Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

Postby Gust on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi,

I don't know if I should post my question in here viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55107&p=315512&hilit=compiz+debian#p315512 but as I have a different graphics card, I thought I open a new topic...

Compiz doesn't work. I already tried the following:

- compiz --replace &
as I tried this the first time, everything crashed. At first the window decorations disappeared and after that the whole system stuck

- then I have done some settings in the gconftool: apps --> desktop --> gnome --> session --> required_components -----> and there I have set the windowmanager to compiz.

This does not do anything at all. When I now set wobbly windows in the compiz config manager, nothing happens. The system works as before. No wobbly windows, no other effects, I noticed.

Then I had a look into my second computer, which runs Ubuntu and saw that the actual package "compiz" is installed in Ubuntu, but not in LMDE. So I installed it and tried the first command again:

compiz --replace &

this time it gave me

Code: Select all
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager

thats strange. Because on this computer I also have had Fedora up and running and Fedora activates the desktop effects by default, because the Intel driver are in the system - no need to install proprietary stuff like with nvidia or ati.

So what do I have to do to activate desktop effects?

Any hints and tips would be very much appreciated!!

besides that, LMDE is great!!

thanks & regards
Steffen
Gust
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

Postby ottorto on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm

I have two pc's with intel video that needed the following to get compiz working. Cut and pasted from some forum I googled into while troubleshooting:

Run these commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

Log out or reboot then launch compiz (command line: compiz --replace&) and it works! You have to enable specific effects in the control center (like opacity).

Worked for me, anyway, on 2 different chipsets (one is a G41, the other a i3/H55). Good luck!
ottorto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gust on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:12 pm

this worked like a walk in the park!

Thank you very much!
Gust
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 pm

ottorto wrote:sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

I've been wondering if this step is really necessary. As the solution mentioned is an Ubuntu one I left it out and still had success in getting compiz working. It would be nice to clarify if it is really required.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ottorto on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:18 pm

No problemo, Gust! Glad to be of service.

omns: I'm not sure what the nvidia stuff is all about, I just threw caution to the wind.... I certainly defer to your expertise! :-)
ottorto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gust on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:21 pm

omns wrote:
ottorto wrote:sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

I've been wondering if this step is really necessary. As the solution mentioned is an Ubuntu one I left it out and still had success in getting compiz working. It would be nice to clarify if it is really required.

I don't think that it is necessary. As I ran the command, it told me that nothing of this nvidia stuff is installed, so it won't be removed. But it also does no harm.
Gust
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Gust wrote:I don't think that it is necessary. As I ran the command, it told me that nothing of this nvidia stuff is installed, so it won't be removed. But it also does no harm.

Thanks for the feedback :) I've been collating some of the compiz fixes for nvidia and intel and want to make sure I'm not including any unnecessary steps http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=680
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby maresee on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 am

i have ati mobility radeon.. i do only these 3 steps

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

compiz --replace &

and its work!! thank you
maresee
Level 1
Level 1

Postby outslider on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Thank you for solution! You saved my time!
outslider
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bluelight on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 pm

This works also on Intel DG965RY to get Compiz and Google Earth working. Thx Gust for this post.
bluelight
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions