Glacix 6.1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Glacix 6.1

Postby maybeway36 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Glacix GNU/Linux 6.1 has been released. This distribution combines a Debian lenny base with the theme and tools from Linux Mint.
For this version, only a CD version is available. It can be downloaded from FileFront or via torrent.
FileFront: http://files.filefront.com/Glacix+61iso/;12985678;/fileinfo.html
Torrent: http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=63f8a6a70b28a4c85bfd6f2896b559a53d9a52e5
The CD contains all packages in the default system except OpenJDK and OpenOffice.org; you can choose whether or not to download and install them from the CD boot screen.
Major changes from Mint Debian 6:
  • removed Mint branding - this version uses standard Debian branding
  • added packages for printing support
  • newest Debian lenny
  • Forked mintMenu and mintUpdate (sort of; the packages are mintmenu-debian and mintupdate-debian - they are still mostly the same as their Mint counterparts, but with a few changes)
A clean install is the recommended way to install Glacix. If you want to upgrade from Mint Debian 6, you can try running these commands:
(EDIT: you have to have the Glacix CD in the drive.)

Code: Select all
su -c "apt-cdrom add"
su -c "aptitude unmarkauto alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-utils dmz-cursor-theme eog gdm gedit gedit-common gnome-core gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-aurora gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf libdmx1 libfs6 libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libnotify-bin linux-sound-base mintdesktop mintinstall python-gnome2-desktop python-gtksourceview2 x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-xfs-utils xbitmaps xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xinit xorg xresprobe xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nsc xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-tga xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vga xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-voodoo xterm"
su -c "aptitude remove mint-debian mint-debian-settings mint-debian-specific-artwork mint-artwork-debiandata mintmenu mintmenu-debian mintupdate mintupdate-gnome usplash-theme-mint usplash usplash-theme-debian libusplash0"
su -c "aptitude install glacix-desktop openjdk-6-jre-"

For more info, check the torrent page. If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread.
P.S. If the torrent is slow (it will be at first), download from FileFront first, then seed the torrent in your client.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Glacix 6.1

Postby awong on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:18 am

I am running Glacix 6.1 in virtualbox - so far no issues and everything seems to be running smoothly.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Postby knuckles on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:41 am

I'm too running Glacix6.1 in Virtualbox, and must say, good Work like every from you.

For me mintUpdate do not work, I do not know if it is a bug or only a problem from my installation.

What I dislike is my personal mind, about the name. I do think that a the name-Change and remove of Mint.Branding was not needed. I pretty sure that you can find an arrangment with Clem, Exploder, Husse and the rest of the Team, that is good for everyone.
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby maybeway36 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Clem told me in an e-mail that it won't get an official Mint release unless it has a live CD installer and mintUpdate stable snapshots. I don't blame him, really; those are two things which would provide the same sort of user-friendliness, etc. that we see in Linux Mint.
Since it's not an official Mint release, then I had to change the name because of trademarks and image issues (i.e. if someone had a problem with Glacix, it's probably not Linux Mint's fault and they shouldn't get the blame.)

knuckles: I changed mintUpdate so the updates are unchecked by default; if you want to update packages you have to check them. Lenny is really stable right now, but in the future when Glacix uses Debian squeeze it probably won't be.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rivenought on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 pm

maybeway36,

I went ahead and did a clean install of Glacix 6.1. No issues or problems thus far in my testing. I did have a couple of questions in regards to the HP printing applications. What were your considerations for adding the HP tools? Have you noticed on your machine that the menu structure is kinda "unusual" in comparison to the rest of the applications? Maybe it is just how my machine is set up, but it looks different from everything else you did.

One package I added was system-config-printer. Was there some conflict or performance issue with this package being left out? It seems to work for me, and mirrors the performance in regular Mint.

I am having a very hard time finding anything wrong, to be honest. The hardest thing about the entire process was anxiously awaiting debian to download and install. It is very different from the zippy-quick Mint install.

As always, I appreciate your efforts. I am enjoying helping test things for you.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby maybeway36 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks for testing!
The reasoning behind my including the HP tools and not system-config-printer was because that's how it is in standard Debian. I don't really have any experience setting up printing on Linux, so that's what I went with. I'll probably remove the HP tools and add in system-config-printer next release.
For now, if you want to get rid of the HP icons, uninstall the package hplip-gui.
As for the install speed, this is because it's downloading all of OpenOffice.org. It wouldn't fit on the CD, since Debian install CDs contain many packages instead of one big compressed filesystem like Ubuntu or Linux Mint CDs.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Rebel on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm

I installed Glacix 6.1 on my hard drive and the installation was flawless. Congats to maybeway36 great job! I would like to make on suggestion. Please include the gnome-ppp dialer. We dial up users seem to get the short end of the stick when we use Gnome. All in all.....great job. :)
Rebel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby memphis on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 am

hi, i habe a problem. i would like download Glacix 6.1, but i have no seeders if i use torrent.
can i download it elsewhere?

thx
memphis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 am

memphis,
I think maybeway and others have stopped seeding. I know I discontinued seeding after a few weeks since there were not any leechers. I do not have the ISO file to seed anymore as I upgraded that drive to Debian Lenny. You may want to PM maybeway and see what he is doing at this point. It is a very good project, and I hope to see more progress in the future.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions