LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beansandjeans

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by beansandjeans »

I had already started a separate thread about it, but having GDebi installed by default in LMDE would be nice.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for it to come with some games - perhaps the Gnome Games suite. Since it's a DVD there's plenty of room. Of course it's not much work to install them, and I guess at this point probably most LMDE users maybe tend to be a bit more experienced on average than those of the main edition. (So they'd more likely already know about Gnome games, etc.) But I think LMDE could be a good distro for Linux newbies too :-)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

beansandjeans wrote:I had already started a separate thread about it, but having GDebi installed by default in LMDE would be nice.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for it to come with some games - perhaps the Gnome Games suite. Since it's a DVD there's plenty of room. Of course it's not much work to install them, and I guess at this point probably most LMDE users maybe tend to be a bit more experienced on average than those of the main edition. (So they'd more likely already know about Gnome games, etc.) But I think LMDE could be a good distro for Linux newbies too :-)
10+ on Gdebi!! And I do agree--as its a DVD, might as well use the space........A nube would get a friendly Debian system---and that's a very good thing........
nemesis2all

Post by nemesis2all »

ikey wrote:I'll quote-reply to each post in turn afterwards, but I'd like to go over a few points so far.
It seems the installer certainly needs added support, people definitely want more control
in their systems so are we looking for more power options? How do people feel about
things like smxi/sgfxi ?

I like the idea of delta-packages, I'll look to see if mintUpdate could incorporate this
behaviour.
A repeated theme I'm noticing is that LMDE lacks its own real identity. Maybe
the community would like to answer that in their own way :)

I'd like to thank all of you for welcoming me back also, its a joy to work with such a
community and I'm proud to be involved in this project. With your input we can really
put LMDE on the map and make it a thoroughly more enjoyable experience for new
and old users alike.
+100 on smxi and sgfxi. To me that is an extremely important tool, and would be great if it was installed by default. To those that do not know about smxi and sgfxi I suggest looking into it. I can not say enough about how useful I think these scripts are.

Guess I could say a little about smxi and sgfxi while I gush about it to those that do not know about it. smxi performs various functions like dist-upgrades, kernel-upgrades, can clean up your system, and install different packages for you. It does a lot more than that, those are just the main ones off the top of my head. sgfxi shows a compatible list of graphics drivers for your system, allows you to install and remove drivers. It also backs up your current xorg config in case you run into trouble. They are two great tools to have in your lmde arsenal.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

And don't forget the "auto-install" options on the LMDE installer (like main edition) that will help make it more "newbie" friendly like regular mint :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ikey wrote:A repeated theme I'm noticing is that LMDE lacks its own real identity. Maybe
the community would like to answer that in their own way :)
my feeling aswell in both ideas :lol:
The Main Edition theme is nice, but is exactly that the Main Edition theme. I, too, think we need a specific branding for LMDE.
And the community can have a huge role into that.
Me, i'm useless :mrgreen: , i can't code, i can pick a gtkrc and tweak it a bit and in the end is always worst than the original :lol: , but we have gifted people around here, lets call them
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I'd like to reply and put in some feedback from a complete Linux newbie. As can be seen from most of the above posts, it appears the majority of Mint Debian users are pretty experienced. Most of this stuff is pretty clear to them. But I would bet that to a newbie like me, a lot is very confusing.

I have been using Mint Debian (64 bit) since it came out, and for the most part things have gone well. I have only been using Linux for a few months, and have been distro hopping all the while. I must have 15+ disks burned of various distros. At present I mainly use Mint Debian and OZ Unity. I have Mint 10 loaded as well.

My biggest stumbling points.

1. Setup using manual partitioning. I seem to have it down pretty well now, but that is after some real mess ups, and a few reinstalls.

2. Video driver installation in Mint Debian. First try was a huge failure, even following the tutorial closely. I picked the wrong version of the Nvidia driver. I ended up doing a complete reinstall. I tired a different version and that one worked. I looked at using "smxi" as had been suggested, but excuse me, but after reading some of the smxi home page, my eyes started to cross. I know nothing of "scripts", very little of command lines, et. A simple tool like the "additional drivers" used in Mint 9-10 would be of great value to new users.

3. Google Earth was a bear to get running. After trying all the conventional "fixes", I found that I had to also use some of the 32 bit Nvidia files for it to work on my 64 bit system.

If I wasn't retired with plenty of time on my hands, and actually enjoying "fixing" Mint Debian (to some extent). I think I would have given up on Mint Debian, and stuck to Mint 10. I'd be willing to bet many newbies, have given up for the same or similar reasons.

I like Mint Debian very much. I think its the best Linux OS out now. But, I think for it to be truly successful it has to be more newbie friendly.

One last point on "smxi". It appears to be a great tool. I am going to try to learn more and use it, but I think for the typical new user it needs to be simpler to understand..

Thanks all for the good work.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Google Earth included would not be bad either
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Forgot to mention....another "bug" that needs correcting is sometimes you will download a program either from package manager, software center or a deb file and it seems no matter what you do, it just won't show up in the linux menu at all! And if you go into "edit menu" it's not even on the list!

So, you will have an installed program, but no means to launch it in the menu... :roll:
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm some thought's on what I've read so far.

smxi sure is nice and all but I do think it#s quite right for the mint "target-group". and those who want to use it can just as well get it themselves (me, i've never had problems with plain old dist-upgrade and i don't need proprietary drivers or anything either so pfff ;))

the idea of a lmde-stable spin that tracks squeeze (or rather stable after the release - it'd have to come out after squeeze ideally) and a lmde stable repo sounds great. I prefer testing or sid but I'm sure a lot of people would go for that
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

just thought of another thing. Is there a way to make sure changes between respins keep rolling into an installed version? I mean some changes between the first two spins seem to have been dealing with default settings in some configuration files rather than actual package changes. (the kernel cgroup thingy for expample, right?)

Hrm and how about tracking the liquirix kernels by default (the "past" branch of the repo only to be somewhat on the safer side maybe. not quite as current as the main one but still almost always ahead of all major distros as far as i can see)
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Many thanks to the Mint team for all the time and effort they have put into making LMDE such a great OS.

I recently looked at Gnome3 and it looks like a it's been developed by folk who use a keyboard mainly rather than a mouse. http://gnome3.org/ I guess it would be OK on a laptop instead of the touch pad but I use a desktop.
I personally use the Gnome Main menu rather than the customized versions because there is less mouse movement and clicks and I find the tree format much more intuitive and user friendly.
A good alternative menu with many different themes is https://launchpad.net/gnomenu

I setup machines for first time users and normally give them a dual boot, XP and LMDE and give them remote support with Teamviewer and Skype.
The one app on XP that they take to immediately is Stardock Fences http://lin.me.uk/pics/fences.png home page at http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/downloads.asp.
A linux app going in that direction is http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php?co ... rumpage=11 but it's early days yet.

What I would like to see is an app developed, if possible cross platform, along the lines of Fences but including the tabs and functionality of the Firefox Speed Dial extension which will launch apps/plugins or java code. http://lin.me.uk/pics/firefox-02.png

Just my opinion as an end user but I think this would be a very useful and functional desktop instead of just being pretty.
Lets make use of the desktop, the biggest waste of space, real estate on any OS.

I think the LMDE installer is coming along very well and is one of the best I have used. I looked at the sgfx bits which was a bit beyond me, I don't understand manual speak i'm a simple soul, but a GUI for those scripts would be superb.

Thanks again for a wonderful Linux distro
ukbrian
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Most of us (i think) love the mint menu so i doubt that most of us would want to see it go...and it is easy to switch to classic gnome menu (which personally, i think is a pain in the butt and not convenient at all..plus no search bar either)...so if you prefer to use that...that's great but please do not suggest that it should be eliminated or changed as the default..it is part of the basic "mint personality" which make it distinctive from other linux distros :wink:
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

tracking the liquirix kernels by default
X2
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Dave68 wrote:
tracking the liquirix kernels by default
X2
+100!!!!!!
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

It appears folks are running the liquorix kernels fine and all, but if it's up for a vote I'd vote against. I don't necessarily need the newest shiniest kernel available. Especially since the grub menu only gives the option to boot to the newest kernel. It may be possible to update grub so it shows an option to boot to a previous one if you select it, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Even if it were an option, I'd still prefer to stick with whatever the current Debian testing is using.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

CiaW wrote:Especially since the grub menu only gives the option to boot to the newest kernel.
Nonsense it lists each every one that's installed - and if you youse grub as installed by another distro you might want to install lmde's grub into its root partition and chainload one grub from the other ;)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It may be possible to update grub so it shows an option to boot to a previous one if you select it, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
should do that for you.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

So what I'm seeing is 2 trains of thought--
1. Stable Squeeze LMDE--non-rolling. All the Debian goodness with the ease of Mint installing.
2. Unstable LMDE--rolling release with the liquirix kernel & fairly frequent updates. Maybe further customizing as to Testing or Sid with a proper warning.

My suggestion is a installed question about what source.list do you want at install time...I know everyone will point out that it can be edited after--but that allows a customized install :D
Maybe 2 different themes/wallpaper/installed options (more desktop user oriented with stable....more developer/software builder oriented with rolling)

Shoot--we have a DVD to play with :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

AFAIK Sidux and Mandriva were doing something "similar" - enabling the sources.list after install.
Sidux I only tried it once, so i can't recall exactly, but Mandriva i'm sure!
One great idea, only needs a script to do the job :) volunteers? :mrgreen:
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

gotjazz wrote:
CiaW wrote:Especially since the grub menu only gives the option to boot to the newest kernel.
Nonsense it lists each every one that's installed - and if you youse grub as installed by another distro you might want to install lmde's grub into its root partition and chainload one grub from the other ;)
I'm using the grub installed by LMDE 64, and I previously had the 32bit lmde grub (and before that I was using Fedora 13's grub). In addition to the current amd64 lmde kernel and the rescue kernel I get the options for the other distro's installed, namely lmde 32 bit (1 regular and 1 rescue kernel entry); Fedora 13 (3 kernel entries) and rhel v6 beta (2 kernel entries). Whenever there is a kernel update, that becomes the only amd64 listing available in addition to the other distro entries. I'll start a new thread so this one doesn't get side-tracked more than it is. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”