Tip: Live USB of the Linux Mint XFCE Debian Edition 201104

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
renatortb

Tip: Live USB of the Linux Mint XFCE Debian Edition 201104

Post by renatortb »

Hello everybody, it was hard for me to find in the forum how to make a Live USB of the Linux Mint XFCE Debian Edition 201104.

I tried the Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/), but it dosen't work in anyway for me...

Thinking in that, here is the tip: use the "Universal USB Installer" from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ (it works only in Windows).

To make a LiveUSB, download the distro and the "Universal USB Installer". After, open the program, chose Linux Mint Debian XFCE, browse where is the ISO image of the distro, select the USB drive and click "Create". Job done!!

Hope this tip help others newbies like me...

Edit: when you update the system, it will ask a lot of things. Just do "next/yes" thing. After the update get complete, go to this post to get the things allright: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 48&start=0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sdrubble

Re: Tip: Live USB of the Linux Mint XFCE Debian Edition 2011

Post by sdrubble »

Oi Renato,

My experience has been almost the exact opposite of yours.

I DID manage to boot LMDE-XFCE Live from an old 1 Gb pendrive using unetbootin with zero problems - mind you, with only 6 Mb of free space left on the stick afterwards. :shock:

OTOH, before that I had no success with having it boot from a 320 Gb USB HD using pendrivelinux's 'MultiBOOTISOs' (which BTW is no longer maintained, I believe). I also tried some some manual tweaks between the expanded ISO files and grub4dos, with no success at all.

The only issue with unetbootin for me is, only ONE distro can be installed at a time. Other than that, I recall having no other issues with the other (few) times I've used it. However it MIGHT have issues (just a guess) depending on the type of device you're trying to install on.

Cheers & abraços
renatortb

Re: Tip: Live USB of the Linux Mint XFCE Debian Edition 2011

Post by renatortb »

sdrubble wrote:Oi Renato,

My experience has been almost the exact opposite of yours.

I DID manage to boot LMDE-XFCE Live from an old 1 Gb pendrive using unetbootin with zero problems - mind you, with only 6 Mb of free space left on the stick afterwards. :shock:

OTOH, before that I had no success with having it boot from a 320 Gb USB HD using pendrivelinux's 'MultiBOOTISOs' (which BTW is no longer maintained, I believe). I also tried some some manual tweaks between the expanded ISO files and grub4dos, with no success at all.

The only issue with unetbootin for me is, only ONE distro can be installed at a time. Other than that, I recall having no other issues with the other (few) times I've used it. However it MIGHT have issues (just a guess) depending on the type of device you're trying to install on.

Cheers & abraços
That is very curious... For me the unetbootin from windows did not work in anyway... Well, it is good to now that it can work for some people. Thanks for your contribution.

Return to “LMDE Archive”