mint debian and mint main discrepancy.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mintyed

mint debian and mint main discrepancy.

Post by mintyed »

I read in the linux mint debian site and found this info
  1. LMDE in brief
  2. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
  3. It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with a Gnome desktop.
  4. The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.
now you will notice that point 3 mentions the goal of lmde is to look identical to mint main editions. this is fine and overall it does.
what i want to know is why lmde has xfce version and mint main uses lxde.

I know main mint used to have a xfce mint 9 version. then there was a gap then they released an lxde i dont know why.

i feel xfce is better overall. it is best for being lightweight but also good look and feel. its a good comprmise between gnome / kde <-> openbox.

i think there needs to be a decision what to use so lmde and mint do look and feel the same. and either both have an xfce version or an lxde version.

This is just my thoughts on the subject.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: mint debian and mint main discrepancy.

Post by cwwgateway »

mintyed wrote:I read in the linux mint debian site and found this info
  1. LMDE in brief
  2. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
  3. It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with a Gnome desktop.
  4. The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.
now you will notice that point 3 mentions the goal of lmde is to look identical to mint main editions. this is fine and overall it does.
what i want to know is why lmde has xfce version and mint main uses lxde.

I know main mint used to have a xfce mint 9 version. then there was a gap then they released an lxde i dont know why.

i feel xfce is better overall. it is best for being lightweight but also good look and feel. its a good comprmise between gnome / kde <-> openbox.

i think there needs to be a decision what to use so lmde and mint do look and feel the same. and either both have an xfce version or an lxde version.

This is just my thoughts on the subject.
If you just look at the release notes, I agree. But Mint tries to keep a similar look across all of its editions, meaning xfce looks similar to gnome (at least gnome 2) and lxde. Also, besides the main release (which was, until mint 12, gnome 2), every DE is either based on Ubuntu or Debian, not both. At one point, back when everything was based on ubuntu, the kde, xfce, and fluxbox editions were all to be released only on lmde. This editions should mimic what they would be like if they were based on Ubuntu. The lmde xfce edition replaced the ubuntu edition.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mint debian and mint main discrepancy.

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator

Return to “LMDE Archive”