Using Mint Debian as a stable, non-rolling distro...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beansandjeans

Using Mint Debian as a stable, non-rolling distro...

Post by beansandjeans »

I recently downloaded the Mint Debian ISO, and would like to install it soon on one of my computers. I'm definitely interested in trying out the Debian version of Mint, and seeing how it performs compared with the main Ubuntu-based version. But the one thing that I'm not so excited about it the idea of having a "rolling" distribution, where my OS is continually evolving, with significant changes as I use it...I want something more stable.

So, I understand that the final stable version of Debian "squeeze" will be released soon, and I would like to then use Mint Debian with the base being the stable Debian "squeeze," and have it stay that way for the next year or two or whatever (with just the normal updates and such). From this blog post, I understand that this option apparently does exist: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1543

"The choice is already here for LMDE users. If they want stability, they can switch from Testing to Squeeze and find themselves on Stable using the exact same system. If they want it to roll, they can stay on Testing and get ready for the wave after the Debian release..."

So my questions then are: 1. How do we do this? and 2. Do others here have experience with using LMDE as a stable OS; how is it that way?...

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays! :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anzan

Re: Using Mint Debian as a stable, non-rolling distro...

Post by anzan »

Go into software sources and change the word "testing" to "squeeze" in each instance. When Squeeze becomes Debian 6 stable, you will be on stable and only receive security updates and such.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

No one has experience with LMDE as stable, because Debian Squeeze has not become Debian stable yet, and LMDE is based on what is currently Squeeze.
Debian is thought to be releasing Squeeze this month..........but who outside of Debian knows ?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You can stabilize LMDE at the current state and freeze it where it is if everything is working perfectly the way you want. If you change the Debian repos from "testing" to "stable" you will definitely notice that all upgrades stop completely. The upside is nothing further will be added that can bork your system. The downside is that nothing further will be added to update your installed apps, etc. I did this for about two weeks and it was rock solid with no worries about system breakage. But after thinking about it I decided to change back to testing because I like my apps to be up-to-date. Once I started doing ALL my updates from command line outside of X I have had no more breakage.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

jeffreyC wrote:No one has experience with LMDE as stable, because Debian Squeeze has not become Debian stable yet, and LMDE is based on what is currently Squeeze.
Debian is thought to be releasing Squeeze this month..........but who outside of Debian knows ?
Actually, if you look at your sources.list ... LMDE is based on 'testing' and not on Squeeze.

Debian 6.0 Squeeze has been released as Beta2, should be released as stable in the next couple of weeks.
Already Squeeze is more stable than you can imagine.

Unlike most other Linux distros, Debian will only release a version when ALL the bugs have been fixed ... or it's not released.
Imagine a 'bug-free' OS ... go, figure.

Debian 'stable' is just that > "rock solid stable" > always.

I have been using the Debian 6 Squeeze as a Beta since Nov. 29th . . . you're gonna love it.

For most people, I would recommend not going with the 'rolling release' . . but to using Debian Squeeze(soon to be stable) with the Backports repositories added.
Change and point all your repros to Squeeze and not toward 'testing'.
The Squeeze+Backports have already been 'activated'
This way you are always 'stable' and up-to-date.
beansandjeans

Post by beansandjeans »

Thanks vrkalak and everyone else for the input :-)

I'll post again with an update once I've got it installed.... (still have to take my other computer out of storage first)
golinux

Post by golinux »

The Linux Mint Debian (201012) disk should arrive next week. Really looking forward to playing with it. I am also debating whether to go with Squeeze or Testing.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Have a look at Parsix linux OS.

It is Debian rock solid stable - will do all Mint will with the exception of Skype and Truecrypt.

