Root and home partitions not checked in LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Root and home partitions not checked in LMDE

Postby Serendipity on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 am

I have been running LMDE on a daily basis since September, and I have noticed that the system checks only my two data partitions after 30 loads. I have never seen it check the root or home partitions. Today I tried to clone LMDE before the deluge of updates, and Clonezilla confirmed my observation, refusing to clone my root and /home partitions because they have been booted 121 times with being checked. When I use "shutdown -r -F now", the system checks the two data partitions, but not root or home.

So far I haven't seen any problems that could be attributed to corrupted root partition, but with all the updates coming I am getting a little nervous.

Any suggestions?
Serendipity
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Root and home partitions not checked in LMDE

Postby sgosnell on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:20 am

Post /etc/fstab. If you have a zero in the last column of the drive entry, the drive is ignored by fsck. The previous column is for dump, which decides if it should be backed up.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Root and home partitions not checked in LMDE

Postby Serendipity on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks, sgosnell! That did the trick. I remember now that I had to rewrite fstab when I first loaded LMDE because it was all messed. I should have had 2's in that last column instead of 0's.
Serendipity
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions