LMDE Name Change? Is LMDE becoming the Main Edition?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Isthmus

LMDE Name Change? Is LMDE becoming the Main Edition?

Post by Isthmus »

I was reading the release announcement for LMDX (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725) and saw the following sentence:

"...Similar to LMDE (which will eventually be renamed “Linux Mint Gnome”)..."

Now I realize that the article goes on to explain in great detail that the Main Edition will remain Ubuntu based unless they are forced to change things. I guess my question is why the name change? If LMDE is changing its name to Linux Mint Gnome, then what is the main edition to be called - Linux Mint Main Edition? Or is this a preemptive renaming in case mint decides that they need to move the main edition to Debian?

I'm probably over-thinking things, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: LMDE Name Change? Is LMDE becoming the Main Edition?

Post by craig10x »

I think paragraph #4 in that announcement gives you your answer (which is no) however, Mint Gnome will eventually be the only one that is available in a choice of ubuntu base or debian testing base...but apparently, the ubuntu base isn't going away unless it becomes incompatible with Mint (since he will not be adding gnome shell or unity)....

The main edition is and always was our flagship product. It implements the vision we have for Linux Mint and represents our most polished desktop. We do provide other editions and alternative desktops to please particular groups of people within our user base, but our main edition is where our biggest focus remains.

Unless major obstacles or changes meant either Ubuntu or Gnome 3 weren’t compatible with our vision of a perfect desktop anymore, this will not change. We’ll release two major desktops this year: Linux Mint 11 in May and Linux Mint 12 in November, and these two releases are by far the most important events for us at Linux Mint.

Switching editions to Debian Testing simplifies a lot of things and brings considerable advantages to everyone involved, but it doesn’t change our main focus and our commitment to our main edition, which is still featuring Gnome on top of an Ubuntu package base.
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

Isthmus wrote:I'm probably over-thinking things
Enough said.....
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Isthmus wrote:I was reading the release announcement for LMDX (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725) and saw the following sentence:

"...Similar to LMDE (which will eventually be renamed “Linux Mint Gnome”)..."

Now I realize that the article goes on to explain in great detail that the Main Edition will remain Ubuntu based unless they are forced to change things. I guess my question is why the name change? If LMDE is changing its name to Linux Mint Gnome, then what is the main edition to be called - Linux Mint Main Edition? Or is this a preemptive renaming in case mint decides that they need to move the main edition to Debian?

I'm probably over-thinking things, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
I would say it makes sense to change the name, since the Acronym LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) will apply to more than one edition in the future... I mean - if You only go by the acronym we already have two LMDE, and when the planned Fluxbox release comes we will have three of them - all "fitting" the LMDE acronym.

As I understood it the Ubuntu-based Main edition will keep it's numbering, while we will also have Linux Mint XFCE, Linux Mint Fluxbox, Linux Mint Gnome, Linux Mint... - and all of them will be Debian based.

- Or am I completely lost in my way of thinking?
Kevin_711

Post by Kevin_711 »

I would suggest a naming scheme similar to this:

Change the E in LMDE to the first letter of the desktop environment provided with that distro.

For example, LinuxMint Debian Gnome would be LMDG, KDE would be LMDK, XFCE would be LMDX, and so forth.

Otherwise, I am getting really confused when it says LinuxMint Gnome and that's Debian but the word Debian wasn't in there at all so wth?

Return to “LMDE Archive”