Mint Debian Testing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
shayney

Re: Mint Debian Testing

Post by shayney »

eric71 wrote:If anyone has previously tried it and can save me the time, I'd appreciate knowing how it went. if not, I'll report back when I've tried it.
Yes I have tried it here on a statler install, with a full dist-upgrade and gnome desktop manually installed after hdd install and THEN adding the source line (the same one you suggested).
Unfortunately I was unable to install the mint debian meta package due to file conflicts (wanted to install an unavailable version of gstreamer) but I was able to manually install the main mint tools (update, menu, backup, mint desktop etc) and haven't run into any problems.

I haven't actually tried to install a mint kernel yet though and with the above conflicts I think it can be considered more as debian with mint tools rather than debian mint.

<EDIT>
Actually, the mint debian repo doesn't seem to contain a mint kernel but a couple of packages do point to specific kernel version which DOES install with no problems.
The gstreamer problem is specifically plugins-really-bad which is nonexistent (I did try adding the debian-multimedia repo just in case).
eric71

Post by eric71 »

I have decided to do the same. I figured Statler had a few more of the things I needed installed already, so I installed that over my antiX installation. I saw the same problem with the really/bad gstreamer plugins not being available. I have selected all of the other mint packages and gnome-core. It is all downloading now. Soon I should have a minty Statler and can start filling in what is still missing.

edit - I was able to get everything to install by adding the Debian Multimedia repository with "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free"
shayney

Post by shayney »

Doh! I can't check at the moment but I think I may have actually added the STABLE debian multimedia repo.

Return to “LMDE Archive”