LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby Xwang on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:34 am

Hi to all!
I'm a kubuntu user and I would like to switch to LMDE.
I've two laptops (an old toshiba one which I use as a sort of video player/recorder connected to a TV, and a newer ASUS which I use as my primary PC).
Both have Kubuntu 10.04 installed and I will start to migrate to LMDE reformatting the toshiba notebook since there aren't a lot of personalization on it.
I would like to install the kde graphical enviernment so I wonder if it is better to use the xcfe or the gnome version as installation base.
Thank you,
Xwang
Xwang
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby xenopeek on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:09 am

I would think either would do, and a respin of LMDE KDE will be made also.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13641
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby jaycee on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Xwang! :)
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the official release, or at least release candidate, of Linux Mint KDE edition (based on Debian). I expect it will be released within the next couple of months, and may have KDE 4.7 packaged at the time of its release. If you feel you can't wait, however, I'd recommend using Linux Mint Xfce as your base, as Gnome 3 will be pushed to testing repositories sometime in the near future, and will make for a larger update than Xfce 4.10 (let alone that Gnome releases are more regular than Xfce, at twice a year as opposed to once a year). Linux Mint Fluxbox will also be released soon, which would make for an even better base, given that Fluxbox is smaller again.
I hope my suggestions were helpful! Whatever choice you make, enjoy LMDE! :D
jaycee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:52 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby Xwang on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 pm

jaycee wrote:Hi Xwang! :)
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the official release, or at least release candidate, of Linux Mint KDE edition (based on Debian). I expect it will be released within the next couple of months, and may have KDE 4.7 packaged at the time of its release. If you feel you can't wait, however, I'd recommend using Linux Mint Xfce as your base, as Gnome 3 will be pushed to testing repositories sometime in the near future, and will make for a larger update than Xfce 4.10 (let alone that Gnome releases are more regular than Xfce, at twice a year as opposed to once a year). Linux Mint Fluxbox will also be released soon, which would make for an even better base, given that Fluxbox is smaller again.
I hope my suggestions were helpful! Whatever choice you make, enjoy LMDE! :D



Thank you for your answer.
If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang
Xwang
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby gavinhc on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Xwang wrote:If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang

You should be able to. When the LMDE xfce version came out in March, I added it to my LMDE install simply by installing the mint-meta-xfce package (and possible a couple of other xfce packages) from the Mint repos. After everything installed, I could select xfce as one of my login options in GDM and everything worked beautifully. I would assume that the same could be done when the KDE version is released.
AMD Athlon II X4 630, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 430 - 64-bit LMDE (Gnome3) tracking testing, 64-bit Archlinux, 32-bit Windows XP
Aluminum Unibody MacBook - MacOS X 10.7 "Lion"
gavinhc
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby Xwang on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Ok, so I can use the LMDE XCFE to familiarize with LMDE.
I hope to have enough time next weekend to install on my "video recorder" laptop.
Xwang
Xwang
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby affirmedatheist on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:56 am

Xwang wrote:
jaycee wrote:Hi Xwang! :)
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the official release, or at least release candidate, of Linux Mint KDE edition (based on Debian). I expect it will be released within the next couple of months, and may have KDE 4.7 packaged at the time of its release. If you feel you can't wait, however, I'd recommend using Linux Mint Xfce as your base, as Gnome 3 will be pushed to testing repositories sometime in the near future, and will make for a larger update than Xfce 4.10 (let alone that Gnome releases are more regular than Xfce, at twice a year as opposed to once a year). Linux Mint Fluxbox will also be released soon, which would make for an even better base, given that Fluxbox is smaller again.
I hope my suggestions were helpful! Whatever choice you make, enjoy LMDE! :D



Thank you for your answer.
If I install LMDE XCFE now on my secondary pc, will I be able to switch to the LMDE kde (when it will be released) without the need to reinstall from scratch?
Xwang


As said above, you should be able to simply pull in the KDE environment once LMDE KDE is finalised - all of the LMDE variants use the same repos.

I should add - XFCE is very responsive (and stable -- I haven't had XFCE itself crap out on me at all yet!), and is probably the ideal candidate for the older laptop. It's much more frugal with RAM than KDE (which can at times be a bit of a behemoth).
LMDE XFCE x86_64, Kernel 3.0.0.1, XFCE 4.8 | Gentoo Linux, Kernel 3.0.6, KDE 4.7.2, -march:core2 | Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Core 2 Quad Q9400, Kingston (value) 8GB DDR2 800MHz, GeForce GTX 550Ti, 320GB + 250GB HDD, ASUS P5Q-Pro motherboard.
affirmedatheist
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: LMDE XCFE or Gnome edition

Postby Xwang on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:57 am

Grazie per l'aiuto,
avevo scaricato le iso.
Adesso ho visto che sono uscite quelle aggiornate.
Se installo quelle vecchie, essendo una rolling distro, ottengo lo stesso sistema che avrei installando le versioni aggiornate, vero?
Xwang
Xwang
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests