Running Scripts at startup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Running Scripts at startup

Postby Azati Prime on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm trying to get Compiz working on my machine. Every time I start up I don't have all the cool compiz effects like wobbly windows and the desktop cube until I do compiz --replace or reload it with compiz fusion icon. I found this script but I'm having trouble getting it to run on boot. I saved it as /etc/init.d/compiz and ran chmod +x compiz. When I run update-rc.d compiz defaults here is what I get.

kevin@bluetux /etc/init.d $ sudo update-rc.d compiz defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'K01mintsystem' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'K01compiz' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'compiz' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'mintsystem' missing LSB tags and overrides

Any ideas?
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Running Scripts at startup

Postby Azati Prime on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I found a much better way to accomplish what I was trying to do by following this guide but I'm still curious how to run stuff on startup.
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Running Scripts at startup

Postby vincent on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:10 pm

If you want to run certain commands at startup and with root privileges, just edit /etc/rc.local to your liking. Alternatively, you could use cron.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions