Virtual terminals and user switching does not work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Virtual terminals and user switching does not work

Postby artz on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:36 pm

I have problem, I can not switch user and ctrl+alt+f1 does not respond - only black screen comes - ctrl+alt+F7 goes back to graphical enviroment.
I have nvidia drivers installed, I have tried to remove them- with --purge, changed version, installed gdm instead of gdm3 and changed back, removed nvidia conf. files. When I tried gdm to make user switch - error came that there is x-server error. When I tried to remove nvidia drivers, but then it does not load x-server, or have missing dependencies.
Does anyone have some tip, or know any log where I can find exact error. I don't want to reinstall everything.

Looking for a tip,
Artz
artz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtual terminals and user switching does not work

Postby artz on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I got it working. Over 20 reboots alltogether :D . The problem that I didn't saw was nvidia proprietary drivers along with nouveau driver. I think they had conflict together.

Edit:
After 1 hour of using mint, the problem came again :(

End: It was hardware problem - my graphic card was too hungry (geforce 6600gt), and PSU had been weaken by some powercuts. I changed graphic card and it works fine again.
artz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions