Mint Debian 6 Release

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint Debian 6 Release

Postby hoe on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi maybeway36: How about calling it GreenCandy ... or CremeDeMint ...

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rooz on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:10 pm

More peers are needed for the torrent, especially for the cd... I want to download it now, but no peers... for the dvd only 2..
Open StudiOS: The Best Open Source Studio Software on a stable platform!
http://openstudios.wikidot.com/
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm

rooz wrote:More peers are needed for the torrent, especially for the cd... I want to download it now, but no peers... for the dvd only 2..

I'm seeding...
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rooz on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Zwopper wrote:
rooz wrote:More peers are needed for the torrent, especially for the cd... I want to download it now, but no peers... for the dvd only 2..

I'm seeding...

Thanks!
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rooz on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:38 am

please, peers needed for cd!
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:00 pm

maybeway36 , I have not tried Mint Debian, not yet, so maybe this post is useless because some ideas which I will talk are already there. In this case I'm sorry. :wink:

For your work, you should model on Parsix. I guess cmost has already said this.

Parsix = Debian testing + selected Ubuntu 8.04 backports + some extra tools (e.g. from Kanotix), adapted + a newer kernel + own theme + debian-multimedia.org repositories added by default.

This is why Parsix had to update its kernel independently of Debian testing (and it did, watch for Bug #84).

The advantages: "rolling-release Debian testing", reasonably stable and with newer packages than Etch (Etch doesn't even have Claws Mail), even newer packages in a few selected cases (because of rebuilding from an unreleased yet Ubuntu Hardy), a good default selection of packages, some extra advantages for Iranian users.

Disadvantages: theoretically less stable than Etch, theoretically less stable than Debian testing, possible inherited issues from Ubuntu Hardy. (In my case, I had to forcefully downgrade Brasero from 0.7.1 to 0.6.1 from Debian testing.)

Mint Debian could be: Debian testing + selected Ubuntu backports + some extra tools (e.g. from Kanotix), adapted + MintTools + a newer kernel + own theme + debian-multimedia.org repositories added by default.

I do not think it would be very difficult to do... Alan can do it with Parsix why Clem or another could not do it with Mint?

And Parsix has a LiveCD... and an installer (simple but efficient)

Plus about the repositories it could be possible to do also like Parsix:

Important Notice About Parsix Reporitories

Ramon r1 introduced the continent apt reporitory along with the official supported Parsix repository. The Continent repository consists of the whole Debian testing archive minus the official Parsix repository packages. Note that the continent repository for Parsix Viola is frozen now and will not receive updates from Debian except critical fixes. This is a new release policy to make Parsix more stable like approach. The Continent repository will be continued to be updated for the next Parsix release code name 'Boss Skua' and will be frozen before the final release of it, and so on.

To do a job like this I think perhaps it would be Clem to do it but I do not think it would be very difficult for him...

Of course the new versions will arrive "when ready" and not necessarily every 6 months as Ubuntu, with maybe one or two update releases to correct bugs (nothing is perfect) between the main releases.

Debian is a much better basis than Ubuntu although they are known for a "curious" politic about some packages, e.g tzdata. Ubuntu, Slackware etc updates this package quickly but Debian takes several months (years) for that. A few months ago there was an update for Argentina and I'm not sure that Debian has updated to the last tzdata package to correct it yet!

And please, no Mono by default! Thanks.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ctux on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 am

Hello maybeway36,

I am interested to test your current Mint Debian 6 DVD and I am trying to download it for past 5 days but no luck till now. The torrent needs seeders and I am getting a download speed of 15-20 kbs with my 1mb DSL connection, which looks like that i will get the dvd in next 5 days.

Do you have resources to upload the iso files to some ftp/http site as anyone who would want to test it will only be distracted away because of the slow download of torrent.

I am stuck at 52 % and it is still crawling , so can you upload the iso to an ftp so that i can complete the download from there?

thanks
ctux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rooz on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Do I miss a wireless network tool in the dvd version? If not, what should I use?
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maybeway36 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm

ctux: Try downloading the CD version instead. I might put it on filefront later. The CD has everything you need to install, just no live system.

rooz: I didn't include a wireless network tool beacuse I've nevr gotten wireless to work on Debian (ndiswrapper or otherwise.) If you need wireless, use Ubuntu or regular Mint. Sorry :/

linuxviolin: Looks like a good idea, but I don't know anything about Parsix and I can't maintain a repository, so someone else would have to step up and do this.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rooz on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm

I don't think Debian people don't use wireless networks... :/

Also take a look at mepis and dreamlinux, they could have some interesting tools too.. e.g. quick install etc.
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sylve-2 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:55 pm

seeding now but no leechers. will seed till late tomorrow.good luck oh revo-DVD
sylve-2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maybeway36 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I uploaded the CD to FileFront:
http://files.filefront.com/MintDebian6+Rev0+CDiso/;12742517;/fileinfo.html
MD5:
Code: Select all
43137da86317063efda3986362c30baf  MintDebian6-Rev0-CD.iso

This is the same ISO that is on the torrent. This is for people who want an HTTP download, because the torrent doesn't have many seeders.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Downloading now...
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Please do not release any ISO that refers to Mint without testing - I know exploder watches this topic and I think he is willing to help (and I know that Zwopper and others know why I plea for this)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby maybeway36 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:04 pm

The ISO above had been released already; I was just uploading it for users that can't use the torrent.
The next ISO will be called Glacix, and it will be uploaded probably within a month.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Husse wrote:Please do not release any ISO that refers to Mint without testing - I know exploder watches this topic and I think he is willing to help (and I know that Zwopper and others know why I plea for this)

I think that the only reference that has been made is that in the first bootscreen, it gives tribute to Debian and Linx Mint, on which it is built. All other Mint reference has been removed with the jump to Glacix I believe.
And Yes I know more then well, we don't want another war like that to break out.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zwopper on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:05 pm

maybeway36 wrote:The ISO above had been released already; I was just uploading it for users that can't use the torrent.
The next ISO will be called Glacix, and it will be uploaded probably within a month.

A smart move would probably be to rename the iso and look over the artwork asap.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby maybeway36 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 pm

The ISO I'm going to release will use the standard Debian wallpaper (at least for now) and the boot screen background will likely be a simple color or gradient. It will only mention Mint in the "About" screens of the tools (mintMenu, mintDesktop, etc.)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:20 pm

maybeway36, I am more than willing to help you out as far as testing goes. The quality standards we use are not written in stone, so to speak. The main concerns are multimedia playback, language support, (We have lots of non English speaking users and they are very important to us.), artwork and of course bugs that we create and have control over.

I know you mentioned mintUpdate and mintInstall having issues because of the Debian base and compatibility with our repos. This situation would be considered differently than the other CEs because of the compatibility issues with pure Debian. What I am trying to say is that there is some flexibility. The number one rule we live by is that nothing is released as beta quality.

There might be a way for you to create a Live / Install CD at this point in time too! I believe Warren Wofford (Mepis Lead Developer) has opened up the source for his installer. There are currently minimal versions of AntiX and Mepis available for people to build their own distributions with. I think there might even be instructions for building your own distro in the Mepis wiki. Mepis is based on Debian Lenny now. (Just something to consider)

I have looked at the work that has been done so far and things looked very promising in my opinion. The decisions are your to make, just wanted to let you know that I am willing to preform any testing you might require and I can provide you with a copy of the quality spreadsheet.

exploder
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby maybeway36 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll look into Mepis now. I've never tried it before, but it looks very interesting and well-organized. I'm downloading the live CD ISO now.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions