backports for a rolling distro?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
blinkinell

backports for a rolling distro?

Post by blinkinell »

Hi,

What I'm making is Blinkports which will be a desktop oriented backports style repo for Mint. For now at least that means pulling in packages from unstable, experimental, and mirroring other useful packages. Setting it up manually at first will be fairly simple I think, especially since there isn't much original work on the packaging, but there should be some challenges later on. I realize there is the Imports repo, but I'll need to do something like this before I could be useful to that.

Kernel

http://zen-kernel.org/
http://liquorix.net/

If you want to give it a go install the kernel and headers:

Code: Select all

aptitude install linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-2.6-liquorix-amd64
No point in duplicating the good work here, but should be mirrored.

Nvidia Drivers

I have been using apt pinning to get the latest versions from experimental, but this would be better done with a repo , and would be complimentary to things like Jockey too.

If you want to evaluate the stability of the drivers in the experimental branch you can do this, use at your own risk its working for me but if you can't rescue your system from a broken X config I would not recommended (or at least have a look on how to do that first)

taken form my own system, YMMV

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Video Card"
    Driver              "nvidia"
EndSection
in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
in /etc/apt/preferences.d/nvidia

Package: nvidia-glx
Pin: release n=experimental
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: nvidia-kernel-dkms

Package: libgl1-nvidia-glx

Package: libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32

Package: nvidia-vdpau-driver

Package: libcuda1

Package: libcuda1-ia32

Package: libnvidia-compiler

Package: nvidia-smi

Package: nvidia-opencl-icd
then install with
aptitude update && aptitude install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-dkms libgl1-nvidia-glx libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32 nvidia-vdpau-driver libcuda1 libcuda1-ia32
the exact same thing would work for unstable too, but you would also want this in the pinning file so you don't pull everything from unstable (although they are the same as testing at the moment):

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1
Friefox 4 - using the Mozilla binaries, just like Ubuntuzilla but this is for Debian.

compat-wireless - if you want to stick with the stock kernel but need some wireless drivers this will help - pre-compiled or a fetch/compile/install script are options here - anyone found or written anything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”