LMDE Updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LMDE Updates

Postby timmn1 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:33 am

To keep an extremely long story short, I was doing something, and ended up running dselect in Root Terminal.

Now, dselect found a bunch of updates that Update Manager seemed to be unaware of, and I installed them. They seemed to solve a number of other problems I was having.

Which brings me to my questions:

Why did Update Manager not know of these updates? I thought they were using the same repositories.

If Update Manager can't keep the system updated, is there another program out there that I should be running, other than dselect, to keep it updated?
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
timmn1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE Updates

Postby DetroitGeek on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 am

I'm here searching for the same answer. I see my notifier telling me I have 20 updates but the MintUpdate screen tells me I have 4. Checking the preferences of Mint Update I see levels 4 and 5 turned off, so thinking that's what was hiding the difference I turned them on. That didn't change anything, MU still showed 4 updates, so I turned them back off. What happened to the other 16?

--After the fact--

After browsing the forums I found our answer at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=58089&hilit=mintupdate and it makes perfect sense. Either wait for the maintainer to approve the updates at the LMDE level where MintUpdate will show the updates a few days later or run:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean

, which overrides the Maintainers decision and gets all of the updates available. There is also a discussion on the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade that needs attention.
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
DetroitGeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby k3lt01 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:43 pm

You should be very careful running "autoremove". If you don't know what you are doing to could render your system unusable.
k3lt01
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mads on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:22 am

timmn1, your question is answered in Linux Mint Debian's release notes (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):

"Known problems in Linux Mint Debian
Update Manager
The Update Manager used in LMDE is the same as the one in other editions of Linux Mint. No adaptation or changes were made yet to accomodate it to the rolling nature of LMDE.
..."

The best way to update LMDE is an ongoing discussion: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=58089&hilit=mintupdate
From what I have understood the preferred method to update LMDE is:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sgosnell on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:16 am

Or you can use an alias to make it easier. I have an alias set up as
 alias update='sudo apt-gtt update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
which allows me to just type 'update', enter my password when prompted, and get a full update. Aliases are very useful tools.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Postby timmn1 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 am

mads,

Thank you for that link, for some reason, it didn't show up when I searched.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
timmn1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mads on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 am

timmn1 wrote:mads, Thank you for that link, for some reason, it didn't show up when I searched.

No problem mate! As you say: Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing. :)
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions