Mint Debian 6 Release

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint Debian 6 Release

Postby maybeway36 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll look into Mepis now. I've never tried it before, but it looks very interesting and well-organized. I'm downloading the live CD ISO now.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby npap on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Congratulations Maybeway36,

You have done a nice job I should say, and I would like to see this distribution succeed.
I downloaded the DVD of Mint Debian 6. The torrent was awfully slow and I think it is the reason why not many people are downloading.
I was just by myself and although I seeded, there appeared only one fellow who leeched for a while and then quit.
The CD version is not available for download, BTW.
The live Dvd is good. Very clean and snappy. I was so anxious to install it, which I did, but I don't know what I did wrong that I can't log in. My user name and password are not being recognized. I may have to do a fresh installation, I'm afraid.

It took me about 45 minutes to install. The Ubuntu-like (alternate) installer is very simple and fast. The packages being downloaded through the repos were something like 784 files. This requires a fast Internet connection, of course.

Now some of my humble advise:
Since I would like this project to be as successful as Mint, I would like to contribute with some suggestions.
1) The project has to follow some rules as to the legal aspects, as Fred mentioned in his thread above.
2) Get Clem's advise. He is democratic enough to co-operate with anybody.
3) Win Mint's approval. You will do better in the end. A Mint community project has more of a chance to succeed.
4) To start something new by calling it Glacix or anything else would take a lot of work to convince people and win fans.
There are hundreds of new distributions out there and yours might have the fate of some others.
You will need a forum, dedicated servers and mirrors, sponsors, financial support etc.
It took Mint over two years of hard work to establish itself.
Glacix could be another, separate project for you and the other creative fellows who would like to join.
5) As a final attempt to help, may I baptize Debian Mint as "Debimint CE".

Good luck to you and the team,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
npap

EDIT
A re-installation solved my login problem.
I am running Debian Mint now from my hard disk. Everything works like a charm. :) Refreshed mintInstall (it took some time).
All in all, this seems to be a good, working distribution. Will keep testing.
Cheers

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby maybeway36 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks for trying it out! I'd like to maybe make a Mint Debian CE someday, although I'm not sure when. Glacix is sort of my own project, but it will form the base for a Mint Debian CE if/when I make one.
As for the CD link: here's the file description page: http://files.filefront.com/MintDebian6+Rev0+CDiso/;12742517;/fileinfo.html
FileFront doesn't allow hotlinking, which is really lame, but oh well. I'd recommend people download the CD instead of the DVD - the DVD contains the live system and installer seperately and is sort of a waste of space.
I'll release Glacix 6.1 once I get the data back off the hard drive from my crashed computer, and then I'll try to see if I can make a CD based on pyfll and the Mepis or Sidux installer (it'll be hard, since I can't find much about pyfll online.)
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby npap on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:00 am

maybeway36 wrote:Thanks for trying it out! I'd like to maybe make a Mint Debian CE someday, although I'm not sure when. Glacix is sort of my own project, but it will form the base for a Mint Debian CE if/when I make one.
As for the CD link: here's the file description page: http://files.filefront.com/MintDebian6+Rev0+CDiso/;12742517;/fileinfo.html
FileFront doesn't allow hotlinking, which is really lame, but oh well. I'd recommend people download the CD instead of the DVD - the DVD contains the live system and installer seperately and is sort of a waste of space.
I'll release Glacix 6.1 once I get the data back off the hard drive from my crashed computer, and then I'll try to see if I can make a CD based on pyfll and the Mepis or Sidux installer (it'll be hard, since I can't find much about pyfll online.)

OK maybeway36,
Good decision. Your Glacix project should be interesting.
Thanks for the new download site. It's very fast. An average of 300 kB/s. I already have downloaded 94%. And I may try re-installing from the CD ISO.

As for my present DVD installation, I am having some problems now, although it was working fine.
I downloaded and installed "Quick Show" and the system froze up on me a few times. Strangely enough, now I can't log into the system in no way.
Just after I enter my user name and password, my screen goes black. I couldn't find a way to get the system to get back to
normal. :(
Cheers and success with Glacix. :)
npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby npap on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:42 am

OK! I installed the CD version. Running smooth. After playing around with it a bit, I think this version is better and might be the basis for an official Debian Mint distribution.
I am hoping that my feedback will contribute towards an official project by Clem and the Mint team.

You have done a very good job so far Maybeway36 and I think that somebody should take over at this point.
Good luck with Glacix. :)
Greetings,
npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby awong on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:43 am

Nice work, maybeway36! Please keep posting your updates. No one else is currently sharing their Mint + Debian work, so your efforts with Glacix (slick and quick) are very much appreciated! :D
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rooz on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 am

exploder wrote:There are currently minimal versions of AntiX and Mepis available for people to build their own distributions with. I think there might even be instructions for building your own distro in the Mepis wiki. Mepis is based on Debian Lenny now. (Just something to consider)
instructions to build your own Mepis? Do you know where I can find them? I ve searched but couln't find it
Open StudiOS: The Best Open Source Studio Software on a stable platform!
http://openstudios.wikidot.com/
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 am

Just ask on mepislovers forum. I am sure they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Edit: I did a quick search and found this.

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Remastering
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby rooz on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:36 pm

thanks! :)

Also take a look at dreamlinux, it's based on Debian testing and looks great:

http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/

It seems to have some nice quick install tools etc.
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:57 pm

rooz wrote:thanks! :)

Also take a look at dreamlinux, it's based on Debian testing and looks great:

http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/

It seems to have some nice quick install tools etc.

And they use XFCE as their first choice - way to go! *hint-hint Clem* :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 pm

You should see what your hinting about pretty soon, just waiting for Clem to find some free time to have a look. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Zwopper on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:57 pm

exploder wrote:

You should see what your hinting about pretty soon, just waiting for Clem to find some free time to have a look. :mrgreen:

I am indeed looking forward to it, but in my mind it should be the default choice for Mint as well, it's fast and full of great features not found in any of the other DE's!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby npap on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Zwopper wrote:
exploder wrote:

I am indeed looking forward to it, but in my mind it should be the default choice for Mint as well, it's fast and full of great features not found in any of the other DE's!

I vote for it,Zwopper!
I have the thing running happily, here and now. :lol:

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Mint + Debian + GNOME is running great on my Dell. I really do like it. I wish more people would download and help test it, but I have not found any showstoppers yet. I am extremely impressed.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Zwopper wrote:

exploder wrote:

This is in regards to the Xfce CE.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Rob Brill on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 am

Hi all,

What a confusion!

About Dreamlinux: It's is a Brazilian Linux Distro based on Debian/Testing and its actual version 3.1 comes with XFCE and GNOME desktop environment.

Then, users can choose (Option) to install XFCE or Gnome as a Desktop environment. For the next release, only XFCE ...(beeing testing as betas/RC yet?).
They removed Gnome and their arguments Gnome became a kind of a heavy desktop) . Indeed, in my opinion at that time they dared to include
XFCE + Gnome to grow in popularity. The distro itself it's a good one but not for me. ( I sold my half-old Macbook 2 years ago) - A System robot.

My opinion as a Brazilian guy: i don't like dreamlinux because the devs. want the distro with a Mac style. I am referring to the whole design.

Our Mint XFCE CE Edition is one of the best between other XFCE Linux Distros.
GoblinX as Live CD (Slackware-based), is really a good choice even

Regards
Roberto :wink:
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rooz on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Rob Brill wrote:Hi all,

My opinion as a Brazilian guy: i don't like dreamlinux because the devs. want the distro with a Mac style. I am referring to the whole design.
:

You don't have to copy the whole distro... you could use some aspects like the quick install tools for example
rooz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lavir_the_Whiolet on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Hey, anybody please seed DVD! :(
Lavir_the_Whiolet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby det4100 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Mint + Debian + GNOME is running great on my Dell. I really do like it. I wish more people would download and help test it, but I have not found any showstoppers yet. I am extremely impressed.

I would like to test Mint Debian Gnome but cannot find a working link of where to download it. The closest I got was the release announcement, which asked if I wanted to download a php file.??? I'm not all that familiar with torrents and P2P. I tend to stay away from them, I guess it comes from all the windows machine I had to fix because of them. (Not my machines)

I just built an AMD64 machine and have LinuxMint 64 running on it. Works great. I'd like to try the Mint Debian Gnome on it.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Check Glacix
it's a very informal Mint Debian - no Mint branding at all but it's under our wings so to speak
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions