LMDE Simplified Chinese is displayed as "□□"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zengtao420

LMDE Simplified Chinese is displayed as "□□"

Post by zengtao420 »

LMDE Select Simplified Chinese language after the installation,Chinese full display “□□”.No Chinese input method.No language installation tool in the control center.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimmm33

Re: LMDE Simplified Chinese is displayed as "□□"

Post by jimmm33 »

I had this problem with Japanese characters. I searched Synaptic for "Japanese" and found a Japanese font. I installed it and it worked.
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

Had the same issue with chinese fonts. Looked around in other forum topics and even the debian forums for a solution. Glad it wasn't in Chinese. :D

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ge#p298208

Quite easy to solve, just need to install Chinese fonts. Yes, synaptic does have it, you can just install any fonts but from the debian forum:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ttf-arphic-uming ttf-wqy-zenhei
Not sure if there's a need to generate the locales thingy but I tried it before installing the fonts, if the above doesn't work, type in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
And generate the zh_* locale which you need. Again, this last step might not be necessary.
rufong

Post by rufong »

stz*j wrote: just need to install Chinese fonts. Yes, synaptic does have it.
that is the route i took, recommended by stz*j and others.
synaptic>chinese in the search box>mark for installation
i was hoping to continue to use ibus for inputing characters, which drew me to mint
and i am!

yay for LMDE, yay for ibus!
devs, your work has impacted so many for the better..

Return to “LMDE Archive”