Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

GregE

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by GregE »

Gnome-Shell 3.8 is now in Sid. Tweaktool has not yet been updated but will now doubt transition soon. You can manually install tweak tool 3.8 from experimental as it is only one small file.

But - it has a bug, at least on my machine. Every time I try to open Applications All the shell crashes. I tried removing all the Gnome config and recreating, but so far no good. I will try a new user and see what happens.

:)

Edit: Clean new user does not help
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

I was having the same problem & rebuilt my menu to "fix" it...don't know if that will help your problem.......
GregE

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote:I was having the same problem & rebuilt my menu to "fix" it...don't know if that will help your problem.......
Thanks, the menu is obviously the problem, even in classic mode if you play with the menu Gnome crashes.

How did you rebuild the menu?

Edit: I am fixed. I played with dconf-editor to fiddle the menus and it did the job.
Edit2: not quite fixed. I have enabled categories and it only crashes when I select System or Other.
Riko

Post by Riko »

GregE wrote:Gnome-Shell 3.8 is now in Sid. Tweaktool has not yet been updated but will now doubt transition soon. You can manually install tweak tool 3.8 from experimental as it is only one small file.

But - it has a bug, at least on my machine. Every time I try to open Applications All the shell crashes. I tried removing all the Gnome config and recreating, but so far no good. I will try a new user and see what happens.
Cool! Thanks for the hint. Installed if via the Sid repos (including tweak tool-from experimental).
Run flawlessly on my LMDE. No crashes also not when open Applications All.

Cheers,
Riko

PS: I didn't have a pure LMDE install anymore though. Had to upgrade some selected packages from the Debian unstable or experimental during the life of my LMDE installation. Maybe that's the difference, but don't asked what it may be :)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

GregE wrote:
autocrosser wrote:I was having the same problem & rebuilt my menu to "fix" it...don't know if that will help your problem.......
Thanks, the menu is obviously the problem, even in classic mode if you play with the menu Gnome crashes.

How did you rebuild the menu?

Edit: I am fixed. I played with dconf-editor to fiddle the menus and it did the job.
Edit2: not quite fixed. I have enabled categories and it only crashes when I select System or Other.
/home/"user"/.config/menus--to /menus.bak Created a blank folder menus & then used Menu Editor to return to Defaults. Edited the new gnome-applications.menu to only have the items I wanted--make sure to exclude "Other" I now have a working Menu that is not crashing....

Also be sure to check your /.local/share/desktop-directories & clean as required....
GregE

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote: /home/"user"/.config/menus--to /menus.bak Created a blank folder menus & then used Menu Editor to return to Defaults. Edited the new gnome-applications.menu to only have the items I wanted--make sure to exclude "Other" I now have a working Menu that is not crashing....
Also be sure to check your /.local/share/desktop-directories & clean as required....
Thanks, that is pretty much what I have done, plus I have played around in /usr/share and /usr/local. In the end "Other" and "System Tools" crash my shell. I have excluded them from my Applications list and everything is stable.

I have a couple of entries that refuse to go anywhere other than Other, but I can wait and sit out the bug.

I have tried making a clean new user and it still happens. The source of the issue is outside of the /home folder in the system wide .desktop entries.

@Riko My system is also a hybrid of Jessie/Sid and Experimental. I have been systematically pulling back all experimental packages to try and run Sid. The difference could come down to one program installed on mine that has a feral .desktop file. I do not know, but at least I know that if yours is OK then there is a solution somewhere.
GregE

Post by GregE »

A lot of experimentation on multiple machines and it appears to be .desktop files created by Alacarte. Maybe the format changed? Still playing.

Edit: I renamed /usr/share/applications, created a new blank user and /usr/share/applications, then systematically re-instated each .desktop file. In the end there were two that caused the crashes

uninstaller.desktop
winecfg.desktop

Plus two entries I created using alacarte which were in ~/.local/share/applications

I manually copied a working .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications, gave ownership to myself then used it as a template to recreate my two manual entries and all is right in the world.

So, if you are plagued by this error watch out for alacarte, anything you may have installed from source and the above two offenders. There may be other problem .desktop files that are not installed in my system.

cheers
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

WARNING FOR EVERYONE!!!!! Gnome 3.10 packages are starting to be merged into Sid--Everyone use caution.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

autocrosser wrote:WARNING FOR EVERYONE!!!!! Gnome 3.10 packages are starting to be merged into Sid--Everyone use caution.
The breakage begins! :D
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

sammiev wrote:
autocrosser wrote:WARNING FOR EVERYONE!!!!! Gnome 3.10 packages are starting to be merged into Sid--Everyone use caution.
The breakage begins! :D
I always love the way sid users have fun breaking their computers... Anyway this is a thing Debian stable users (like me) really appretiate, so thanks.

As you can see [url=http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.10-status.html]here[/url] you'll have to wait a while til Gnome shell 3.10 reaches Debian sid
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well-I run a Experimental install & watch that page you just mentioned + get the dailies for experimental & sid---I just like to give people that are using a version down from where I'm at a "heads up" that breakage is on the horizon :)

All comes with good fun---I was "un-breaking" my system this weekend (& yes, it's fun for me....)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Happy New Year To All!!!
GregE

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote:Happy New Year To All!!!
And a happy new year to you. Some of us still lurk here and still run Gnome.

I am running Gnome 3.8 on Sid. It is boringly stable at the moment.

I tried Arch and it was a very nice 3.10. Rock solid and fast. But, I am a heavy user of Google Chrome, Google Talk etc and Arch makes that just a tad more difficult. You can install Google stuff but you cannot just add a repo and auto update like you can with Debian. Plus I had to re-install my HPLIP and download HP firmware too often. It was an interesting exercise and Arch is fine and probably great for non Google users. I also found Samba shares a chore in Arch.

I am avoiding experimental these days, but I see 3.10 is in experimental and probably not long now it will hit Sid.

cheers
Riko

Post by Riko »

Yeah, indeed lurking is good :)

I'm running LMDE UP7 with Gnome 3.8.4 from the unstable repos of Debian. Rock solid as far as I'm concerned !

Just wanted to let you know, you are not the only one! :)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Good to hear that there are still "lurkers" around these parts :) I majorly blew-up my Experimental install last week (that install lasted over 2 years!!!), so I build up a Sid to have a bit more "stability" & wait out the slow grind to 3.10 (got caught in a depends loop that I couldn't break---fought for over a week to fix it & finally bit the bullet that it was dead :( )......
GregE

Post by GregE »

I should not have mentioned that my Gnome was boringly stable, because now it is crashing whenever I open certain apps. One is Gedit.

I might have to look further. I have tried removing the config files and going with the defaults. Next step is the Debian Bug tracker.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

3.8.4 running like a freight train. Gnome is getting better each point upgrade.. :P (at least when the extensions catch up).. :wink: and they are now. Some nice onces. Gno-Menu, Activities Configurator, YAWL. The ONLY buggy thing is that I cant keep the favorites and Gno-Menu extensions from playing 'swap position' on the panel. Sometimes they behave, sometimes are swapped on first boot...

Also some graphics glitch. I can NOT move my conky (using Conky Manager that works fine with XFCE). It, like some extensions has a mind of its own as to screen position. ... :?:

Very happy with 3.8 otherwise...

Shell 3.8.4 on top of SolydX

Tempted to try 3.10 on my Siduction partition.... :lol:

No issues with Gedit...
Only crashes occur when I try new GTK themes, still very fussy about that only have 3 or 4 that work..
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--It is looking like the Debian boys are bypassing 3.10 & moving straight to 3.12 (better in my mind anyway).....We will see when 3.12 is released in the next couple of weeks..
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hey AC... :)

Well its wait on Siduction then..
Riko

Post by Riko »

3.12, huh? Sounds like we are going to have some fun soon :) Don't forget to keep you back-up image at hand :)

Cheers!

Return to “LMDE Archive”