Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

GregE

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by GregE »

Under the heading of "for what it is worth" ....

I have always been a bit irked that Gnome Shell's printer applet is next to useless so what is a Gnome to do. That is easy - just use the Gnome Shell "make a web app" function.

Open Epiphany and in the address bar type in localhost:631 and when the page loads got to the menus and select File -> Save as web application. Give it a good name like "Printer Config" and click OK.

You now have a menu entry that is called Printer Config and it will load Cups configuration and give you all the printer control you are missing. Just remember that in Cups the admin user is called root (nothing else will work) and use your normal password.

You can even load the Main Menu editor (alacarte) and change the icon to a printer.

enjoy
xircon

Post by xircon »

Something is wrong with my system, can change themes using the tweak tool, but it reverts back to default on log out / reboot. Tried copying the theme I want to the default folder, but it crashes - any ideas???
GregE

Post by GregE »

xircon wrote:Something is wrong with my system, can change themes using the tweak tool, but it reverts back to default on log out / reboot. Tried copying the theme I want to the default folder, but it crashes - any ideas???
Try creating a new user, log in to that account and see what happens. If it works then try renaming /home/xircon/.local/gnome-shell and log out and in again to a clean shell and set it up again. It sounds like screwed up permissions.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Cheers Greg,

Followed your advice, it is an extension not playing nicely - activitiesbutton@fpmurphy.com. Have removed.

Cheers

Steve
xircon

Post by xircon »

Well here is a strange one! Tried the Gnome Extensions site last night and it worked! No a clue what was going wrong :?
xircon

Post by xircon »

This thread is good:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813

I now have a "Linux Mint" corner ripple - oh so easily pleased :D
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--It looks like Gnome-Shell has reached a point where it has "matured" a bit....I hope everyone is having a good time with it!!!!!!
GregE

Post by GregE »

Ikey wrote:Gnome 3 is is just turning desktops into tablets.
I would have to disagree.

I use Gnome 3 as my desktop and would never go back to Gnome 2. I have installed and tested Cinnamon and I understand that many users want that kind of experience. The fact that nearly all the other major distros now offer Cinnamon also shows that many people want that experience. But, what Cinnamon shows is also the major strength of Gnome 3. Gnome 3 is infinitely configurable, it can be anything you want. All you need is imagination and a desire to craft your own experience. Cinnamon is still Gnome 3, it is an alternate shell. The explosion of extensions being created also shows that there are many users who embrace the new ideas. Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell is a malleable framework. Mint 12 with MGSE was the first distro to customise the default, to make something a little different. The other distos will eventually "get" the idea and make their own environments.

The standard Gnome Shell is very mouse driven and would make a terrible tablet interface. I use an Android tablet, first a Thrive now a Xoom, and have a lot of experience with Gnome and Android. I can see that Unity is heading to tablet territory. For Gnome to go there it would need a custom shell. Guess what? That is easily done. Gnome 3 is the framework of the future, Gnome 2 was a dead end.

So, just use Gnome 3 with a Cinnamon dusting and go into the future. I use Gnome Shell with a few selected extensions, a nice theme and Tweak Tool. I have no icons on my desktop because I dislike clutter. My desktop is a very dark blue/grey, no background images. One click in Tweak Tool and you can have desktop icons and litter them everywhere with the traditional desktop metaphor.

Gnome 3 can be anything - desktop, tablet, phone, media player etc.

It is easy, pick desktop.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Yeah, I use a desktop PC and am completely comfortable with gnome shell. I have no desire to use anything else.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I agree with GregE too. On the face of it, Gnome Shell may look tablet-friendly because some parts of the interface were inspired by tablet/phone UI. It could not be more wrong however. Gnome Shell relies on hotspots which is difficult if not impossible to implement for a touch-based input. An interface built for touch needs buttons large enough for a finger to press them comfortably. The only part of Gnome Shell I know of which has something like this is the Applications Menu.

Anyway, looks like tweaking Gnome Shell has got a lot easier lately. It's now as simple as installing a couple of packages. Install the gnome-shell-extensions package for a bunch of extensions including the user-theme extension. For the gnome-tweak-tool package, you will have to grab the version from Sid as versions 3.2.2-2 and earlier are broken. The earlier versions searched for the wrong uuid so they don't work out of the box. The Mint-Z theme has also landed in the LMDE repository. Good times! :)

Can't wait for Gnome 3.4, just because gsettings will work for extensions in the userspace too.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Ikey wrote:All of our understanding of computers, everything from our RFC's down to the HIG's, have been thrown down in an attempt to match competitors in the mobile workspace.
Perhaps the existing HIGs are being ignored because they were out-dated and no longer provided what we wanted. I have been using computers for at least 20 years and most every major OS and desktop UI in that time - nearly every Mac OS from 6 though the current 10.7, DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, KDE 4, xfce, Gnome 2, Gnome 3, Openbox and of all of those, I found the Gnome Shell interface the most intuitive and easiest to pick up. So rather than clinging to the old way of doing things, we should should be asking how we can improve on them to make the user experience better.
I want windows and icons on my desktops, its how I use it.
I've always hated having icons on my desktop. If I want to open an application, I will go to the Applications overlay/Start menu/navigate to the application binary and open it/use a keyboard-based application launcher. I don't want myriad shortcuts cluttering up my desktop workspace. The same goes for my files. I don't leave all my important files on top of my physical desk, that's where I get my work done, why should my computer's desktop be any different?
So why in gods name would we throw that all away, with these stupid full-screen-grabbing attention-seeking titlebarless app's that confuse the average user beyond common sense?
Have you actually used the Gnome Shell? I have six windows open in six different applications right now. They way they are layed out right now, I can see three of them. If I was working in something other than my web browser, I would be able to see more like 4-5 of them. The only things I ever run full screen are games and videos. Additionally, each and every window I have open has a title bar helpfully telling me what the application is (in case I can't tell from what is displayed in its window I suppose?).
Gnome 3 is essentially a mobile desktop scaled up to a large monitor. Seriously, the whole overview thing? Look at any Android web browser. Desktop full of icons with no *actual* desktop? Look at your blackberry's menu.
Can't say that I've used the Blackberry OS much, but I currently have an iOS and Android device sitting next to me on my desk. About the only similarities between Gnome 3 and those I can see is the grid layout for opening applications. At least in the GS Application overlay, the applications are listed in alphabetical order, which is far more sensible than whatever random arrangement the mobile OSs give you, and it allows you, on the fly, display specific application types to make the search easier.
C'mon people. Gnome 3 is the wrong direction and everyone knows it, it's about time someone said it.
A great many people have said that and it appears that they are being ignored. Probably because most people disagree. If the distro makers thought it was the wrong direction, they wouldn't be using Gnome 3 - instead many of the top distros on Distrowatch are using Gnome 3. If everyone knew Gnome 3 was the wrong direction, the MATE project would have exploded, but it appears to be a small, niche product used by only a few people. No one is forcing you to use Gnome 3, this is Linux, you are free to choose the DE you want to use. Go to KDE, xfce, or lxde. Try's Clem's Cinnamon, I hear that's generally well-liked. If nothing out there suits your needs, make your own DE, which it sounds like you are doing. Good on you, if you truly think you have a better way of interacting with the computer I look forward to seeing it.
Anyone who want's to go in that direction, fair play to you. I certainly won't. Anyone who wants to know how I'm actively against that and implementing counter-solutions, feel free to PM me.
Despite the fact I've been disagreeing with you throughout this post, I am genuinely curious what ideas you have. I certainly don't think Gnome Shell is the best desktop I will ever use, it does have its faults (although many of those are being fixed through further iterations of the desktop, remember we've only had 2 major releases thus far, and extensions) and if someone else was to release something I found superior, I'd start using that.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

It's interesting....I've used Gnome-Shell almost from the very first & have never thought that it was a "touch" interface....far too mouse-driven for that. I have talked at length with several of the GS developers & the general viewpoint I come away with is that it was far too labor-intensive to keep patching Gnome2 anymore--so Gnome3 was a mostly fresh take on the desktop interface---And has been pointed out in another post here---with extensions you can have almost any experience you want...from pure GS to "almost Gnome2 looks"---So I don't see the problem......

In any case--It looks like this thread has run it's course---if anyone wants to un-sticky it...it looks to be about time.......

Happy computing everyone!!!!!!
karashata

Post by karashata »

I've been using GNOME 3 and the GNOME Shell for nearly as long as they've been around as well and I doubt if I could ever get used to GNOME 2 or any similar desktop again, even Windows doesn't have the right kind of feel for me anymore (and this is coming from someone who used Windows nearly exclusively for most of his life up until a couple years or so ago...). Heck, I even used GNOME Shell back when it was around for GNOME 2, before GNOME 3 was released... (Though the look and feel of GNOME Shell *greatly* improved with GNOME 3...) Ultimately, I think I just like having a desktop interface that stands out from your more traditional Windows or Mac desktops, and I must say I've gotten quite used to being able to tap a button, type in a few letters or so, and be able to quickly launch an application without having to navigate through menus.

Ah well, everyone's entitled to their opinions.
chakramint

Post by chakramint »

Tried Mint 12 Gnome on a desktop when it was released and spent only an hour on it, then turned to KDE 4.8.
Now I revisited Mint 12 on my 12" laptop and the experience is night and day from that of on the desktop. You can really appreciate the modern GUI and the 'completeness' of the whole presentation.

So my general feeling is Mint 12 Gnome is great for laptops under 13.3" (or even 14")--definitely looking forward to the trademarked Ultraportables when they hit the $500 mark.

**Notice that primarily desktop users are the ones hating on Gnome3/shell? Try it on a laptop; it could win you over.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Greetings everyone!!! Current status of 3.4 in Debian: http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.4-status.html

Take care all!!!
secipolla

GNOME 4 preview!

Post by secipolla »

GNOME 4 preview!
tdockery is trying it on his electric cigarrete lighter :lol: :lol: :lol:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

For those of you that like gnome-shell and think that keyboards are just for typing on, this is a MUST HAVE extension:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... w-version/

If you combine it with this:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... indicator/

It is even better :D
teseglet

Post by teseglet »

I am every happy now that LMDE/Debian has Gnome 3 because I am a huge (modified) gnome-shell fan and don't like having to do a complete upgrade of my system every 6 months. I have tried all the major distros and most of the extensions for gnome 3/gnome shell and now LMDE has provided the final missing piece. The only downside with LMDE and gnome-shell is not all the extensions work or are located in the repositories, but the main ones I want I've figured out how to get working. I have tried Cinnamon and Unity as well... Cinnamon feels slow and dated and with Unity, the launcher panel keeps interfering when I go to click the back and forward buttons on the web browser, plus it does not feel as snappy as gnome-shell. For gnome-shell I've:
- installed cairo-dock
- installed extension to have min, max, close window buttons
- installed extension to change themes
- installed extension to disable "hot-corner" so it is not accidentally triggered

I don't know how else I would want to improve things at this point. I'm an extremely happy LMDE gnome-shell user.
LMDE Gnome Shell Screen Shot.jpg
[attachment=0]
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

I updated (upgraded) since I had other issues with my LMDE install and this system looks so horrible. There's no option to restart or reboot the system. LOL! Are the Mint and/or Gnome ppl on drugs?!? I say, Mint, because they're the ones tweaking things.

Gnome has no option for rebooting? That's difficult to ponder. I select '(x) mint' and the drop down menu has:

Notifications
Online Accounts
System Settings

Lock Screen
Switch User
Log Out

Suspend

No 'Restart' or 'reboot.' :lol:
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hit <Alt> and the Shutdown dialog appears, giving you the option to power off or restart.

Linux Mint has nothing to do with Vanilla GNOME3 in the Debian repositories. Linux Mint is working on it's own desktop now called Cinnamon.

Return to “LMDE Archive”