Linux Mint Debian Edition Breaking Frequency

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

How Often Does Your Distribution Break

Rarely - Minor rare breakages that are easily solved by APT
83%
Sometimes- Monthly breakages that require indepth trouble shooting but dont result in problems booting to system
17%
Frequent - Regular breakages that sometimes result in a system that won't boot
No votes

Total votes: 12

driekus

Linux Mint Debian Edition Breaking Frequency

Post by driekus »

I currently use Linux Mint 11 because it plays nice with SandyBridge, something that older version LMDE did not do. With the recent update this has changed and Im reassessing LMDE.
Debian has a very wierd view on stability. By what I read Debian stable is one of the most stable OSs around. Now LMDE using the testing repository of Debian and it is really hard for me to judge how stable it is. I can typically solve most problems that crop up where a package breaks and I have to revert to an older version or wait for a package to come out. However if my system doesn't boot it is at that stage I have a major problem that I can't really solve myself.
I thought I would include a nice little poll to gauge what the consensus is on this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition Breaking Frequency

Post by tdockery97 »

The only problems I have had with LMDE updates were able to be resolved with Apt. In nearly the year that LMDE has been out, I have never had a breakage that prevented it from booting.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hello driekus,

first, i miss the option 'never' in your poll :) i installed LMDE in October last year and never had to reinstall it. What
means, it never was broken.

second, there were few situations i couldn't boot the graphical mode after an update. But booting the recovery mode
for finding a fix always was possible. If it happens you can't boot after an update, take a look at

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502

or ask in the forums.

third, it's always a good idea running a rock solid system such as LinuxMint 9 LTS beside your LMDE. If you need time
for finding a fix for your LMDE that seems to be broken, it' s much easier to find a solution if you have a working system.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

tdockery97 wrote:The only problems I have had with LMDE updates were able to be resolved with Apt. In nearly the year that LMDE has been out, I have never had a breakage that prevented it from booting.
Ditto for me! Best thing since sliced bread!! :)

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

+1 ... I didn't vote, as none of the options apply.

I agree, with the others.
I have been using LMDE since it was first released ... and have never had a problem with it 'breaking' or somehow becoming un-usable.

I am writing this from the original LMDE (gnome) .... first I added the Xfce desktop, then - with the Fluxbox WM added.
Upgraded the repros to 'mint-debian-incoming' and the kernel to 3.0

:P I have never had a Linux OS-distro b0rk on me ... that was not self-inflicted.
driekus

Post by driekus »

My linux mint debian aspirations are on hold for the time being. I tried a usb live cd (made using lili) and when it boots I get a kernel panic and the whole system locks up. Will need to identify the cause of this one before I can give it a shot.
I wonder if it something related to SandyBridge as I have a Lenovo X220T with a corei7
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

if you switch to the new repos, you should see far less breakage as packages are now being vetted by the mint team before being pushed to users instead of coming straight from debian.

Return to “LMDE Archive”