Glacix 8.0 release

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Glacix 8.0 release

Postby maybeway36 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

About halfway in between the last time I released Glacix and now, I did about half the work needed to make a new version. A couple weeks ago, I figured I'd finish.
LinuxTracker torrent
It's based on Debian testing/squeeze, meaning it will be updated with new applications, etc. until squeeze becomes stable, which looks to be sometime this year.

This is probably going to be the last time I release a version of Glacix. If anyone wants the build script I was using, it's included with the Glacix packages here. The .deb packages can be extracted with ar and tar if you want to see them.
Also check out the x-terminal-session package in the above 7-zip file. You can install this on any Debian or Ubuntu and it will add a session in the GDM dialog that launches a terminal; not just an xterm, but a nice-looking terminal with a window manager.
Last edited by maybeway36 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Glacix 8.0 release

Postby vrkalak on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Excellent. I appreciate all the hard work you've done and that has gone into making Glacix 8.0 ( a Mint-Debian or sorts ).

I'm downloading the torrent files now ... I always use a torrent to download a Linux distro. :P And there even a couple of seeders, online. WOW!!
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Aevum on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am

vrkalak wrote:Excellent. I appreciate all the hard work you've done and that has gone into making Glacix 8.0 ( a Mint-Debian or sorts ).

This :) Well done!!
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wlake on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm glad to see development continuing. Thanks for all your work. I use Glacix 6.2. It is actually my favorite except ext4 support is a little difficult. Isn't that also based on Debian Stable? How is this different? I have tried the torrent, but no success yet.
wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Postby maybeway36 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Glacix 6.2 is based on lenny too, but that was made back when Mint was at version 6 and lenny wasn't stable yet.
Debian lenny doesn't support ext4, but I think squeeze does. So I suppose you could install Glacix on ext3, upgrade to squeeze, then convert root to an ext4 partition.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby wlake on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 pm

I am a little confused from your reponse concerning Glacix 8.0 based on Debian stable. I just installed Glacix 8.0 using ext4 and it seems to me it is based on Squeeze/testing (much to my delight) and not Lenny/stable. I will post some impressions after I have used it awhile. But first impression is what a nice piece of work.
wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Aevum on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm

I actually saw it running at a friend's house, and even if I have never had a previous version of it I didn't dislike it at all! You got a nice work out there mate!
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Postby maybeway36 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

That's embarrasing. I made a last-minute change to using squeeze as a base, and then I waited a few weeks to test it before I released it. And by that time I forgot. :P
I'll be editing the main post.
maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Postby wlake on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01 pm

No big deal about the base being Squeeze. I am glad it is. I'm typing this from Glacix 8.0. So far the only thing I noticed that was a bit unusual was the presence of two sound icons on the gnome panel for sound preferences. Again a very nice piece of work. No problem with the installation at all.
wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Postby atovinov on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Glacix 8 works just great! I already use Debian Lenny, and have been experimenting with Debian Squeeze. Glacix is a bit heavier in RAM usage than my regular Squeeze install, but not by much. I wish more people would test out the quality of Debian and Mint together in this combination. I read where Clem is working on this, too.

The only warning I have it for anyone with an ATI video card that needs the r128 driver. There are some issues with it in Squeeze right now. It is not the fault of Glacix or your installation.
atovinov
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gramps50 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:33 am

I downloaded it and burnit to a USB stick using LM8 & USB Startup Creator, it boots to a boot: prompt. Is this correct? I was expecting a livecd for some reason. I was hoping to have a look at it before installing it.
LMDE ROCKS!!!
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Katzedecimal on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Gramps50 wrote:I downloaded it and burnit to a USB stick using LM8 & USB Startup Creator, it boots to a boot: prompt. Is this correct? I was expecting a livecd for some reason. I was hoping to have a look at it before installing it.

Yeah, unfortunately, being based on Debian, it is not a liveCD but must be installed either in a Virtualbox, partition or a spare computer.

I put Glacix 8 on my laptop but alas, could not get the wireless working. I went with wired for a bit but several of the Squeeze repositories kept coming back as unresolvable, so I'll have to play with it later when my life is less stressed.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Gramps50 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, I kind of thought as when I was looking at installing Lenny it did the samething but has some menu options using the F* keys. Thanks for the wifi tip I'm guessing I would have the same problem as I have on of the famous B43 wifi cards. I haven't tried it but I wonder what would happen if jockey-gtk was installed and ran to get wifi working on Debian

Maybe I see if it will work with my old laptop with the Intel wifi card.
LMDE ROCKS!!!
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ctuxy on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 am

will somebody please seed the torrent, im trying to download it

thanks
ctuxy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby r0xY1 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I would realy like to try this any chance it be on a server as torrent never connects
r0xY1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby steveo314 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:54 pm

yea it'd be nice. i want to try it out too.
apt-get install linux-mint-debian-edition

steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions