Overlapping Panel + Compiz (Kind of frozen) [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Overlapping Panel + Compiz (Kind of frozen) [Solved]

Postby guimaster on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello,

I installed LMDE last night and so far I really like it despite my problem now. I went into compiz and I changed a couple of things so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But after that I created a second panel which I set on the left side of the screen with all sorts of applets added to it such as pidgin, tomboy, weather, etc..

Everything was fine until I selected for my new panel to lay on the bottom of the screen instead of the left. I figured it would appear on top of my other panel - as it did in Ubuntu - but instead now the regular panel has disappeared. Worse yet everything is unresponsive. I can hover over the items on the panel and read info from the icons, but if I click anything on the screen nothing will happen. I am impressed with the fact that I can at least ctrl+alt+backspace to log out. When Ubuntu froze I had to shutdown by force.

I Googled for commands to type into the command prompt that Grub offers on bootup, but nothing worked. I tried commands last night to disable compiz and to reset the panel but I would just get errors that it wouldn't work. I can't remember the commands just now though.

Any help appreciated!
Last edited by guimaster on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Commands I've Tried

Postby guimaster on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:48 pm

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity (This was accepted without error, but has made no difference)

Yay!!! I fixed it. The command above wasn't looking in my home directory. This worked like a charm:
rm -rf ~/.gnome ~/.gnome2 ~/.gconf ~/.gconfd ~/.metacity

Strange that this problem happened though... I Googled the command "rm" which means "remove files or directory" But I can't find out what "-rf" does. Can anyone explain please?
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions