LMDE RC

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Andrew33

Re: LMDE RC

Post by Andrew33 »

Ok.....I got my machine put together, the case is a Rosewill Mid-Tower w/500watt power supply, the DDR2 memory was replaced with Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339. I was up late last night til 2am trying to get the LMDE201108 64bit respin to work on the desktop.....let's put it this way, it wouldn't boot right away from the DVD....it would stall....I'd get to the boot menu where it has the choices of booting to the OS or compatibility mode, I'd choose to boot and the machine would just sit there looking real dumb....wouldn't go into the OS. I tried going into checking the integrity of the DVD and it was ok, finally I just gave up on the new respin and went with the earlier version 201007 64bit......I got a little further than the first disk and did get it installed. The funny frustrating part about that, was that after the install was finished, it would take as much as 6 or more tries to get into the main window (having to reboot to get it to behave itself and do what it's suppose to do). Once inside, I started doing updates and get to a certain point and the screen would scramble to a point where I couldn't see anything, then rebooting to fix it, have to do multiple tries to get back in.....this has been the case as well today, finally getting to frustrated with it, I just turned everything off. Right now, I'm not sure what's going on, what I'm suspecting is my onboard video NVIDIA GeForce 7025, which we all know is having major issues right now with drivers (with Nvidia). I think what I'll have to do is to go with an ATI Radeon card PCIe 2.0x16. This is just really frustrating, because I'd like to start testing the new 64bit. If anyone has any input or ideas on this, let me know...I'd greatly appreciate it....cheers

Andrew
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like a video problem.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Do you think that has anything to do with the boot problems?....occassionally, I'll get multipal blinking cursors up and down the screen
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

andrew5859 wrote:Do you think that has anything to do with the boot problems?....occassionally, I'll get multipal blinking cursors up and down the screen
I can pretty much guarantee it. If it was me, the first thing I would do is to remove the video card and attempt to boot with the on board video if your MB has it (for example, the Intel GMA 4500 HD on board video driver is built into the kernel itself by default). If it does then you know the problem lies with the video card.

And personally, I'd buy a low cost Nvidia GT 430 video card just for troubleshooting purposes especially in the case of a new home built system which can always have problems at first. The GT 430 is a tried and true "media" video card with low power requirements and has absolutely no problems with the Nouveau and Nvidia drivers. I run one myself and have another just for testing purposes. Swap that in and see if your booting problems go away.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hello kmb,

The video being used right now is the onboard and the radeon is on it's way....I ordered it late last night.....so right now, the onboard video is the problem, which is the Nvidia....in the bios, it's setup at the max mem @256MB which is shared with the onboard memory @ 8GB which at its max. Right now there's not much I can do until I get the other video card and go from there
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

One thing I've noticed - and I'm sorry if this one's been up before:

How come search is not available from "scratch" in thunar in the XFCE-version of the RC?
To me it seems weird that I have to download and install catfish before I get the search to work in the context menu...
9wiklund

Post by 9wiklund »

I have used Ubuntu since 2008, and I have helped my family and friends with Linux Mint since then. Yesterday I tried Linux Mint Debian, and it looks great. But there are a few issues.
jaycee wrote:I've just been testing Linux Mint Gnome 32-bit RC, and have been noting as many flaws as possible from relatively casual testing. Needless to say, there's not many, and they're very minor, but they're still worth polishing before the final release.
There's a duplication of LibreOffice Draw in the Applications: All menu. This is probably because it's listed in both of the Applications: Graphics and Applications: Office menus. Although applicable to both categories, for the sake of consistency, it would probably be better to remove the entry from Applications: Graphics.
The System Monitor is only displaying one CPU in the CPU History. My laptop has a dual core Intel i3 processor with 2x hyperthreading, making for four "CPUs" (threads). This is probably an upstream bug though...
Under Control Panel: Preferred Applications: Internet, the Web Browser has Debian Sensible Browser set as default, and Firefox as a secondary option. Both options point to Firefox, but it might be clearer if the Debian Sensible Browser option were removed. Also, under Control Panel: Preferred Applications: Multimedia, the Multimedia Player is set as Custom, with Command: rhythmbox, while Banshee Music Player, with Command: banshee, is a secondary option. Banshee Music Player should be set by default, and the rhythmbox text in Custom: Command removed, especially as Rhythmbox isn't installed by default.
Under Control Panel: Appearance Preferences: Background, the Gelsan Debian background (which points to /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-debian) is identical to the Default background (which points to /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint). Also, the Gelsan Green background (which points to /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-katya) is from Linux Mint 11. Shouldn't Gelsan Debian and Gelsan Green be removed? Also, under Control Panel: Appearance Preferences: Theme, Mint-X and Mint-X-Metal are both present, although there is no apparent difference between them. Should one of them be removed?
Well, that's about the extent of my nitpicking for now! This shows just how high the quality of this release is! Many thanks to Clem and the members of the Linux Mint team for their contributions to this excellent release candidate!
Also for me, gnome-system-monitor shows only one processor. I have tested it with dual AMD and two double Zeon (4 processors). My main question is:

Does Linux Mint Debian see and take advantage of all processors, or only one?

Furthermore I have noticed that the multimedia support is great as usual with Mint. But espeak does not work. I get 'buffer underrun' and it sounds really bad. Ubuntu based Mint does not have this problem.

I am really looking forward to the development of Linux Mint
/olle
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

9wiklund wrote:
Also for me, gnome-system-monitor shows only one processor. I have tested it with dual AMD and two double Zeon (4 processors). My main question is:

Does Linux Mint Debian see and take advantage of all processors, or only one?

/olle
Tjena Olle,

One - for some people - maybe stupid question, but I have to ask (since I've seen it pop up once or twice):

This thing with your cores/threads not showing up, does that happen when running the "Live" environment (usb-stick or dvd) or is it the installed system that causes this?

If it's the Live thing causing you problems it's probably because of this:
Clem Says:
August 25th, 2011 at 6:07 am

About the kernel: We’re using a 486 kernel to ensure compatibility with a maximum of CPUs. As you probably know Debian stopped supporting the non-pae 686… by moving to 486 we’re loosing support for SMP but we’re guaranteeing support for non-PAE CPUs. Multi-core CPU owners can either opt for the 64-bit edition, or install the 686-pae kernel.
9wiklund

Post by 9wiklund »

muchos gracias gosa,

I have installed it onto a small partition in my AMD 4400+ computer, and it is the same behaviour as in a live session. Now I understand, that I should try another version with support for several CPUs as well as 64 bit architechture. (I usually avoid the 64 bit versions because of software issues.)

edit: Not necessary -->Please tell me how-to install the 686-pae kernel!

/olle

ps/ who knows about espeak?/ ds

edit: Now I have changed to the 64-bit version of Mint-Debian-Gnome and it finds all the processors. I'm impressed by its efficiency running HD (1920x1080) video compared to vanilla ubuntu. But the issue of espeak remains. It seems to work better in English than in Swedish. The following command probably fails.
espeak -v sv 'Hejsan allihop. Det här går nog inte utan att ljudet bryter ihop.'

Thanks again for a very promising distro
/Olle
Last edited by 9wiklund on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I have an HP PSC 1410 All-in-one multifunction printer and scanner and I found out this morning that the scanner is not recognized although the printer works fine. These types of HP "all-in-one" multifunction units are some of the most common types available today and in the past and I found it a bit surprising that it wasn't fully supported out-of-the-box when it is fully supported in Linux Mint 11.

Anyway, the solution is to install 'libsane-hpaio' via Synaptic and then reboot. Now the scanner portion works fine.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Darthanubis

Post by Darthanubis »

Terrible installer, did not mount swap, only asked about the install disk ignoring the other two disk, resulting in me editing my fstab by hand. Cant remember the last time I had to do that, good thing I know how. I like the mint tools, but for all the trouble I wonder if installing debian would have just been easier? I still love the effort. Bring on the lmde kde spin.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

9wiklund wrote: ps/ who knows about espeak?/ ds

edit: Now I have changed to the 64-bit version of Mint-Debian-Gnome and it finds all the processors. I'm impressed by its efficiency running HD (1920x1080) video compared to vanilla ubuntu. But the issue of espeak remains. It seems to work better in English than in Swedish. The following command probably fails.
espeak -v sv 'Hejsan allihop. Det här går nog inte utan att ljudet bryter ihop.'

I've been using Gespeaker with LMDE, instead of espeak.

Here's what I got as output: http://www.4shared.com/audio/AxmLs_zP/test.html

You should be able to play it using the flash player on the site instead of downloading it if you wish.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Darthanubis wrote:Terrible installer, did not mount swap, only asked about the install disk ignoring the other two disk, resulting in me editing my fstab by hand. Cant remember the last time I had to do that, good thing I know how. I like the mint tools, but for all the trouble I wonder if installing debian would have just been easier? I still love the effort. Bring on the lmde kde spin.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
The installer is brand new so glitches are to be expected. That being said, I agree--bad experience but the fstab problem is being fixed for the final.
9wiklund

Post by 9wiklund »

wyrdoak wrote:
9wiklund wrote: ps/ who knows about espeak?/ ds
I've been using Gespeaker with LMDE, instead of espeak.
Thanks, wyrdoak,

I heard your recording, and if that was what you also heard, it's all right. I will try Gespeaker :)
/Olle
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

9wiklund wrote: I heard your recording, and if that was what you also heard, it's all right. I will try Gespeaker :)
/Olle
Yes it's what I heard and it is what created the recording it also.

Sorry, I don't hear Swedish enough to set the speed right for the voice, so it was best guess. :wink:
9wiklund

Post by 9wiklund »

wyrdoak wrote:
9wiklund wrote: I heard your recording, and if that was what you also heard, it's all right. I will try Gespeaker :)
/Olle
Yes it's what I heard and it is what created the recording it also.

Sorry, I don't hear Swedish enough to set the speed right for the voice, so it was best guess. :wink:
Many thanks, Gespeaker works flawlessly, which surprised me, because it is 'only' a wrapper around espeak. Anyway it is set by default to use ALSA directly (not PulseAudio). It may also be because it adds to the language a voice (male or female), and sets 'nice' options for espeak that does not overload the audio system. Starting Gespeaker from a terminal, I could extract the espeak options and make the crude espeak work much better. But after repeating the command, I could make it break down underrun occured. Killing and restarting PulseAudio made it work again.

The result is described in the espeak-dialogue below ('säg' means 'say' in Swedish)

Code: Select all

olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ alias
alias grep='grep --colour=auto'
alias l='ls -l --group-directories-first'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias säg='/usr/bin/espeak -a 100 -p 50 -s 209 -g 10 -v sv+m1 2> /dev/null'
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ 
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ säg 'Det här går ju bra att spela upp utan att ljudet går sönder, kanske klarar den ett kommatecken också'
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ säg 'Det här går ju bra att spela upp utan att ljudet går sönder, kanske klarar den ett kommatecken också'
^[[Aolle@april-2008-deb ~ $ säg 'Det här går ju bra att spela upp utan att ljuder sönder, kanske klarar den ett kommatecken också'
^[[A
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ pulseaudio --kill
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ pulseaudio --start
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ espeak 'hello world'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm.c:7223:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ espeak 'hello world'
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ espeak -v sv 'hej värld'
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ pulseaudio --kill
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ pulseaudio --start
olle@april-2008-deb ~ $ 
So I'm quite happy now. It's only a release candidate, and works quite well.
Best regards
Olle
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

By the way, the LMDE Respin Final builds are currently being tested. http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote:By the way, the LMDE Respin Final builds are currently being tested. http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :)
and the most impressive thing in this new batch of tests is the huge fixes list :D we can say that almost all issues are being addressed 8)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:By the way, the LMDE Respin Final builds are currently being tested. http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :)
and the most impressive thing in this new batch of tests is the huge fixes list :D we can say that almost all issues are being addressed 8)
Yup, thanks to all us completely devoted testers. I think Clem should take us all to dinner? Buy us a few beers? No? Yes? Okay, maybe not since we're kind of spread out but how about gift cards? Something anyway. :lol:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

kmb42vt wrote: Yup, thanks to all us completely devoted testers. I think Clem should take us all to dinner? Buy us a few beers? No? Yes? Okay, maybe not since we're kind of spread out but how about gift cards? Something anyway. :lol:
He's already given us a nice shinny new OS. And you want he to feed your to? :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”