LMDE New Release!

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LMDE New Release!

Postby thermodynamics4 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 am

December 2. When the new LMDE Release is coming? :shock:

You have post to the bottom of the Stats a little message saying that after the new release of Julia 10, in December is going to be the new shinny, and powerful LMDE!!

Great Work Team!! Great Work!!

You takin' to me? there's no one else in here! You MUST be talkin' to me!!
Thinkpad Lenovo T400 Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26Mhz. 2G HD 250G. GM 4500 HD.Intel Pro Wireless Link 5100 AGN, Alfa 1000mw. LMDE, BackTrack and XP.

Thinkpad lenovo X61 T7500 2.2Mhz. 3Gb, HD 320G. Wireless 8191SE, Intel 3945, bluetooth. Debian 6.0, LMDE.
User avatar
thermodynamics4
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Mexico

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby gotjazz on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:55 am

well december still has 29 more days ;)
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby dnmint on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 am

I thought LMDE is a rolling release, no new ones.
Is the intended release a new one ?
Should I switch from my current LMDE?
ImageDNMint
User avatar
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Hyderabad, India ( mostly travelling)

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby Epipsychidion on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 am

dnmint wrote:I thought LMDE is a rolling release, no new ones.
Is the intended release a new one ?
Should I switch from my current LMDE?


From what I understand (and I'm a relative linux noob), any release following the initial should be a snapshot of where the distro is at in terms of package versions etc. So in theory, your current installation should update itself to be the same as the new release.
Lenovo X200s L9400 - 80GB Intel x25-m SSD - LMDE
Epipsychidion
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Corryong, Victoria - Australia

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby gotjazz on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:49 am

don't worry - noone needs to switch to anything. the new release will be interesting because of a new installer that supports multi-hd installation and encryption and things like that. Also iirc a 64-bit version is supposed to come out. so everyone who's happy with the way his lmde is installed can just keep rolling :)
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby Epipsychidion on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 am

gotjazz wrote:don't worry - noone needs to switch to anything. the new release will be interesting because of a new installer that supports multi-hd installation and encryption and things like that. Also iirc a 64-bit version is supposed to come out. so everyone who's happy with the way his lmde is installed can just keep rolling :)


I so hope that you're right about the encryption option - hopefully through LVM too. The only thing that had kept me from running LMDE as my laptop OS was the missing LVM integration - I have a bit of work sensitive data on it, and would prefer full disk encryption like what LVM allows.

That being said, I'm now running LMDE on 2 laptops, both Lenovo X200s. My main one has a standard LMDE installation, then slightly customized in terms of programs (Banshee instead of RhythmBox for example). On my other laptop, which I am using for evaluation and general fun, I have LMDE updated to the SID repos, and then running the liquorix updated kernel. As my first real foray into linux customization, I'm having a ball!
Lenovo X200s L9400 - 80GB Intel x25-m SSD - LMDE
Epipsychidion
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Corryong, Victoria - Australia

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby gjringo on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Image
User avatar
gjringo
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am
Location: Upwey,Victoria,Australia

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby dnmint on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 pm

gjringo wrote:NEELY EAR http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1595


I did as per this blog for apt update etc.
When it came to
Another thing worth mentioning is that mintMenu is now using pixels to define the size of its icons. After upgrading mintMenu, you can do the following:

* Right-click on mintMenu and select “Preferences”
* Click on the “Applications” tab and change the icon size to 22
* Click on the “Favorites” tab and change the icon size to 48
* Click on the “Places” tab and change the icon size to 16
* Click on the “System” tab and change the icon size to 16

I found that Icon sizes cannot be increased more than 4 for Applications & Favorites.
Also in Places & System there is no Icon size window.
Kindly advise
ImageDNMint
User avatar
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Hyderabad, India ( mostly travelling)

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby sgosnell on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:27 pm

'apt update' doesn't install updates, it just updates the list of available packages. You won't see the changes until you actually install the updates with mintupdate or in the terminal with dist-upgrade.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 pm
Location: Baja Oklahoma

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby dnmint on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 pm

dnmint wrote:
gjringo wrote:NEELY EAR http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1595


I did as per this blog for apt update etc.
When it came to
Another thing worth mentioning is that mintMenu is now using pixels to define the size of its icons. After upgrading mintMenu, you can do the following:

* Right-click on mintMenu and select “Preferences”
* Click on the “Applications” tab and change the icon size to 22
* Click on the “Favorites” tab and change the icon size to 48
* Click on the “Places” tab and change the icon size to 16
* Click on the “System” tab and change the icon size to 16

I found that Icon sizes cannot be increased more than 4 for Applications & Favorites.
Also in Places & System there is no Icon size window.
Kindly advise


My apologies.... Spoke too soon.
I upgraded via update manager. All instructions above could be implemented.
Thanks
ImageDNMint
User avatar
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Hyderabad, India ( mostly travelling)

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby dnmint on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 pm

I was able to get all Leel 1 &2 updates following Clems instructions.
Mint update still shows 297 level 3 updates.
Do I need to download them. Quite a few applications there are not used by me
Will be thankful for advise.
ImageDNMint
User avatar
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Hyderabad, India ( mostly travelling)

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby tdockery97 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:25 am

dnmint wrote:I was able to get all Leel 1 &2 updates following Clems instructions.
Mint update still shows 297 level 3 updates.
Do I need to download them. Quite a few applications there are not used by me
Will be thankful for advise.

If all you do is level 1 and 2 updates, then your copy of LMDE is NOT a rolling release. Most of those 297 updates are overall Debian updates that go on continuously and are what make LMDE a rolling release by keeping it always up-to-date. If there are items on the list of updates you are sure you don't want or need then you can right click the item and select "ignore". It will no longer show up on the list.
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby thermodynamics4 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 am

gotjazz wrote:well december still has 29 more days ;)


You're right, is just, that I am like a child with a new toy! :D
Clem Spoke, so everything is fine now... I am just wating for the release, because i don't want to install first LMDE in this computer... Want the new one. I have Only Windows right now, please help!!
I use Windows just for programing in the University, but later one I'll try to make my own distro... In 3 years. :shock:
Thinkpad Lenovo T400 Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26Mhz. 2G HD 250G. GM 4500 HD.Intel Pro Wireless Link 5100 AGN, Alfa 1000mw. LMDE, BackTrack and XP.

Thinkpad lenovo X61 T7500 2.2Mhz. 3Gb, HD 320G. Wireless 8191SE, Intel 3945, bluetooth. Debian 6.0, LMDE.
User avatar
thermodynamics4
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby jesica on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 am

I cant wait
Image

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159


Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
User avatar
jesica
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:54 am
Location: South Africa

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby gizmodo on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 pm

im waiting for this since im using lmde 32bit since release day 0 :P
(i am NOT part of the gizmodo team or related to them, just before anyone askes;) )

"Beliefs become reality.”

" full time IRCjunk"
User avatar
gizmodo
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:03 pm

See how you people are? I have a 64-bit processor but only 3GB RAM, so technically I don't have a reason to install the new 64-bit LMDE when it's released. But now you've infected me with the urge to try it anyway. :lol:
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby telenux on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:30 pm

I don't even know how anyone uses the DE. There's no info on it anywhere. Nothing on the packages, repositories or what version of Debian... Is it Lenny? Testing? Sid? Is it a mix of tweaked packages of pure Debian with Mint's own?

There's no links explaining or providing info. I would like to try it but with no info whatsoever, I think I will stick with Debian.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby tdockery97 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 pm

telenux wrote:I don't even know how anyone uses the DE. There's no info on it anywhere. Nothing on the packages, repositories or what version of Debian... Is it Lenny? Testing? Sid? Is it a mix of tweaked packages of pure Debian with Mint's own?

There's no links explaining or providing info. I would like to try it but with no info whatsoever, I think I will stick with Debian.

It is the Mint Desktop and normal Mint Tools built on Debian Testing. The experience is sort of like running Linux Mint 10 but instead of an Ubuntu base you have a Debian Testing base. It gives you all of the advantages of both distros in one. You receive all of the same updates that users of straight Debian Testing receive, plus the good stuff that is going into Linux Mint before the next 6 month release comes out.

I actually don't even need to be running Mint 10, but I'm a hopeless Mintaholic. :lol:
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby telenux on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:12 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
telenux wrote:I don't even know how anyone uses the DE. There's no info on it anywhere. Nothing on the packages, repositories or what version of Debian... Is it Lenny? Testing? Sid? Is it a mix of tweaked packages of pure Debian with Mint's own?

There's no links explaining or providing info. I would like to try it but with no info whatsoever, I think I will stick with Debian.

It is the Mint Desktop and normal Mint Tools built on Debian Testing. The experience is sort of like running Linux Mint 10 but instead of an Ubuntu base you have a Debian Testing base. It gives you all of the advantages of both distros in one. You receive all of the same updates that users of straight Debian Testing receive, plus the good stuff that is going into Linux Mint before the next 6 month release comes out.

I actually don't even need to be running Mint 10, but I'm a hopeless Mintaholic. :lol:
Yeah, I've tried it from the Live CD... not sure what it was, maybe Mint 9. The Debian project perked my interest.

I'm more of a Debian fan than Ubuntu. I use both, however. Is there any plans to have other DE choices with LMDE? Also, what is the official policy regarding releases and any chance of a rolling release?

I suppose one could upgrade to sid, too? :-)

I was looking for a 'user friendly' pre-configured Debian (like sidux/aptosid, for e.g.) like this. Another distro to try in addition to straight Debian. Maybe I will try this one! :)
telenux
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 am

Re: LMDE New Release!

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 pm

telenux wrote:I suppose one could upgrade to sid, too? :-)

A lot of LMDE users do. Personally I use Testing as a good compromise between cutting edge and stable.
Image

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Salem, Oregon

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests