Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

GregE

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by GregE »

xircon wrote:Yep, new user works fine, will start another post.
I wrote this a while back - how to rebuild your home folder .....

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p571842

When all else fails.

:)
xircon

Post by xircon »

Cheers Greg

That was what I was trying to avoid :) but I ended up rebuilding :( Couple of little problems still to work through. Why can I never remember how I did something......
Old age!

Steve
GregE

Post by GregE »

For those of us that still use Gnome Shell I have been playing with 3.4 and some new extensions from extensions.gnome.org

Number one is the Axe Menu. It is like MGSE on steroids.

Number two is Window List extension which puts a task switcher on the Gnome tool bar.

Then add Move clock to right and the Hot-Corn-Dog extensions. Hot-Corn-Dog moves the hot corner to the bottom left. You can add other things like a notifications area and also turn on desktop icons if that is your want.

Result

Gnome Shell that mimics Cinnamon, but with the tool bar at the top.

autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Hmmm...I'm using Bolt right now...Like it quite a bit. Changes the overlay to a "Dash-like" menu set...not sure if I'll keep it, but works well for me right now. I'm still doing testing for Gnome, so I'll drop all the play soon to get "started" with 3.6.....
GregE

Post by GregE »

The Axe menu and top task bar ....

autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Very nice....looking like extensions are growing up very well......3.4 is working very well---can't wait til 3.6 is out....
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GregE wrote:For those of us that still use Gnome Shell I have been playing with 3.4 and some new extensions from extensions.gnome.org

Number two is Window List extension which puts a task switcher on the Gnome tool bar.

Then add Move clock to right and the Hot-Corn-Dog extensions. Hot-Corn-Dog moves the hot corner to the bottom left. You can add other things like a notifications area and also turn on desktop icons if that is your want.

Result

+1

Just enable experimental and upgraded Gnome Shell to 3.4
Extensions Used
AXE (Mint menu clone)
Hot-Corn-Dog
Favorites
Move clock
Aalternative Status Menu
Remove User name
Remove Accessibility

Only thing missing is Weather. Going to see if the old one, or Mock's works in shell.
Virtually the same as Cinnamon but with overview.
Very nice. :D
Don't even see the need to bother with Cinnamon (but probably will :lol: )

GregE

Post by GregE »

Gene,

I got my weather app from WebUpd8 as a deb file.

Easiest way is to temporarily add their PPA, then remove it once the Weather app is installed.

or just grabbing the deb from here

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc ... /+packages

GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Greg!

Thanks. Got the deb and installed it.
73 F and Fair :lol:
Looking good.
Also added the Window List.
Who needs Cinnamon? I like this better.

Be Well.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

That's the spirit!!!!! Gnome3/Shell is the future....and with the right extensions you can make just about anything you want with it.....
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi AC! :)

The Shell vs.Cinnamon usability differences all seem to be about the available extensions/applets.
Right now in Shell 3.4 and with https://extensions.gnome.org/
Shell seems to have an edge, at least for the way I use it. :wink:

It is slower to load the Cinnamon I have noticed.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Thanks Gene!!!
I've not been around much of late....work around the property & such + I've been involved with Debian bugs (experiential) & Gnome 3.6....Still running a experiential-sourced system (Pin: release a=experimental--Pin-Priority: 700) with no downtime for the last couple of months :shock: Was talking to a Debian Maintainer a while back & mentioned that my install is almost 1.5 years old---he was a bit surprised :lol: I just keep a very close eye on deb bugs--listbugs & error on the side of "Wait" if things look a bit "funny" :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

GeneC wrote:
GregE wrote:For those of us that still use Gnome Shell I have been playing with 3.4 and some new extensions from extensions.gnome.org

Result

+1

Just enable experimental and upgraded Gnome Shell to 3.4
Extensions Used
AXE (Mint menu clone)
Hot-Corn-Dog
Favorites
Move clock
Aalternative Status Menu
Remove User name
Remove Accessibility

Only thing missing is Weather. Going to see if the old one, or Mock's works in shell.
Virtually the same as Cinnamon but with overview.
Very nice. :D
Don't even see the need to bother with Cinnamon (but probably will :lol: )
So how is it going moving applets around in Gnome Shell? Dual panel layout coming around nicely? :D You can't make either one into the other anymore - and the closest to achieving it would be Cinnamon with a "Gnome Shell Overview" extension.

BTW, another mention for Bolt: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/330/bolt/

That thing is awesome.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well---extensions still are very new--I have adapted a "wait & see" on extensions & they are coming along very nicely.....I might stick my hand in the water soon & make my own..just need to know what functions to call..

And yes....Bolt is currently my favorite right now :D It needs a bit of "love", but it works very well.....
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

bimsebasse wrote: So how is it going moving applets around in Gnome Shell? Dual panel layout coming around nicely? :D You can't make either one into the other anymore - and the closest to achieving it would be Cinnamon with a "Gnome Shell Overview" extension.

BTW, another mention for Bolt: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/330/bolt/

That thing is awesome.
--------------------------------------------
As I mentioned:
"...Shell seems to have an edge at least for the way I use it. ..."
I only use a single top panel, so that works out :P
Moving things around on the panel is the only drawback, but there is some flexibility there, I moved the date, and weather to the right. It would be nice to be able to put shell extensions wherever you want though. Cinnamon has the edge there. Bottom line is that they are so close to each other, makes you wonder why the bother with going through all the trouble of developing Cinnamon? Its nice, I use it on a seperate partition. With the rapid development of extensions and the ease of adding/removing them from https://extensions.gnome.org/, shell is becoming more what people missed from Gnome 2.3. Shell and Cinnamon are becoming more and more like each other. I think that their success and which will be the most popular has a lot to do with the community and the development and refinement of applets and extensions.

Both are quite new and we don't know what the future will bring with either.
Glad to have the option of selecting either... :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Hmm, seems to me they are becoming less and less like each other every month, they don't even use the same window manager anymore.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hmmmm....... :lol:
Yes, but this is the LINUX MINT forum.
I would guess that Cinnamon would be the favorite here. :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm a Gnome Shell user just as much as a Cinnamon user, not trying to say one is better than the other - you just can't recreate Cinnamon in Gnome Shell, it's limited what you can do turning extensions on and of. Compare moving the clock by installing a move clock extension and moving the clock by drag-n-dropping it. Gnome Shell has a unified overview which Cinnamon doesn't have. Cinnamon has a wide array of compiz like effects which Gnome Shell doesn't have etc.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Agreed. Clem deserves credit for trying to give end users what they want. He is doing a good job there. People seem to like a DE that is similar to their Gnome 2.3 experience. I think he is doing a good job there. Of all the Destop Enviroments I like the Shell and Cinnamon best. Whichever is on top depends on what new applets/extensions are released. This week, for me, its Shell. Next week could very well be Cinnamon. :lol:

vive la différence :wink:
xircon

Post by xircon »

I'm a +1 for Cinnamon, Gnome is fine, I really like it, but I find Cinnamon more configurable.

Return to “LMDE Archive”