Announcement: Restructuring the LMDE Forum <COMPLETE>

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
proxima_centauri

Announcement: Restructuring the LMDE Forum <COMPLETE>

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hello everyone,

In the coming days we are going to begin creating new subforums in the LMDE section of the forum.
Our aim is to better organize information by providing specific sections for users to post to. This should help the overall accessibility of support for LMDE users.

As the new sections become accessible, please begin to post new threads in their respective sections.
Eventually the main page of the LMDE section should show topic areas for posting (similar to the main edition), be locked for new thread creation (meaning you must post in a respective section), and will show an aggregate feed of all overall recent posts in each section.

proxima_centauri
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Announcement: Restructuring the LMDE Forum

Things are going well. I've managed to get a good list of topics to divide the LMDE forum. So far all of the posts for September have been categorized.

If anyone has any suggestions, or you notice a thread that was accidentally moved to the wrong place - please report it here.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Thanks proxima_centauri, for the hard work.

It should make it easier now to reference a similar problem already addressed.
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Good work! Thank you!
proxima_centauri

We're almost back-logged to the beginning of July 2011.

I created a new section titled "Archive". After we reach a 6-month to 1-year period of organization (I'll think more about this) - I think it's fair to put the rest of the old uncategorized threads into the 'Archive" for safe-keeping.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Looks good, thanks for the work on this :wink:
xircon

Post by xircon »

Quick question, whilst the old layout was far from ideal, it did have the advantage that I could see all the new posts. Is there a was to list all of all of the new posts in the LMDE area? Because if there isn't, it is going to be a pain having to enter each sub forum to see if there are any posts you are interested in / can help with.

The top-line board index 'new posts' feature pulls in a load of standard Mint posts, which are of little interest to me ;)
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

great work proxima and a very good idea xiricon
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xircon wrote:The top-line board index 'new posts' feature pulls in a load of standard Mint posts, which are of little interest to me ;)
Don't be too hasty. Just listing the LMDE new posts also misses out on BASH forum, all Development forums, all Chat forums, and all languages other than English. Something more fine-grained might be needed...

And hey, no discriminating! I'm running LM11 but I also help out the LMDE folks :evil: :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

xircon wrote:Quick question, whilst the old layout was far from ideal, it did have the advantage that I could see all the new posts. Is there a was to list all of all of the new posts in the LMDE area? Because if there isn't, it is going to be a pain having to enter each sub forum to see if there are any posts you are interested in / can help with.

The top-line board index 'new posts' feature pulls in a load of standard Mint posts, which are of little interest to me ;)
by xenopeek on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:30 am

Don't be too hasty. Just listing the LMDE new posts also misses out on BASH forum, all Development forums, all Chat forums, and all languages other than English. Something more fine-grained might be needed...

And hey, no discriminating! I'm running LM11 but I also help out the LMDE folks
I have to agree with xircon.
The new reconstruction is a very good idea, and well implimented,
BUT having the option to see all "new posts" or "active topics" in the LMDE sub-section is quite valuable.

I see xenopeek's point, but no reason we cant have both! :D
proxima_centauri

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

As I stated earlier, it is my hope once all the old topics have been replaced in their respective section - that an aggregate feed (Active Topics) of all the subforums in the LMDE forum show up where the old topics currently are located, on the main LMDE forum page.

Once all the old topics are moved, I need to change the main LMDE forum type to "category" from "forum", and I just want to be sure when I change that all the subforums remain intact.

Is this what everyone is hoping for? Or was there another feature people were previously using that I'm missing?

EDIT: I tested out what I outlined above and it will work as advertised. Will be similar to the Networking section under Support where you have a list of subtopics, and an active topics list underneath. Now it is just a matter of sorting out the last 500 or so topics before that is done. Thank you for your patience, it is a tedious process - but I think one worth it. :)
xircon

Post by xircon »

OK Vincent, perhaps I am being a bit blinkered :)

@Proxima_centauri, sounds good, I am sure everything will come together and it really needed to be done. If you need any help give me a shout.

Vbulletin has a very useful feature, you can specify the forums you wish to see new posts from, don't know if this is available for phpBB?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

Just on a side note: seems like Tapatalk doesn't see the new categories.... Weird

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

proxima_centauri wrote:Thanks for the suggestions folks.

As I stated earlier, it is my hope once all the old topics have been replaced in their respective section - that an aggregate feed (Active Topics) of all the subforums in the LMDE forum show up where the old topics currently are located, on the main LMDE forum page.

Once all the old topics are moved, I need to change the main LMDE forum type to "category" from "forum", and I just want to be sure when I change that all the subforums remain intact.

Is this what everyone is hoping for? Or was there another feature people were previously using that I'm missing?

EDIT: I tested out what I outlined above and it will work as advertised. Will be similar to the Networking section under Support where you have a list of subtopics, and an active topics list underneath. Now it is just a matter of sorting out the last 500 or so topics before that is done. Thank you for your patience, it is a tedious process - but I think one worth it. :)
Thanks prox!
Yes, this is what I was hoping to see.
that an aggregate feed (Active Topics) of all the subforums in the LMDE forum show up where the old topics currently are located, on the main LMDE forum page.
But, I see you have this well in hand.
Very nice, and surprisingly fast job in the re-arranging.
I can only guess at how much hard work it is.
Thank You for you efforts. :)
proxima_centauri

gotjazz wrote:Just on a side note: seems like Tapatalk doesn't see the new categories.... Weird
I know Clem implemented the Tapatalk plugin - but I'm not sure how it functions. I will investigate once I get a chance, thanks for the heads up.
proxima_centauri

I figured you guys shouldn't have to wait till we finished, so I implemented the active topics and simply put the threads not yet moved to a temporary section. :D
proxima_centauri

Well after a couple of days and a little bit of eye-crossing - the sorting is complete.
Enjoy :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

proxima_centauri wrote:I figured you guys shouldn't have to wait till we finished, so I implemented the active topics and simply put the threads not yet moved to a temporary section. :D
Hi again proxima_centauri

Thanks again for all the work.
I must be doing something wrong, as I don't see the "active topics" option on the LMDE forum
Active Topics.png
Or, did I misunderstand?

I only see it at the main board index, and that is for all forums.
If its not possible to do, no biggie, but its helpful monitoring LMDE forum. :wink:

PS.. Sorry to be a pain.. :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Thanks for the hard work. It's very much appreciated.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
proxima_centauri

Currently, there is a list of Active Topics below the different LMDE sections, you'll need to scroll down a little bit.

I am unaware of how to set up specific buttons like "new posts" or "active topics" to the LMDE forum page - as far as I know that is only possible for the original parent forum of Linux Mint. I will investigate further.

Return to “LMDE Archive”