Testing to Squeeze Question

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DataMan

Testing to Squeeze Question

Post by DataMan »

Briefly, I'm running parallel universe's (dark matter & white matter aka 2 installs of Mint Debian). I have one of the installs that I hope to move to my production build status (i.e. use on a daily basis as my default ops). The other one is volatile (i.e. use as a test bed for new apps and aggressive updates). I would like to deploy the production at the "squeeze" level for the sake of stability. The other ops would remain at "testing".

This all brings me to my question which I would appreciate feedback from collective-in-the-know. Are there any consequences I should be aware of in taking an install from a "testing" to a "squeeze" repository level?

TIA,

-DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Testing to Squeeze Question

Post by tdockery97 »

At this point I'm not sure you could safely downgrade to Squeeze from an up-to-date Testing install. There have been more than 1,000 updates since Squeeze came out in February, many of which I'm sure would conflict with current Squeeze dependencies. IMO it would be safer to do a fresh install of the 201101 LMDE iso, change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to Squeeze before doing any updates, then apply the updates. That way you will have a pure Squeeze system.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

An excellent starting point would be found in the Mint Community Tutorial Section.

There is a complete guide to setting up LMDE-Squeeze from a fresh install.

Dyfi
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Dyfi:

Thanks for your response. I'm more than familiar with how to set up a native Squeeze (which was not a question in my post).

Tdocketr97:

The reason for the migration from a "testing" to "squeeze" is that some of the apps that I use build out to the correct version in testing but not in a native squeeze build. My reasoning was to build and stabilize in testing then change the repositories over to squeeze for stability. I put this into play recently and weathered the 3.0 kernel upgrade ok while in squeeze.

Thanks,

-DataMan

Return to “LMDE Archive”