Romeo + Mint Debian?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby rtrev on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Sorry, couldn't find what I wanted by searching, and I'm a newb to Mint.

Wondering how many folks testing Mint Debian also turn on Romeo? Is there any official advice about the wisdom of this?

Related question; if one has enabled Romeo, gotten a few packages, and then wishes to disable Romeo, will things eventually settle themselves out and all will be well? Or has one kind of shot oneself in the foot by doing that?

Thanks,
Bob
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby msuggs on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I use Romeo and haven't had major problems with it. There was some minor problems with MintMenu when it's icon structure changed (easily fixed) but apart from that it has been smooth sailing. I intend to disable Romeo when Squeeze goes stable and convert my system to a stable squeeze one with backports, so in answer to your last question,
yes you can. If you are happy with recent updates or additions then there is no problem disabling Romeo again.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 am
Location: non-local

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby rtrev on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:47 pm

omns wrote:I use Romeo and haven't had major problems with it. There was some minor problems with MintMenu when it's icon structure changed (easily fixed) but apart from that it has been smooth sailing. I intend to disable Romeo when Squeeze goes stable and convert my system to a stable squeeze one with backports, so in answer to your last question,
yes you can. If you are happy with recent updates or additions then there is no problem disabling Romeo again.


Thanks! Say, did those minor problems with MintMenu involve all of the icons disappearing? If so, I know it firsthand now. :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I want to fix it. You get a lot more real estate for favorite items when all the eye candy gets removed.

Or maybe that isn't the same problem.
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby jeffreyC on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 pm

The icons "disappeared" because the sizing changed to pixels, actually they are still there just really, really tiny
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby msuggs on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm

rtrev wrote:Thanks! Say, did those minor problems with MintMenu involve all of the icons disappearing? If so, I know it firsthand now. :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I want to fix it. You get a lot more real estate for favorite items when all the eye candy gets removed.

Or maybe that isn't the same problem.


In ~/.gconf delete the Mint Menu folder, then log out and back in again. Your icons will now be back, then you can adjust the icon size in the menu's preferences
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 am
Location: non-local

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby rtrev on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:42 pm

omns wrote:In ~/.gconf delete the Mint Menu folder, then log out and back in again. Your icons will now be back, then you can adjust the icon size in the menu's preferences


Oh thanks, they're back now. Appreciate the tip! Cranked them down to 20 pixels and it's perfect.
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby Azati Prime on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 pm

The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf. Any idea how to fix this?
One other thing that isn't related. I noticed now that the splash screen that comes up on log in has a debian background instead of Mint.
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby msuggs on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 am

Azati Prime wrote:The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf.

The black sun type thing is the new default menu icon from Mint 10. If you have a copy of the old logo you can set to use it in the menus preferences.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 am
Location: non-local

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby ShexNivis on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:23 am

Azati Prime wrote:The icon next to Menu is now sort of a black sun instead of the Mint leaf. Any idea how to fix this?
One other thing that isn't related. I noticed now that the splash screen that comes up on log in has a debian background instead of Mint.

It's probably in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu and if its not...
Attachments
mintMenu.png
mintMenu.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
best torrent client ever: http://www.tixati.com
User avatar
ShexNivis
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Romeo + Mint Debian?

Postby Azati Prime on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks. It somehow got set to visualisation-logo.png
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests