LMDE - 1 year :)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

LMDE - 1 year :)

Post by zerozero »

yeahh 8) one year ago we were (i was :lol: ) d/l and installing this new beast 8)
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/debian/

i still have the first install, (lives now in a usb-hdd), perfectly functional (well, i cheated a little here, had to restore it a couple times from the backup - yep, clonezila is our friend)

what changed for me because of LMDE in this year?
- a lot, and hard to pin-point, i learned a few things about linux (there's still so much to understand :oops: ) i discovered a great community here, that helped me.

and for you, what changed?

p.s. a trip to memory-lane
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.p ... start=2650
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aljoriz

Re: LMDE - 1 year :)

Post by aljoriz »

I wasn't totally faithful to LMDE in that 1year period. There was a time I switched to peppermint and lmde back and forth but LMDE was pretty stable

I learned many things:
like apt-get commands
how to manually turn the touchpad on.
command line code by the dozen.
sometimes apps break like the gnome3 borking the terminal for xfce

Most of all I learned this Linux is community driven. We don't have to rely on some all knowing master to fix all our problems when a post in the forums is so much helpful.

I am happy with LMDE if I can get one wish fulfilled? its the easy install for gfx drivers pls pls pls
deleted

Post by deleted »

I love it.
I came from sidux, so when Mint went 64-bit _and_ Debian based, it was like coming back to an old friend ;)
-H
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

It was just a year ago this month that I installed my first Linux OS. That was Mint 9. I knew nothing of Linux, and was not very computer savvy. I found it much easier to learn than expected. I soon left Windows behind.

I decided to try LMDE, as an experiment on a spare hard drive when the 64bit version came out last Dec. I knew that it would be a "challenge" as it was recommended for more advanced users. But wanted to try and learn.

Long story short. LMDE is now my main operating system. I have tried 10-15? other distros, but always come back to LMDE. It works exceptionally well with my hardware. The Rolling aspect of it is another big plus. I feel the 6 month release schedule of most Ubuntu based systems is much too frequent. The general "look and feel" of it is the best of any Linux OS I have tried. So many other distros have real crappy font rendering. I have tried many desktops, but always come back to Gnome. The future of Gnome has me a bit concerned. I have tried both Ubuntu with Unity and Fedora 15 with Gnome 3. Not real comfortable with either one, but its too early in Gnome 3's development to give a fair appraisal.

At present I have my original Install (cheated a bit like "zerozero" with a coulple of Clonezilla recovery's) :)
This one is tracking SID, which honestly is not all that much more effort to keep stable than testing.

LMDE changed my whole interest in computers and OS's in general. Before I just "used" Windows, now I spend time daily learning more and more about Linux and LMDE.

I probably would have left the whole Linux thing behind, if not for this forum.
Its invaluable to learning and maintaining LMDE.

I have been a member of many varied forums over the years (most non-computer related), and must say that this is one of the most very civilized (very little bickering, or elitism found on so many forums), and so many knowledgeable people willing to freely help.
The forum administrators do a great job without being overly controlling.

I can see LMDE becoming "THE" Linux operating system.
The effort being made now with "update packs" is a good start in making the OS more friendly to folks new to Linux, and those who do not want to spend time "maintaining" it.

I am anticipating all the new changes coming down line.
I expect some rough edges, but I feel the development team is doing a good job, and am anxious to see what LMDE looks like on its 2nd anniversary...

Thanks to all the developers, and to all contributing forum members.
Its a pleasure to be a member here. :wink:
pan

Post by pan »

Ubuntu became real pain in the ass. With preupgrade to 11.04 alpha2 (yeah, I know it's not advised for daily work) I completely broke my system and so I started looking for something new. KDE isn't really an option (don't like it :D), XFCE is to plain for my taste, so I tested few gnome distros. LMDE is just perfect for me -> very fast, debian based with mint polish.

Congrats LMDE! :mrgreen:
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Much like Gene, I (successfully) started using desktop Linux a year ago. I had tried installing and using Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Fedora on various partitions and VirtualBox installs over the past 5 years or so, but I kept going back to MacOS and Windows. A year ago, I had just finished building a desktop and had coincidentally just heard about Mint, so I tried installing Mint 9 on it. I found it so intuitive and nice to use that I started only booting into the Windows XP partition on this computer to play games.

Not long afterward, I heard about LMDE and wanted to try it out, since I have always liked running bleeding edge software (I've been running Firebox betas so long I can't remember the last time I used a stable version and am now using the Aurora channel on all my systems) and didn't want to have to reinstall my OS every 6 months. When the 64-bit version of LMDE came out last December, I wiped my then Mint 10 install and started the Debian testing adventure - and I haven't looked back. I've learned a lot about maintaining a Linux system and have been using the same install since then, having added xfce to it when LMDX was released in March and looking forward to the full Gnome 3 coming down to testing (the screenshots I've seen of MacOS X 10.7 remind me a lot of Gnome Shell, so I'm looking forward to both stabilizing a bit more so I can use them as my main systems).
slowman

Post by slowman »

Using Ubuntu from 2007, really tired of upgrade-install game. I had tried to install debian leny on my laptop for a while then gave up. At the beginning of 2011, I saw LMDE. First, I installed xfce version on my Acer extensa 4420 as testing. At the same time, still using ubuntu 10.04 as a main system on my lenovo G555. I installed gnome version on both of my laptop until last month's new respin. I am not the type of people always want to try something new and just want to a stable system. LMDE is easier to handle than debian itself and more stable than ubuntu. Also the rolling version is the point that attract me. Yesterday, upgrade both of laptops to packs 3. Everything fine. No reason to change to other distro other than LMDE.
supergoo

Post by supergoo »

I bounced around abit during the first year of LMDE release. I tried Crunchbang which is quite good, I also installed and played with Slackware, great distro but alot of work, alittle too much work, but a wonderful learning experience . I also followed the Ubuntu releases and played with Unity ( The first version not really my cup of Tea) So in the end when I really need to get things done, I reinstalled Linux Mint Debian XFCE. I think I am done with the Distro hopping now, I will use a VM to checkout the new releases. I am liking the my LMDE. 8)

Supergoo

Return to “LMDE Archive”