The future of LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kurotsugi

Re: The future of LMDE

Post by kurotsugi »

security stuffs is one of LMDE's minus point :3
for anyone who run LMDE they need to keep an eye to these sites:
1. debian testing security tracker https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra ... _urgency=1
2. debian security advisories https://www.debian.org/security/#DSAS

these are the latest advisories.

Code: Select all

[09 Apr 2014] DSA-2899 openafs - security update
[09 Apr 2014] DSA-2898 imagemagick - security update
[08 Apr 2014] DSA-2897 tomcat7 - security update 
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

according to this review: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... 01403.html the future of Mint is LMDE only... 8)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
cyb3rc0de

Post by cyb3rc0de »

LMDE will never die :)
I know that... people are not having much problems with it, so they don't wanna bother coming here on forums. LMDE is awesome distro, my whole office uses it. It simply won't die! :D

Recommend LMDE to all your friends and make other people know about that distro, by doing that you are really helping us out :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

From LMDE tracking SID thread.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46#p850446
Hi Wayne... :D

.............. All is fine here both with SID install and Debian Testing. I honestly dont understand all the issues that folks have with Debian distros utilizing Update Packs. (well, I do, too many updates all at once.. :shock: ..)

My feelings are that it is best to update daily and avoid the messes. Been running LMDE with its original (following Debian Testing repos) since it first came out (Dec, 2010) with few issues. Running SID (on Siduction) since last July, updating daily with no issues other than the occasional hold back. Never a real breakage.

Debian with Update Packs can never work as intended (prevent or even minimize breakages) unless there is a real and thorough testing of the Update Packs prior to general release. As it stands now you have about a half a dozen 'informal testers' (mostly just forum members) who update and report issues. Not an adequate method of testing, so you always see many issues with each new UP. I am afraid things will never be really 'stable' with the current testing of UP's. I personally would suggest anyone using Debian and not tracking a straight Debian Stable (that is, following Testing, and semi-rolling with UP's) to follow the existing forum threads to head off potential issues, and update daily. You will learn a lot more (have a chance to see what each package is, and does by looking at its description in Synaptic something easily done with the 5-20 daily updates, and not feasible with UP's and many hundreds of updates.

I also use this as an opportunity to find packages that are not really needed (Foreign language fonts, wifi drivers, et...for example) that I can remove and not have to constantly download and upgrade for no reason.. A win/Win all over as far as I am concerned.
A little more work overall, but satisfying and a good learning experience.

For those wanting (needing) a very stable operating system. I would recommend to any of my friends one of the Ubuntu based LTS distros.. :wink:
My feelings are to abandon the Update Pack (semi-rolling) and revert to the original follow Debian Testing repos and full rolling with daily updates that LMDE first had. Less stressful and more fun. A better learning experience, and overall less issues.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

GeneC wrote: ...
My feelings are to abandon the Update Pack (semi-rolling) and revert to the original follow Debian Testing repos and full rolling with daily updates that LMDE first had. Less stressful and more fun. A better learning experience, and overall less issues.
+1
Rolling update model is one of key reasons people choose LMDE over the main ubuntu-based branch.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Repeating it more often will not give you more UP xfrank... :lol:
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Daily updates are too stressful and annoying. I am an experienced user and would not like daily updates. Or weekly. I just don't have that kind of time. Only a few people do. :)

Now that Mint main will be based on a LTS edition, and maintenance is now theoretically easier and less stressful to the staff, I am hoping Update Packs receive more attention. I would like to see monthly updates, but quarterly would be fine too.

I don't think a rigid schedule for Update Packs is necessary. A general policy of every one to three months with three months being the latest, would be great. I am waiting for the Mate 1.8 and Cinnamon 2.2 updates. I realize the Cinnamon updates first need some upstream updates before 2.2 can be merged into LMDE.

Yet other updates are necessary and should be pushed as quickly as possible. For example, desktop sharing is now broken. Something like that just needs to be fixed as soon as practical.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman:

Read the discussion starting from here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p863424
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I suspect setting a release schedule could be difficult because mint is down stream from a number of other development projects. The speed, volume and quality of these other projects may very well affect the work load and time needed for the Mint folks to do their job. That is why I favour the "when it is ready it is ready" approach. enjoy
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I hope it stays. I've used LM for about 2 years (also includes using Debian). About 2 months ago, I switched to LMDE. I think this is the way to go.

Keep up the great work here! Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”