Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

GregE

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by GregE »

Autocrosser your desktop looks good. I hope the transition from 3.12 to 3.14 goes smoothly. My 3.12 Jessie/Sid desktop is running nicely and I am reluctant to mess with it at all. But where is the fun in that? I upgraded to a new Mini-ITX box with a Haswell i5 with 8Gb of ram running on a pair of 256Gb SSDs and inbuilt Intel HD4600 graphics. It boots so fast it is almost instant and Gnome loads and runs very fast. Nothing like a reasonably high end machine to make Gnome Shell fly.

I am glad to see there are at least two Mint + Gnome Shell users.

:)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Glad to see you're still hangin' in there.... 3.12 was a good one, but already 3.14 (really 3.13.91) has "fixed" a couple of minor things---and introduced some things I need to think about (close-max-min buttons are now on the left in nautilus--boo! The light transparency is very nice--just need to figure a way to make it system-wide....) So, all in all it's a step in the right direction.....
GregE

Post by GregE »

Gnome Shell 3.14 in now pretty much complete in Sid, including the extensions pack. The list on extensions.gome.org is filling rapidly. I am using the XGnome Enhanced theme for 3.12/13 and so far it is error free.

Certainly now ready to use. I had a few glitches in the transition, but now it is fast, smooth and stable.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

1 month and 10 days. It's the time remaining for Gnome 3.14 to move to testing and be part of the freeze. Normally it should be ok.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Merry Christmas Everyone!!! I hope Gnome3 has treated all well......
GregE

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote:Merry Christmas Everyone!!! I hope Gnome3 has treated all well......
And a Happy New Year to you.

I am still an avid Gnomer, but really running Debian Sid, just with the LMDE repos for a few things like Firefox. I do not think there are many of us left around here. I have tried Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce4 and even KDE - and always end up back on Gnome Shell.

:)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Yes--about the same for me--Sid is my base, with some Mint in there & the Experimental repos to add "spice" to my life....... Runs very nice. I'm just waiting for 3.16 to shape up enough to play with. 3.14 has been very tame & stable. Just modded a Ambiance theme to my liking---the screenshot is not showing the slight blue outlines around the buttons..... :( The Shell theme is Grey-Gnome-Shell...I could post the gtk2.0/3.0 theme if wanted....
GregE

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote: The Shell theme is Grey-Gnome-Shell...I could post the gtk2.0/3.0 theme if wanted....
Yes please. I am always happy to play with themes. I am currently using Square Glass, but it will not last much longer. Too much transparency makes dialog boxes unreadable against bright backgrounds. I also often use X-Gnome Enhanced and Zukitwo.

cheers

Greg
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--The blue theme is close enough to use....Looks like I can't post it--max file size is 100kb & compressed the theme is 210kb.....:( I guess if you PM me with your email I can send it to you...

Return to “LMDE Archive”