LMDE and Gnome3 enhancements

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jenningsthecat

LMDE and Gnome3 enhancements

Post by jenningsthecat »

Hello: I'm very interested in the upcoming Linux Mint release 12, both because it may put a usable face on Gnome 3 and because it may include a viable fork of Gnome 2. My question is this: Will the Gnome 3 UI enhancements and/or the Gnome 2 fork make it into LMDE in the near future? I have a strong preference for Debian as a base distro.

I'm new to Linux Mint, but am a longtime user of Debian with Gnome 2. After having tried a lot of desktop environments and window manager / file manager / panel manager combinations, I settled on Gnome 2 as the only viable fit for me. Unfortunately, Gnome 2 is on its way out, so I need to find a maintained replacement. I recently tried LMDE with the latest version of XFCE, but for a number of reasons XFCE still doesn't cut it for me. Realistically, if I can't continue with something that I find at least as good as Gnome 2, then I'm on my way back to Windows, painful as that would be. So I have high hopes for Mint 12...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE and Gnome3 enhancements

Post by zerozero »

Clem said in the blog that the msge-extensions and MATE would be included in LMDE
Clem Says:
November 4th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

@thartist: Thanks for the feedback. The brackets indicate which windows are minimized (same as in Gnome 2), on the screenshots most of my windows were. There’s no relief and/or separation between items in the window list and I think you’re right… it’s missing badly. We’ll try to add this (it’s a matter of defining the style in CSS). For the icons, I’d like to get more feedback. We can revert them to normal looking icons, or we can make it configurable via mintDesktop.

@All (about LMDE): We’re holding the updates on LMDE at the moment for two reasons: X11 is broken upstream and Debian is in the process of updating Gnome to version 3 in testing. When Gnome 3.2 and X11 are healthy in Debian testing we’ll release a new update pack along with MATE packages and MGSE for LMDE.
jenningsthecat

Post by jenningsthecat »

Thanks - now I'm REALLY looking forward to Mint 12!
nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano »

[quote="Realistically, if I can't continue with something that I find at least as good as Gnome 2, then I'm on my way back to Windows, painful as that would be. So I have high hopes for Mint 12...[/quote]
Please don't be so dramatic... :D (going back to ms-windows is far worse than stop using a computer!)
In my oppinion, LXDE is an excellent window manager, and far better than XFCE, Gnome (any version), or KDE (2, 3 or 4)
Fluxbox is a great one as well!

Return to “LMDE Archive”