Dyfi.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

golinux wrote:The Linux Mint Debian (201012) disk should arrive next week. Really looking forward to playing with it. I am also debating whether to go with Squeeze or Testing.
it is already out it came out yesterday
golinux

Post by golinux »

cpatrick08 wrote:
golinux wrote:The Linux Mint Debian (201012) disk should arrive next week. Really looking forward to playing with it. I am also debating whether to go with Squeeze or Testing.
I know. I ordered it from OSDisc.com and it's coming via snail mail. Can't download on dialup!!
tefera

Post by tefera »

At last I feel like i have the perfect OS. I hope I will continue to feel this way. Yet I see the need for a stable version out of the box. I plan to install LMDE on friends computers who are unfamilair with linux and have very slow, expencive or no access to internet. In that case the stable version makes a lot of sence. But i don't want to edit evey installation or ask thos who are cluless and I help by telephone.
If there is an option to choos the repo to point either to testing or stable at installation or post installation with a couple of mth cklicks lots of people would be less scared to try it out.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

golinux wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote:
I know. I ordered it from OSDisc.com and it's coming via snail mail. Can't download on dialup!!
I ordered the upcoming release of Debian 6.0 Squeeze (3.7 Gb) . . . to be delivered shortly after it is Officially released.

I'm excited. :D
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

debian 6.0 was just released today as rc1 http://debian.org/News/2011/20110113
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

@ cpatrick08 - That release was just the installer. ;-)
I am anxiously awaiting the final release along with everyone else.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

i got this email from the debian-devel list about the release of squeeze

Hi all,

Once again, and hopefully for a final time, I'm writing to you with a
release update.

Timings
=======

Now that a release candidate of the installer has been uploaded[0], and
tested, a few issues have been identified and was binNMUed today. This
should turn into RC2 by the end of the week. This means we are able to
begin the final preparations for a release of Debian 6.0 - "Squeeze".

Following on from above, we now have a target date of the weekend of 5th
and 6th February for the release. We have checked with core teams, and
this seems to be acceptable for everyone.

The intention is only to lift that date if something really critical
pops up that is not possible to handle as an errata, or if we end up
technically unable to release that weekend (eg., a needed machine
crashes, RC2 exploding in a giant ball of fire etc.). Every other fix
that doesn't make it in time will be r1 material. Please be sure to
contact us about the RC fixes you'd like included in the point release!

Status
======
From the usertags page[1]: you can see a total of:
Blockers for Squeeze bugs (4 bugs)
Planned for removal bugs (22 bugs)
Ignored for Squeeze bugs (109 bugs)

These have all been actioned/fixed. However, there are also between
25/30 bugs that haven't yet been tagged[2] and aren't hinted. These will
be actioned shortly.

Awesomeness of Squeeze
======================

We really need some more work on http://wiki.debian.org/NewInSqueeze,
please help contribute! Let's tell everyone why Squeeze will be the best
release ever.

As well as this, release notes, installation guides and documentation in
general, especially translations can always do with some work. Please
see previous mails on these, and help if you can.

Neil, on behalf of the Debian Release Team

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00002.html
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... ueeze-sort
[2] http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release= ... &crttags=1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i think anyone wanting to change for a stable LMDE should do it now until the 5th-6th Feb (when Squeeze probable will be released), after that date would be late to track Squeeze as the new testing begins.

i'm assuming something wrong here?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

zerozero,
On an initial install of LMDE, as long as you change your sources list before running any updates, you can stick with Squeeze instead of riding on off with Testing-Wheezy.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

rivenathos,
its not my situation exactly, i changed to sid long ago and happy i go, anyway thanks for the link, i already knew it :mrgreen:

but you can shade some light then onto the question of this thread:
- user x installs LMDE, updates and uses the system normally for weeks without changing the sources.list;
- one day comes to the forum and finds out a few topics talking about squeeze, sid, breakages, etc
- can he/she still change, say untill the 5th fev. the sources.list from testing to squeeze just to be on the safe side?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

zerozero, I thought you had that link, but was just making sure. I keep updating information on that site.

From the looks of things, yes, any updates done before the Squeeze release will be Squeeze. Updates done after Squeeze goes stable will be Wheezy, but that may be a week after the release. Unless the sources list is changed, everything is Testing. Traditionally, major updates will begin rolling in a week or so after Squeeze goes stable.

One good thing about LMDE Re-spin x2 is that it was released before Testing moved along with Wheezy. If someone wants to track Squeeze, they get the Re-spin x2. Soon enough, LMDE Re-spin x3 will be released. That version will already be weeks or months into the Testing-Wheezy packages, I am sure.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tks for for your input, was my idea aswell.
so it means that anyone here wanting to keep with stable have to make the move until beginning fev.

Return to “LMDE Archive”