incoming Gnome 3 and fallback mode arrival?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

incoming Gnome 3 and fallback mode arrival?

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Coming from Ubuntu. Now LMDE is preparing for Gnome 3 whose arrival is said to be "round the corner".
I will be happy to try the real Gnome 3, but I also would like, if I am disappointed for some reason, to be able to use quickly an alternative solution

That's why I have questions about the Gnome 3 so-called fallback mode:
- Will the fallback mode arrive as part of these Gnome 3 packages or will it be, for some reason, delayed?
- I've been a Compiz user for some years now, and see no reason to give it up. I know that Compiz is compatible with fallback mode. Will it be still available for LMDE fallback or will we have to wait?

Is there a paper somewhere describing the way Gnome 3 will be installed here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: incoming Gnome 3 and fallback mode arrival?

Post by roger64 »

Thanks very much for all your Debian links. :)

I'll write here the answer to my question, as soon as I find it.

I am worried that the swich to Gnome 3 (and gtk 3) will make disappear most of needed applets (checkgmail, parcellite, dropbox, some Wine programs) even if probably current ones like Shutter, Network Manager and Sound will probably have a new version 3. Some old GTK2 programs important for me (like Notecase which holds all my notes, the apwal launcher, maybe trayer and very probably others) will also not work anymore.

Very probably, overtime, all these missing things will be corrected, but I expect some months trouble due to these kinds of problems.

Will gnome-panel fallback look like fruit cake without fruit?
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Second time I've seen that link on these forums. It's hilarious. It's contemporary. It's meaningful. Once is enough.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

jeffreyC wrote:Another link about Gnome 3 for you

http://www.christoph-wickert.de/blog/20 ... f-the-day/
:lol: better that than to cry. And the resolution for his very common sense RFE has been:
Resolution: WONTFIX
This seems to be a common contemporary trend though. Where did Microsoft got this idea of ignoring any suggestion for Windows 8 from ? Maybe the explanation is that W7 was much too well received...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20076 ... =rtcol;pop

Maybe, the best way to realize it's going to be a true revolution is to know that it must hit you hard.

Return to “LMDE Archive”