Easy Install ATI Proprietary Drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Easy Install ATI Proprietary Drivers

Postby blowtorch on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:26 pm

1. Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for: fglrx-control (it will install all necessary fglrx packages) and Apply.

2. Open up a terminal type the following 2 commands.
su
aticonfig --initial

3. ctrl+alt+backspace (restart x)

4. Bob's your Uncle!
blowtorch
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Easy Install ATI Proprietary Drivers

Postby Gotenks on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Tested with liqurix kernel. Thanks!
Gotenks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SattaiLanfear on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Edit: Resolved (See next post)

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for me, and I'm kind of at a loss.

I've followed these instructions (and done a clean reinstall and tried again) and for some reason I just get stuck at a black screen with, if I'm lucky, a blinking cursor. I was able to switch to a vterm and pull this from the X11 logs:

firegl_SetSuspendResumeState Failed -9

Also, I noticed that during bootup, I see a "address space collision on of device" message pop up. I'm not sure if it's related since I think it's referring to device 0:0:0, it's kinda writing on top of other text at the time.

This system previously ran Mint 9 with the ATI proprietary drivers with no issue. Unfortunately, I seem kinda forced to use the proprietary drivers because I'm running audio over HDMI to a TV, and between the audio and the overscanning problems I can't really stick with that.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks.
SattaiLanfear
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SattaiLanfear on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Ah... sorry, looks like either I did something stupid or the package manager did. Probably me, but I don't know how.

I went to install the ssh server so I could more easily pull data off of the logs and it announced that it hadn't finished configuring the driver, and proceeded to build it. I dunno how I interrupted it, or if for some reason it decided not to finish during installation. Once it was done, I tried relaunching gdm3 and everything was working.

False alarm, sorry and thanks for those who may have started looking into my problem before I got this post up.
SattaiLanfear
Level 1
Level 1

Postby burhangondal on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks, It's perfect.... after the command, jus restart ur computer and now i have ATI Proprietary Drivers installed in Linux Mint Debian (LMDE). I was getting a very bad battery life without these drivers like around not even 2 hours on a 9 cell battery and now i m getting like over 4 overs of battery life.....Thanks again OP.
burhangondal
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions