installing LMDE on Virtualbox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Postby fraxinus_63 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:31 am

I am running PClinuxOS 2009.2. I am very keen indeed to try LMDE and I have been trying to install it in Virtualbox 3.1.2.

I have downloaded an ISO which I know is good (it boots and installs happily on another 'real' machine) but I cannot get it to boot and install virtually, which is what I need most.

When I try to boot from the ISO, after the 'Loading: please wait' message I get a series of message lines like these:

[68:720974] - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s! [modprobe:60]

The screen goes on issuing me with these message for several minutes - then I give up and switch off. I end up stuck with the same error whichever of the top two GRUB menu options I choose (normal boot or compatibility mode).

Any suggestions welcome!
fraxinus_63
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Postby ukbrian on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:06 am

This video might help you, you can also download and use the .vdi I use
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56065&p=320882#p320882
ukbrian
ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Re: installing LMDE on Virtualbox

Postby fraxinus_63 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks for replying, ukbrian. I suspect that LMDE does not like the version of VirtualBox (3.1.2) which I am using.

I have managed to install LMDE on a more recent version of VBox on my wife's computer -- but I cannot get the .vdi thus generated to boot cleanly when I attach it to a new applicance on my own VBox. I can export the whole appliance from my wife's setup, but when trying to import it to my own VirtualBox I get various errors (including the claim - untrue! - that the appliance I am trying to import has too many IDE controllers). Sadly, I don't have time at present to upgrade VBox on my own hard-working installation, but if/when I do I shall give LMDE a try.
fraxinus_63
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions