Mint Debian Testing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Mint Debian Testing

Postby shayney on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 am

eric71 wrote:If anyone has previously tried it and can save me the time, I'd appreciate knowing how it went. if not, I'll report back when I've tried it.

Yes I have tried it here on a statler install, with a full dist-upgrade and gnome desktop manually installed after hdd install and THEN adding the source line (the same one you suggested).
Unfortunately I was unable to install the mint debian meta package due to file conflicts (wanted to install an unavailable version of gstreamer) but I was able to manually install the main mint tools (update, menu, backup, mint desktop etc) and haven't run into any problems.

I haven't actually tried to install a mint kernel yet though and with the above conflicts I think it can be considered more as debian with mint tools rather than debian mint.

<EDIT>
Actually, the mint debian repo doesn't seem to contain a mint kernel but a couple of packages do point to specific kernel version which DOES install with no problems.
The gstreamer problem is specifically plugins-really-bad which is nonexistent (I did try adding the debian-multimedia repo just in case).
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby eric71 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 pm

I have decided to do the same. I figured Statler had a few more of the things I needed installed already, so I installed that over my antiX installation. I saw the same problem with the really/bad gstreamer plugins not being available. I have selected all of the other mint packages and gnome-core. It is all downloading now. Soon I should have a minty Statler and can start filling in what is still missing.

edit - I was able to get everything to install by adding the Debian Multimedia repository with "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free"
eric71
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shayney on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Doh! I can't check at the moment but I think I may have actually added the STABLE debian multimedia repo.
shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions