LMDE is terribly slow

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nobodynoze

LMDE is terribly slow

Post by nobodynoze »

LMDE is slow. I didn't time the boot time but I'm waiting forever and then when it goes to login screen, the dial spins for a long time. What is most annoying is how long it goes from when I first choose LMDE in GRUB to the desktop.

I have Debian KDE and Ubuntu w/ Gnome on the same drive and both boot up way faster. I figure that the devs just spend more time on their main Ubuntu base so whatever bugs are in LMDE never get fixed. I've had the same slow speed the previous LMDE version, too. I installed the latest to see if anything had changed but nope.

Also, the logo is kinda large even though I installed the latest video drivers (in my current case, it's Nvidia) as I've noticed on another install, it's much smaller. Not sure if there is that is indicative of something but I was curious about it. Anyway, next time I have to do a re-install or if that install ever gets hosed, I'll just install straight Debian and decide on a DE for it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
woodsman

Re: LMDE is terribly slow

Post by woodsman »

Next time you start the system, interrupt GRUB and edit the LMDE boot option by removing the 'splash' boot option. Be sure not to press Enter to continue booting but F10 as disclosed in the Grub lower instructions. Without the splash you will see the normal stdout during both startup and shutdown, which might provide clues about the hang.
nobodynoze

Post by nobodynoze »

woodsman wrote:Next time you start the system, interrupt GRUB and edit the LMDE boot option by removing the 'splash' boot option. Be sure not to press Enter to continue booting but F10 as disclosed in the Grub lower instructions. Without the splash you will see the normal stdout during both startup and shutdown, which might provide clues about the hang.
Okay, thanks. It's really frustrating because I can't see why it should be slowed down for some reason. It is default settings same as the other distros I use - which, honestly, don't have all that much different going on. I would have thought normal operation, LMDE w/ Cinnamon would actually be a bit faster than KDE or Gnome, if anything. :-/
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

LMDE w/ Cinnamon would actually be a bit faster than KDE or Gnome
Cinnamon expects 3D hardware acceleration from the video chip set. If that is not available you would see a slowdown because then the acceleration is performed through software.

I avoid the problem and use Mate for the people I help. As all of them are Windows refugees, Mate is more than sufficient and is far more compatable with XP era hardware than Cinnamon.

Of course, if you have 3D hardware acceleration then Cinnamon should run just fine. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”