Upstart thoughts

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Upstart thoughts

Post by Silent Warrior »

:D (This means: FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!)

So, uh, I recently decided to try Gnome 3, shell and all (I shall not write about my feelings for it, hoping for the same courtesy from the rest of the pack :p - gives me time to figure out how to monkey about with Gtk3-themes) - just wanted to, you know, try it, for kicks - and then I started thinking about Upstart. Hasn't Fedora used it for a while now? What about openSuSE, Ubuntu, or yet others? I figured that with the, shall we say, rather invasive update due to dependencies I might as well go the whole nine yards. I still have a functional system, haven't I? But I get scaaaared when I see packages related to boot-up being replaced. (For the not-so-savvy don't-wanna-tinker-er, upstart replaces sysvinit, boot-critical system component.) Is anyone running upstart on LMDE right now?

Hm, perhaps I should go verify that bit about 'functional system'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Upstart thoughts

Post by viking777 »

Is anyone running upstart on LMDE right now?
There are bound to be people that are running it since some people use unstable repos on LMDE. (To my mind they are not using LMDE in that case but that is another question).

Upstart runs quite happily on Mint10 as you probably already know (maybe debian sid too, but not sure about that) so it may well work on LMDE - would you believe it has been in use since 2006! Personally I won't be trying it just yet.
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

Call me a dinosaur, but I would rather keep the old sysvinit. It works! I have had problems with upstart, especially with network mounts. Sure there are workarounds but you shouldn't have to.
Fedora was using upstart but was supposed to drop it in favor of something else (the name escapes me). OpenSuse? I'm not sure.
The whole "race condition" from upstart reminds me of Win95. Sometimes things work, and sometimes they dont.
Personally, I wouldn't miss it should it happen to disappear forever.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I see - I'll wait, then. But, wow, going to Gnome 3 + Shell really made GDM look interesting! 8)
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Some months ago I tried upstart on a LMDE machine, and it worked properly. I had to do a reinstallation of my system and now I uses sysvinit. I also upgraded to Gnome-shell, and I must say, the boot time is really a problem to me. I will give another try and I will let you know.

Regards.
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

I was using upstart since its first introduction in Ubuntu and, do you know, it was the main reason why I switched away from Ubuntu... :evil:
If LMDE / Debian is going to replace sysvinit with upstart before they make it just work, then it's time for me to try and look for something else...
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Well, i tried again, but upstard (from the testing repo) is not working anyways...

Regards.
greenpen

Post by greenpen »

luis.nando wrote:Well, i tried again, but upstart (from the testing repo) is not working anyways...

Regards.
I'm having lots of trouble with upstart too. It won't let me shut down properly, coming up with various error messages and locking up on the background sometimes. Also only loading the clock applet every second boot up. I never had any trouble with MInt 10. I'm pretty sure it has to do with upstart. Any way I can re install the previous init daemon setup? :?:
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Upstart was temporary for Fedora. They are going to use systemd.
I have started to switch over to systemd myself, not rid of sysvinit completely yet.
No problems and faster boot so far.
The next version of systemd is intended to obsolete consolekit.

Return to “LMDE Archive”