New LMDE isos (Pos-UP4) in testing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: New LMDE isos (Pos-UP4) in testing

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote: I'll have to try that phantom update-update. It may take a bit as the update server still chokes more times than not. That's the problem with being popular?
- but i think that you hit the nail there kmb (and my post in a humorous way tried to show :wink: ): the connection with the server are not yet 100% spot-on, MU retrieves this info from the server (so i believe);
- is this
The installer doesn't detect the user's country so it selects EN (USA) by default (this is because we disabled PHP on the LMDE server to ease the traffic for the release of UP4) here
related?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: I'll have to try that phantom update-update. It may take a bit as the update server still chokes more times than not. That's the problem with being popular?
- but i think that you hit the nail there kmb (and my post in a humorous way tried to show :wink: ): the connection with the server are not yet 100% spot-on, MU retrieves this info from the server (so i believe);
- is this
The installer doesn't detect the user's country so it selects EN (USA) by default (this is because we disabled PHP on the LMDE server to ease the traffic for the release of UP4) here
related?
It absolutely could be related. As DYI WordPress-er for the last 7 years, all that missing info for update packs as well as countries of origin could easily be carried through by PHP and it's associated DB. If they disabled it, we won't get it automatically.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
äxl

Post by äxl »

kmb42vt wrote:
zerozero wrote:- is this
related?
It absolutely could be related. As DYI WordPress-er for the last 7 years, all that missing info for update packs as well as countries of origin could easily be carried through by PHP and it's associated DB. If they disabled it, we won't get it automatically.
:?: Related to downloading? So US-citizens are favoured?
:D
fiver22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fiver22 »

My experience with installing LMDE xfce464bit and an odd issue:
-Boot live
-Install
-(set '/' -it warns you if not)
-reboot into lmde xfce4
-changed sources to latest (from incoming)
-apt-get update, upgrade -no updates
-As others (thanks zerozero!) have noted Update Manager shows current UP4, Last used Up2 -refresh, refresh, click Install Updates (even though none exist) and voila: all is well.
-Copy over Documents and a few packages (source) from my external hdd
Install proprietary driver for my weird gfx card:
-change to tty, kill gdm3, run NVIDIA 295.33 proprietary installer; nvidia fails complaining about proprietary drivers -offers to stop nouveau, I accept, reboot. switch to tty, kill gdm3, run nvidia installer and all is well, reboot. Yay.
-apt-get install nvidia -seetings and now I have my 2 displays, select 'span monitors' in 'panel-preferences'.
-enable compositing in Window Manager Tweaks so I can have a bit of eye-candy.
Things are starting to get normal :)
Oh -the dreaded insanely loud system-beep is back (remember it from the last clean install) -what POSSIBLE use is that except to cause heart attacks late at night? I'll fix that by throwing at it every command ever listed in any tutorial ever related to the issue. Die, ear-shattering beep, die.
As before Tap to click is disabled by default -I'm one of the few (it seems that HATES tap to click, so 'thank you' to whatever geek turned that off -I'm sure you got grief over it.
-grab software that isn't default but immediately needed (keepassx, quassel, smplayer, gnome-do, zsh and oh-my-zsh, etc.); grab Ff extensions.
And all is mostly great. Very Happy with this.

The only issue I'm having currently is an inability to change my desktops backgrounds. I 'Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Desktop: where you can select Monitors, 1 or 2 and select a default background image, or none, for each. The behaviour I'm used to seeing is that changes take effect immediately when selecting a new background (or none); however that isn't happening/ I seem 'stuck' with the gelsan_debian.png background. Related: I can't remove the default Icons (Home, Fs, Trash, Removable) so I'd say the issue is with all my 'Desktop Settings'.
I don't KNOW that this is related directly to the rc iso -it very well COULD be something I've pulled in since the install.Any thoughts?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

fiver22 wrote: The only issue I'm having currently is an inability to change my desktops backgrounds. I 'Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Desktop: where you can select Monitors, 1 or 2 and select a default background image, or none, for each. The behaviour I'm used to seeing is that changes take effect immediately when selecting a new background (or none); however that isn't happening/ I seem 'stuck' with the gelsan_debian.png background. Related: I can't remove the default Icons (Home, Fs, Trash, Removable) so I'd say the issue is with all my 'Desktop Settings'.
I don't KNOW that this is related directly to the rc iso -it very well COULD be something I've pulled in since the install.Any thoughts?
check this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 16#p565997
fiver22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fiver22 »

Thank you zerozero, that thread suggested I pull out nautilus and that fixed my issue.
jube

Post by jube »

hi i would like to use LMDE for my central linux partition ( i run about 10 linux/windows partitions all multibooting from grub2 )

BUT i am getting this fault on startup

"mount: according to mtab, tmpfs is already mounted on /run/lock

mount: according to mtab, tmpfs is already mounted on /run/shm"

and cant get it sorted despite a long time with the rc system, i noticed it come up in this thread in google so i was wandering if anyone had a fix, otherwise i need to abandon this edition and wait for a version without the startup fault. It sems to make no difference to performance but it def indicates that tmpfs is not set up correctly
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

jube wrote:i noticed it come up in this thread in google
:?
And that (and the fact there are quite few search results) most probably means it was just some usual Debian Testing hiccup which has already been solved there.

It doesn't look that bad actually. Just an attempt to mount the same things twice on the system start and to unmount them twice on the shutdown. Probably the Debian maintainers were in the process of changing /etc/default/rcS and other startup stuff - and just at that time the current testing became the base of the future Update Pack 4... oops :D

Well, it's just my guess. If it's so, it'll probably stay that way until Update Pack 5 release.
jube

Post by jube »

I am running SID and WHEEZY on another partition, have been running it for 3 months , NO such fault in SID, nothing even close in the debian DEV posts, Seems to me a Mint problem.
its not serious, but tmpfs is defiantly not mounted correctly.
I would just stick to wheezy and bring in the LMDE repos's but the Mint team have done such a fantastic job of the desktop prefs and setup, and its going to be a real pain to replicate all that on a new wheezy setup.
I cant wait till another update i need to decide on my core linux partition NOW :) LMDE is pretty well perfect for me except for this fault.
Is anyone else getting it, or is it just me ?? I installed using unebootin, i also tried universal usb creator, have not tried burning it to DVD but i think fault is going to be identical, i have tried disabling the tmpfs mount in /etc/default which solves the error message but does disable tmpfs completely, and does nothing for the error message at shutdown
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

jube wrote:Is anyone else getting it, or is it just me ??
Well, I'm getting it, as you can see in my posts on the 2nd page of this thread.
Not too many users look at what happens at the boot and shutdown screens (or use bootlogd to check the boot messages later), unless something really breaks :)
jube

Post by jube »

Monsta wrote:
jube wrote:Is anyone else getting it, or is it just me ??
Well, I'm getting it, as you can see in my posts on the 2nd page of this thread.
Not too many users look at what happens at the boot and shutdown screens (or use bootlogd to check the boot messages later), unless something really breaks :)
Yea i kind of figured that :), i suppose im being picky but a fault with the mount script ( which is where the error message originates from, in rc.s ) is really annoying, its at the core of systemV , its obvious that tmpfs has been mounted already by the time the script is run, but F***K can i find out why :), in the whole of google this error message only comes up twice !!! this thread and some obscure spanish thread, which gives no solution anyway :)

Ok this is a new release and only just settling down but i would expect someone to have some handle on it, but i can see from this thread a stunning lack of any response :) , no devs out there with answers?? :) :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

actually i found another reference to this in a polish debian forum
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... d%3D199921 (sorry for using google translate for this, but otherwise i wouldn't understand it :lol: )
and in that topic appears at least one reference to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=653073
HTH
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Haha, now I remember I've found that too, and after reading the google-translated text I've realized I'm still too scared to change something in this part of the system :D
jube

Post by jube »

zerozero wrote:actually i found another reference to this in a polish debian forum
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... d%3D199921 (sorry for using google translate for this, but otherwise i wouldn't understand it :lol: )
and in that topic appears at least one reference to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=653073
HTH
Yep thats the one i found, (ok not spanish :) )
The second link has a similar issue but with the root mount, its very interesting but not applicable i think, either way the fact that neither wheezy , sid, siduction, atopsid suffer from it and it does not appear in any of their forums is plain indication that it is a Mint problem probably caused by the installer. ( am guessing here ).
But im not bothered about the root of the problem, any kind of fix will do me, even a good hint on where to look.Im not exactly an inexperienced linux user but this is real heavy stuff.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, now that you mention it, the installer was already famous here and here (with the 201109 respin)
- if this is relevant here :shock: i dunno, this is above my comfort zone :lol:
jube

Post by jube »

Short of looking into the installer code we will never know, i have always been suspicious of those installers that copy the live cd then set up that image to function on the target system, its really only Anaconda that has perfected that method, lots of other distro,s have migrated anaconda for their setup just because of that level of stability, i wander why the mint team did not do the same ?
Anyway i have run out of time so am using wheezy for my core linux partition ( obviously with cinnamon pulled in, have decided to use XFCE instead of mate for the alternative desktop ), if i find a soulution on my travels through linux country will post here.

Return to “LMDE Archive”