LMDE Review from Distrowatch

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gotjazz

Re: LMDE Review from Distrowatch

Post by gotjazz »

MALsPa wrote:I think a big difference between LMDE and Debian Testing is that you can download weekly build CDs for the latter, right? So you might not be faced with hundreds of updates right from the start, if what I'm thinking is correct.
Something htat might not be a bad idea for mint either though as soon as all the mint components like the live-cd and installer stuff is completely finished - after having months worth of testing updates to install is not only tiresome it's not completely unrisky too isn't it?
Or maybe a nice little netinst iso :)
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

One aspect that so far i think no-one has mentioned:
If LMDE is Mint thrown on top of Debian base, that should mean that I get Debian, but better looking and without the biggest Debian annoyance - the fact that you can't uninstall individual pre-installed programs without also uninstalling a whole bunch of stuff that you actually need. I remember trying to remove games from my users Debian PCs, but in doing so Debian wanted to remove Gnome!
In a business environment, Debian is not really a viable option for that reason, but Mint on the other hand allows an admin to quickly deliver all the programs a user needs and none of the programs which may adversely affect the user's work ethic (torrents, games etc...).
I love Mint's looks and simplicity, and I love Debian's speed and stability.
LMDE may be the answer to my prayers...
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm wouldn't the same packages from the same sources have the same dependencies in both systems? Are you sure that wasn't *just* some metapackage?

Although I've overheard on irc that it was a real pain to remove evolution from the distro....
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

gotjazz wrote:Well for some part I doo agree with the review - I am about to say goodbye to an ubuntu base but I really have to think long and hard atm if the updated mint installer is worth the wait (need to have a home partition on another dirve altogether) compared to just grabbing a debian testing netinst iso, install a minimal system with gnome-core etc and everything else as soon as I need it and be done with it. Don't get me wrong - I love LMDE and I'd love to see where it's heading but I really want to move over from my distrohopping partition soon.
On the other hand the reviewer really really downplayed the performance differences. I mean come on! the memory footprint is like HALF! of ubuntu.
Agree! It's only about 149mb in the first boot, and after a while, like me, using VirtualBox, installing other stuff and wanting some apps to be loaded at start up, is just about 220mb. So is not true what he's saying. It's a little bluff the way that this person or team, do their reviews... A bluff because is not well analyzed.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

really? for me it was aroung 90MB on the first boot.
Or are you talking about Ubuntu? Because that's already around 200MB after install iirc

Return to “LMDE Archive”