clonezilla help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

clonezilla help

Postby Sawer on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm new to LMDE and would like to backup my LMDE system. I've downloaded and burned Clonezilla, all good so far. I've read a couple of how to's but they don't seem to make sense to me, maybe I'm missing something. If I choose disc to image I don't see how to select just my LMDE partitions, I have both a / and /home. I'm backing up to a external HD which is showing up. Do I need to make a partition ion the external HD? Right now it's just one big one labeled storage.
Thanks for any insight
Sawer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: clonezilla help

Postby GeneBenson on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Sawer,

I'm no Clonezilla expert but I do use it. "disc to image" is just that. It backs up the entire disc, one partition at a time. So it will most likely start with "/" and then "/home", plus some more stuff. Each of these is kept in a separate file so should you ever need to do a restore you can chose to do the entire disc or just one partition.

You could make a separate partition to store the backups. It's really up to you. I just store them in a partition, on a second HDD, which already existed when I installed LMDE. It is an NTFS partition, which tells you something of where I came from. If you do decide to create a separate partition, just make sure it's one of the types that Clonezilla supports (which is really stating the obvious). :wink:
GeneBenson
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sawer on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm getting an syntax error message when it tries to clone /home works fine for /. there isn't any more info. I see googling that this is a somewhat common error. Any ideas?
Sawer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oobetimer on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:29 am

Sawer wrote:I'm getting an syntax error message when it tries to clone /home works fine for /. there isn't any more info. I see googling that this is a somewhat common error. Any ideas?

Remastersys is easy .. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Sawer on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 am

Remastersys doesn't work with ext 4 or Debian squeeze. This from The Remastersys forum according to the dev.
Sawer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby twa on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am

True that Remastersys for Debian doesn't work on LMDE . Always used Remastersys with ext 4 since Mint7-8- and now 9 LTS...always backed-up my sys without any problem...but these r ubuntu based distros.
regards 2 u all
When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread.
twa
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rijnsma on Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Here is all you want to know about Clonezilla.
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~spescha/wiki/til/backup_howto

!! Read and see certainly the 'restore-part' of this howto !!

[-When you have for instance a mixed multiboot system with ext3/Grub1 and ext4/Grub2,
-one distro MBR/ext3/Grub1 for the booting (very nice: PCLOS, which has a 'redo-MBR-option' with
adaption of menu.lst),
-and the others pointing to their own root (ext3/Grub1 and/or ext4/Grub2) >>
Clonezilla must not write Grub in the MBR at the end. In expertmode of Clonezilla
you can configure that. So Clonezilla MBR-restore at the end is o.k. but no Grub-writing in this
special case. If this is not a problem (not multiboot) no problems but read it anyway. ]

When by accident you can't boot anymore use a Berlios Grub/Grub2 Hybrid bootcd
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
The cd boots the system or any partition also when the MBR is overwritten, then repair the MBR
with a redo MBR. (Or do it the Grub-way, which is less easy).

(It's a pity there is not a simple remaster-tool to back up LMDE. Live Magic does not work
right here.) But Clonezilla can do the job.
Qiana.... mind your backup..
rijnsma
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions