMDE. I use it all the time with the Cinnamon DE.
I just hope it doesn't fall by the way side as time goes on.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

killer de bug wrote: But, as I said yesterday, Jessie has currently GTK 3.12. Cinnamon 2.2 doesn't work (for now at least) with GTK 3.12. So we cannot catch easily with Jessie which is... the next stable release. :?
For now we are stuck with UP8. UP9 will provide Cinnamon 2.2 but I'm not sure what will come with it... Obvioulsy not Evince, Gedit, Evolution, Totem... 3.12,
Ok! My mistake! Cinnamon2.2 is working fine with GTK 3.12.
For UP9 it's fine. :)

If Jessie is frozen with GTK 3.12 the road toward stable will be fine. But it will probably be GTK 3.14 at that time and the team will have to work... :?
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

So LMDE should do the same and have the same version of GTK than Linux Mint main. This will be achieved by reducing the number of UP
I understand the dilemma created by the upstream GTK3. Yet, I think regularly scheduled UPs are a valid request. :)

While LMDE security updates are pushed at a reliable pace, non GTK related bug fixes are not and backports are not. For example, desktop sharing is broken. This needs to be fixed for all versions of Mint, not just LMDE. Waiting 6 months to a year for bug fixes like this is a challenge to most users.

Regular UPs need not be comprehensive or huge. Just issued at a dependable pace. Not to mention that smaller UPs mean less likely to cause breakage. :)

The lure of LMDE is the semi-rolling nature. A pure rolling release is very time consuming to many users other than the geeks. Not to forget routine breakage that only the geeks handle well. A fixed stable release does indeed grow stale in the fast-paced world of free/libre software. Semi-rolling seems like a great sweet spot.

Regarding the well-known staleness of Debian Stable and LMDE following stable, UPs remain necessary for bug fixes and backporting popular apps, such as LibreOffice, GIMP, etc. Firefox and Thunderbird basically fall into the category of security updates nowadays. I could live with LMDE following Stable or following Testing at a very conservative pace. I think most users could too. Yet when discussions of UPs arise, I think a primary focus is the slowness of which popular apps are backported. For LMDE users the UPs are the preferred way of getting updated packages.

While Cinnamon is much affected by the upstream GTK3, Mate does not have that limitation. Right now we would all welcome a small UP that includes Mate 1.8. Hopefully soon after LM 17 is officially released. :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman wrote: Regarding the well-known staleness of Debian Stable and LMDE following stable, UPs remain necessary for bug fixes and backporting popular apps, such as LibreOffice, GIMP, etc.
Not true
woodsman wrote:While Cinnamon is much affected by the upstream GTK3, Mate does not have that limitation. Right now we would all welcome a small UP that includes Mate 1.8. Hopefully soon after LM 17 is officially released. :)
It will come after the release of LM17...
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

killer de bug wrote: ...
If your UP only include GIMP, Firefox, octave, you can do it. But don't expect too much :lol:
That would be enough for me (updates for: Firefox, LibreOffice, Pinta, Inkscape, Gimp and few other main programs). And of course some security updates.
I appreciate stability above all. (but I dislike also total staleness, staticity, inmobility). :wink:
Just the modest opinion of a loyal user of LMDE... :lol:
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xfrank wrote: That would be enough for me (updates for: Firefox, LibreOffice, Pinta, Inkscape, Gimp and few other main programs). And of course some security updates.
I appreciate stability above all. (but I dislike also total staleness, staticity, inmobility). :wink:
Just the modest opinion of a loyal user of LMDE... :lol:
Then stable + backports is better than testing + UP. With testing and UP we don't have security fixes very often ;)
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the UP policy made me curious. testing will constantly move in next two years and got new GTK in every 6 months while main version will stuck with current GTK version. this fact won't changed even if we reduce the UP freq down to 1 UP in every 1 year. reduce the UP freq IMO sounds like adding more problem with the current LMDE.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

That's why LMDE will probably move to Debian Stable... :lol:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you said "LMDE should do the same and have the same version of GTK than Linux Mint main." I wonder how we can do that by switching to debian stable. mint 17 have gtk 3.12 while debian stable according to this page (http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gtk+3.0.html) stuck with 3.4 until we got newer stable. we can't also wait until jessie becomes stable since the gtk will be changed into 3.14 or even newer. it seems that testing is the best scenario for LMDE.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

For me Ubuntu 14.04 has Gtk 3.10.

And of course, now we cannot go to Stable. That's logic... We will catch Stable after Jessie is released. And no, testing is not the best option if you use Cinnamon...
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

3.4 to 3.10 that's a 6 gap. isn't it just repeating same problem? next year, when jessie becomes stable we'll have around 3.16. one year later main version will got around 3.22 while jessie is still stuck on 3.16. it's clear that we'll never got same gtk version on debian stable and ubuntu LTS. instead of it why don't we just port the main version to the one on testing? it might not easy but it's possible. we've done it quite numerous times.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

kurotsugi wrote:3.4 to 3.10 that's a 6 gap. isn't it just repeating same problem? next year, when jessie becomes stable we'll have around 3.16. one year later main version will got around 3.22 while jessie is still stuck on 3.16. it's clear that we'll never got same gtk version on debian stable and ubuntu LTS. instead of it why don't we just port the main version to the one on testing? it might not easy but it's possible. we've done it quite numerous times.
I think you are forgetting about the long freeze coming for Jessie. Which will come what? This Fall or Winter? Even if Gnome is a bit ahead of Cinnamon right now, there should be time to catch up. I'm thinking last time the freeze lasted about a year? Before the Stable/Wheezy release. Then point releases can come between the next Stable release about 2 years later.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that was a rough calculation but the fact still remains. you can't get same gtk version on debian stable and ubuntu LTS. if testing becomes stable in next two years, that's actually the worst scenario for you. at that time new LTS will came and you'll have a more than 1 year development gap for your gtk.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:I think you are forgetting about the long freeze coming for Jessie. Which will come what? This Fall or Winter?
On the 5th of November 2014.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

kurotsugi wrote:3.4 to 3.10 that's a 6 gap. isn't it just repeating same problem? next year, when jessie becomes stable we'll have around 3.16. one year later main version will got around 3.22 while jessie is still stuck on 3.16. it's clear that we'll never got same gtk version on debian stable and ubuntu LTS. instead of it why don't we just port the main version to the one on testing? it might not easy but it's possible. we've done it quite numerous times.
I don't know how you're counting but it's entirely false. You have a new GTK version every 6 months... not 6.

There is a gap of roughly one version between a Ubuntu LTS and Debian Stable. The team can adapt for this, because after that, they have 2 years without adapting Cinnamon for a new GTK. They can entirely focus on developing new features and not correcting what has been broken upstream... If you don't understand the gain, I can't help you...

And you're one of the first guy always requesting Security Fixes. With stable you will get them every days. :roll:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

nope...I'm just feeding up my curiosity :3
you said that they want to get same gtk version in mint and LMDE. I'm just curious how would the team achieve it. I'm on a self customized debian and by any means won't affected with any policy regarding the future of LMDE. I'm just here watching how LMDE goes or help someone who need help.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Monsta wrote:
KBD47 wrote:I think you are forgetting about the long freeze coming for Jessie. Which will come what? This Fall or Winter?
On the 5th of November 2014.
Thanks Monsta. I knew it was coming soon.
Matsuro

Post by Matsuro »

I just wanted to chip in with the thanks to the Mint team! I'm loving LMDE, and I hope it continues to get better and better.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Yes, it's a good distro. Stable and good to learn the debian way. I'm anxious to test Cinnamon 2.2 on it :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”