Mint Debian 6 Release

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint Debian 6 Release

Postby maybeway36 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I have decided to release Mint Debian 6 "Lenny/Felicia" upon seeing how stable the Linux Mint RC1 was and how well Mint Debian worked on my testing system. This first release is called Rev0, to signify that it is no longer a "development release" but can be considered stable. Of course, there's not really any support if anything goes wrong, and it is Debian testing, so you should have a little Linux know-how (and/or Google skills) if you want to use this.

The ISO is available from LinuxTracker:
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=ef0d1224460ab5b69d3623b1b95aa661414f758e - CD version (contains most software, OpenOffice.org needs to be downloaded at install-time, no live CD)
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=679023df26057407e86088ba3b928a50681ccf33 - DVD version (contains both an installer and a live system, but is a larger download)

The reason the DVD is so big is that the installer and live system are two separate components, so most software is actually on the CD twice. Debian doesn't yet have a stable live CD installer, although more work on a live CD installer will probably start in the Debian project after lenny is released as stable.

If you download this, please seed! :)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Debian 6 Release

Postby maybeway36 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Quick note: if after the installation you are having problems using the APT repository, run this command to edit the sources.list:
Code: Select all
su -c "perl -pi -e  's/lenny\/updates main contrib non-free/lenny\/updates main contrib/g'"

Then run
Code: Select all
su -c "apt-get update"
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 pm

maybeway36,

Have you looked at the sidux installer? It installs sid quite nicely.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:36 pm

maybeway36, thanks for releasing this. I am downloading the DVD and seeding right now. Fred mentioned the sidux installer, it is very good. I read somewhere that the Mepis installer is now open source too.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby wuying_ren on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:41 am

Downloading and seeding the CD version! :D

I think I'm going to try this release on a physical machine instead of on VirtualBox.
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

[Howto] Encrypt your system!
[Howto] Fbcondecor on Mint
wuying_ren
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nick on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:48 am

Hi
Downloading and seeding, whoever the single person who
is feeding me at 370kB - Thank you

Will attempt to install KDE

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby FedoraRefugee on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:03 am

Can you tell me anything about Atheros 5007EG support with this kernel? It seems the 2.6.27 kernel will support this card with the ath5k module, but Ubuntu chose to disable this:

The version of the ath5k driver for Atheros wireless devices included in Linux 2.6.27 interferes with the use of the madwifi driver for some wireless devices and as a result has been disabled by default. Many Atheros chipsets will work correctly with the madwifi driver, but some newer chipsets may not, and the madwifi driver may not work with WPA authentication. If you have an Atheros device that does not work with madwifi, you will want to install the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package, which includes an updated version of the ath5k driver. While not installed by default, this linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package is included on the Ubuntu 8.10 CD and DVD images for ease of installation.

I tried every method to get this to work with the intrepid/Felecia install of Mint 6 to no avail. Even blacklisting ath_pci with the native module or blacklisting ath5k with the imported module failed. :( I spent half a day on it and I am no novice. I am not saying that it is impossible, but it sure beat me.

Will Lenny support this wireless chip out of the box? F10 did with no problems. I do not mind building the module myself but I want to have reasonable assurance that it will at least work before I strip this install.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:45 pm

maybeway36,

I made time to download and install Mint 6 Debian. You absolutely ROCK! I performed a clean install on my secondary machine (Dell Dimension 4300, Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, 30GB HD, ATI Rage Pro Ultra TF), and everything is working just great. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish for me with a 1.5 DSL connection. I shall continue testing and post if there is anything highly unusual.

In the meantime, I can suggest that more people give this a whirl. You will be amazed.

Thanks for all your hard work, maybeway36!
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby knuckles on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 pm

i have to tested it, and it works great!!

I have only the problem to use the Debian because of the software versions. If i see Gnome in Felicia(2.24) main an than in Debian(2.20), i'm feeling that i make some step's back in time.

Is it not possible to make a DabianMint from the Sid repos??

An what about a 64bit edition??
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 pm

This was a pleasant surprise :D
Started downloading this morning, gonna try it out in virtualbox when I get home.

^^ Knuckles - I think that the highest version of Gnome in Debian testing and unstable is 2.22, so even with Sid repo's you still wouldn't have the latest.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby maybeway36 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 pm

It is possible to run a Mint Debian system on Sid - just install the regular Lenny version, edit the sources.list so point to sid, then do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" as root.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby knuckles on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:16 pm

maybeway36 wrote:It is possible to run a Mint Debian system on Sid - just install the regular Lenny version, edit the sources.list so point to sid, then do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" as root.

thanks, is it possible that you get the exact modification line from lenny to sid?
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:38 pm

maybeway36,

I don't want to discourage your efforts in any way, but have you talked to Clem about your release? If not I suggest you do so.

You need to be careful about releasing something to the general public using the Mint name. I think you may be getting onto thin ice here.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Rob Brill on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi maybeway36,

Fred is right.

I think something is wrong in the background.

You may contact Clem (submit your work and get his approval or not in considering to your development on Mint Debian CE or not). - It would be another Mint Flavor.
Things must be officialy defined and the whole comminity be notified about it (project).

I am a Debian + (Mint Gnome/Kde) user and i am very glad you are working
and developing this project. I agree with it but i am only a user and a member
of the forum.

However, i am afraid of non-official guarantees. It can generate a kind of misunderstood.

make sure you can understand my proposal. Make things appear officially clear (Hierarchy)

Cheers
Roberto :wink:
Last edited by Rob Brill on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Running on Virtualbox, great job btw :D

I had one issue with running synaptic though mintMenu - it wouldn't startup. Synaptic would launch from the CL, and the control center.
I went to edit menu to see what command was being issued, it was "su-to-root -X -c /usr/sbin/synaptic". not sure if that was the problem. but I changed it to "gksu /usr/sbin/synaptic", and now it launches from the mintMenu.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby knuckles on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:12 am

I think Clem already know about this version, because it is not the first Debian-Edition.

I realy like the work from maybeway36. If this version had only a actual Gnome version (with the rest of the software i can life and if i need an other version of a simple app, i'm able to install that with external sources), it would be my first choice Version.
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eeezzzeee on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:19 am

First off I would like to say I have been following this project for a while. I have been more than impressed with the hard work that has gone into this project. Without knowing if Clem has approved of this as a CE or not, I would just like to say before it gets called Mint Deian 6, that hopefully it has been discussed with Clem. I think this is a great project, and without trying to bring up bad history, I would hate to see it get into a situation like with what happened with the e17 mint project.
Keep up the good work.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:17 am

Clem has posted in this thread and has expressed interest in the project. maybeway36, has kept these releases in the forum so to speak. I personally thank maybeway36 for working on this project, building with pure Debian and making it installable is a very complicated process, try it some time! I think maybeway36's intentions are for the common good. Many of us have have been watching this thread with great interest and I don't see any problem with how this was released.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby crispata on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:02 am

Everything seems to go well for me until the end of the install. However, neither grub nor lilo will install. This is in VirtualBox. I've not encountered this kind of trouble with VB in the past, so I'm not sure what to look at. Any ideas, anyone? I tried installing both from the CD and the DVD...
crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maybeway36 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for all your feedback. I emailed Clem, and the next release will be called something other than Mint Debian. I'm not sure what to name it yet, so I wanted to hear your suggestions.
The other changes I have planned for the next release are:
  • remove MintInstall - it uses the Mint 6 Software Portal, which is based on the Ubuntu repositories
  • likewise, remove the link to mintInstall from mintMenu
  • Sun Java won't be installed by default. The license agreement messes up the font on the graphical installer.
Again, thanks for trying this out.

knuckles- See this topic on the Debian forums: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=33025
My guess is that once Lenny is released and Squeeze becomes the new testing, the included applications will be much newer.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Newbie Questions