Will we get LMDE change notifications?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Will we get LMDE change notifications?

Post by tlcmd »

Recognizing that change is inevitable, most of us running LMDE are becoming aware that something is going to happen. Will those of us who are happy with LMDE get adequate and simple information of our options when LMDE is phased out to something else? I do enjoy using LMDE and prefer it to the other semi or rolling distros since it works well for me. So a plain language discussion of the options when the time comes for a change would be appreciated since I'm not a computer guru.
Thanks,
tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zill

Re: Will we get LMDE change notifications?

Post by Zill »

tlcmd: From "The Linux Mint Blog Monthly News – July 2014"...
After a long reflection and many discussions the decision was made to switch Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) from its current snapshot cycle to a Debian Stable package base. The transition from Update Pack 8 to Debian Jessie should be smooth and similar to a traditional UP upgrade, in sync with the upstream Jessie freeze planned for November this year.
LMDE is currently based on (semi-rolling) Debian Testing, currently known as Jessie. LMDE will become based on Debian Stable only after Jessie becomes the new Stable. This means that, if you are happy with your current LMDE then you should be equally happy with the "new" LMDE as nothing will really change, other than minor changes to repos which I expect will be actioned via an Update Pack in the usual way.

The change of base from Debian Testing to Debian Stable does, of course, mean that there will be fewer updates/upgrades as these will be limited to security updates and a few packages such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

If you prefer to live dangerously and have more "bleeding edge" packages then you are free to change your repos to follow Debian Testing but, unless you are happy to fix a broken system, I would not recommend this course of action.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Zill is right, but I would like to add that I believe we will see better Mint tools, and a more polished Cinnamon DE, now that the Mint team will have a little more time to focus on Mint. This could be the beginning of a real boost for LMDE.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks for the responses. I just want to keep my LMDE since I am finally familiar with it and use it virtually all the time instead of my other OS (Windows 8.1, which is a real mess). A good OS is like a good car, you keep on driving it and maintaining it until it becomes obsolete or unreliaable. Thus far, for me, LMDE has been very reliable.

tlcmd

Return to “LMDE Archive”