Questions regarding LMDE and LMDE 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Questions regarding LMDE and LMDE 2

Post by tlcmd »

For those of us who are barely computer literate and are still learning our way around the Linux termanology, I have a couple of (I think) simple questions. I am veery happy with LMDE and appreciate that it is a semi-rolling distro. Will it remain such as it is made a stable distro? Secondly, what will be the chief differences between LMDE and LMDE 2?
Thanks,
tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: Questions regarding LMDE and LMDE 2

Post by Crewp »

tlcmd wrote:For those of us who are barely computer literate and are still learning our way around the Linux termanology, I have a couple of (I think) simple questions. I am veery happy with LMDE and appreciate that it is a semi-rolling distro. Will it remain such as it is made a stable distro? Secondly, what will be the chief differences between LMDE and LMDE 2?
Thanks,
tlcmd

The main difference between LMDE and LMDE 2 is that it will be based on Debian stable, instead of Debian's testing branch. It will not roll, but have periodic updates.

IMO, the Mint tools, and Cinnamon DE will be even more polished, as the dev's will have more time to work on them. We will also receive security updates just as Debian stable does now. But we will have to all wait and see how Betsy turns out. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Questions regarding LMDE and LMDE 2

Post by xenopeek »

LMDE 2 won't be a semi-rolling release; you'll generally only get updates for:
- New versions of Linux Mint developed software, like Cinnamon, MATE, and the Mint tools (e.g., Update Manager, Software Manager, etc.)
- New versions of software imported by Linux Mint, like Adobe Flash, Firefox, Thunderbird, and VirtualBox for LMDE
- Fixes for security vulnerabilities and critical bugs for all other software

LMDE 1 was a semi-rolling release, and you got periodic (about twice a year) "update packs" which gave you newer releases of software. So not just fixes for security vulnerabilities and critical bugs, but also new functionality. As it's been almost 9 months since the last update pack for LMDE 1, I'd say there won't actually be that much difference between LMDE 1 and 2. LMDE 2 will get you more frequent, smaller, updates to fix security vulnerabilities and critical bugs.

You'll still be able to upgrade in place from LMDE 2 to a future next LMDE release, so without requiring reinstallation.

The chief difference you'll get more timely updates for security vulnerabilities, you can expect less risk of problems from updates, and most importantly it does a way with the need for a lot of tasks the developers had to handle for LMDE--meaning more time is made available to work on Cinnamon and MATE, and on polishing LMDE.

Return to “LMDE Archive”