Community Website and LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cliste

Community Website and LMDE

Post by cliste »

Hey, I was just wandering aimlessly around the community website there, and it struck me that I don't think it provides a good service to LMDE users.

It's easy enough to pick out the small few tutorials that are about LMDE, but it really becomes obvious in the software sections where there is nothing which says which packages are only for the main edition. I know everything can be compiled from source, but I have yet to get the hang of that! :oops:

I don't think it's a problem yet, firstly because the average LMDE user has a bit more linux know-how. Secondly as a small minority the community website has not begun getting clogged with LMDE specific tutorials and reviews that might confuse normal users!

Suggestion: Split reviews,tutorials etc into Main and DE, give a dropdown option where users can choose which edition(s) their contribution to the website is about, then only show users relevant tutorials etc by default.

Anyway I just thought I'd ask here, if anyone feels strongly we can take any of the better suggestions from this thread and create an idea on the community website. I hadn't got any concrete suggestions so I decided to come here first to see what people think!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Community Website and LMDE

Post by dawgdoc »

cliste wrote:Suggestion: Split reviews,tutorials etc into Main and DE, give a dropdown option where users can choose which edition(s) their contribution to the website is about, then only show users relevant tutorials etc by default.
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe instead of a dropdown list they should use radio buttons. At least some method to choose multiple options. Some tutorials will apply to LMDE and the Main Edition.

If only the user profile had the choice for multiple editions, I use LMDE and Isadora. There are others who use more than one.
cliste

Post by cliste »

I did notice a few calls for that while scanning the idea's page:

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/306

Out of curiosity is the community website administered by clem and the main developers?
I was trying to work out what software it is run off, it's a pretty impressive custom build!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

One the launchpad.net/linuxmintcommunity site Clem is listed as the Maintainer. I seem to recall that either two members of the community have something to do with moderating the site. I think either Suhanna or KittyKatt, but not sure which. I do not recall if I saw specific software mentioned during the development phases.

Return to “LMDE Archive”